Daily check in May 27, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in May 27, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily check in May 27, 2020

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

I had a long day yesterday. At the time I was supposed to get off, once again I was drawn into a meeting about some reports until 7:40. Ugh.

I got tonight to get my hair cut. I describe my current style as Hermione Granger bushy. Now if I admittedly would use product and a hair dryer, I could tame it better, but I am not good at styling my hair.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning Maggie and all,

A summer day in Florida is predicted. Summer is when people do NOT come to Florida. And most of us have to adjust our "schedule" to deal with the heat, humidity and bugs. It is a test of love.

Yesterday was moderately productive. I dug up volunteer flowers and potted them up. I had to water. It was very hot. And I continued dismantling the front flower bed that just didn't work out. I laid down pavers and decided I had made the right decision getting rid of that flower bed. I cooked out on the porch, but it was too hot to eat out there. In fact, it was too hot to even stay outside to watch the sun set. It stayed hot all night. Love air conditioning right now. Fans too.

Today, I will work on a needed rearrangement of the kitchen. I simply must get all the glass dishes down to a level that hubs can easily reach. Twice now, he has almost dropped something glass. Still it feels unnatural to have my canned goods in the cabinets and the plates in the pantry. Well, life is change and adjustment.

Yesterday, I checked with my neighbor concerning her church's food pantry. Her church's outreach actually serves one of the poorest parts of the area. Unfortunately, the Covid shut down suspended all the church activities including outreach. Tragic.

We had fresh salmon for dinner and I froze 3 meals of fish for a later time. It was on a great sale and somehow it tastes even better that way. I also used up 2 bags of frozen vegetables.

Later today, I open the chest freezer and clear out food that really is no longer fit to eat. Leftovers that got left over too long. A lot of it is from the time before hubs started eating keto. I guess that I kind of assumed that keto would be temporary for weight loss. It isn't. He has to stay strict keto or the weight comes back with a vengeance. (sigh)

Today, I am grateful for electricity. It keeps the house cool and makes food preparation easy. Have a good day everyone. Be safe.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all my frugal hermits

Where did the night go? Passed very quickly. I got up at 4 to use the bathroom and thought I wouldn't go back to sleep, but I did. Before you know it, it was 6.

The pack has been outside. I'm having a cup of coffee. Thanks to Penny's advice, I was able to get it going and saved some money!

I'm reading the news and other things. Had an interesting evening. We made the local news in a crazy way. That got everyone texting and posting.

Will start getting ready to hit the trail in a bit.

Today I have to clean out the fridge of leftovers.

The COD ate the bell pepper i picked and the one jalepeno. He said it was super hot. No way will I eat those things. Glad he likes them. They are beautiful too.

Have a great day
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Another good day for a walk, partly cloudy again but temp in the high 70s, although a quick look at the next couple of days shows on and off rain for the next 3 or so days.

Got up late for me this morning because I woke up during the night and couldn't get back to sleep so I got up and went back on the computer for a while. Went back to bed around 4:00 and my sister woke me up a few minutes ago.

My day will be broken up with a Zoom seminar on Brain Health this morning, one of the programs I was participating in before the Pause. Other than that not much else going on.

Tonight for dinner is a hot pocket sandwich. This past month I had been planning my meals around things where I didn't have to use more than 1 piece of each kind of meat I had in the freezer because I needed to get more chicken and hamburger which I did. Next month I will again expand my menu but will still be including some of the other alternatives.

Today is Sun Screen Day a reminder of the importance of using sunscreen to protect yourself from the UV rays of the sun. This goes along with the Don't Fry on Friday about a week and a half ago. With the rate of depletion of the ozone layer, it's more important than ever to protect your skin.

At one time doctors were recommending using a suntan lotion with a Skin Protection factor (SPF) of at least 15; today they suggest an SPF of 30. Sunscreens should be used for all outdoor activities, including swimming.

And yes, sun screens should be used on cloudy days. UV rays can penetrate through the clouds and give you one nasty sunburn.

Have a nice day everyone.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Had some trouble staying asleep this morning. I have been up for a while, trolling through Facebook and the news, none of which is good and is giving me a headache.

Oldest son sent me an invitation to a national webinar on Zoom last night. So I downloaded the app and accepted the invitation. He is on a panel of educators talking about conspiracy theories during this pandemic and how they have affected hate actions. It takes place on June 2 and we will be at youngest DS's but I will take my laptop with me so we can watch it. Perhaps youngest can even get this to stream onto his TV.

Hubby got the tire people to check the old tires on the vehicle and they still have lots of life in them so that was one expense we didn't have to worry about. The snow tires are now stored away until needed next winter.

Frugally speaking, today will not be no spend, but I have a list and will stick to it. I am finding prices very volatile right now. Things are going up in price rapidly and really this scares me for those that are trying to live on what is paid out in government pensions. While we don't have a personal pension from other sources, we did save with the knowledge that government pensions would not be enough once Hubby retired. I don't know what we would do if this was not the case.

I plan on doing some sewing today, and then getting the denim ready for the outside quilt. May as well get the blocks sewn together (very simple 9 patch without a border). I am tempted to try something a bit different with this one and do triangles though. This will take care of some of the 4" squares of denim I have squirreled away over the years after cutting apart jeans.

I will do my regular morning walk about for exercise, and since we did not get a great deal of rain yesterday, help Hubby water the veggie garden.

I need to phone my brother today at some point, probably the early afternoon. He called yesterday and it was during the time we were picking up the vehicle. Of course I never saw the blinking light on my phone display until this morning. I have a feeling he might be a bit upset.

This evening will be sock knitting time, and I will do the one knitted row on the temperature blanket. You can actually see a difference in the temperatures in last years and this years.

I sent an email to the surgical waitlist here and there are only 6 people in front of me on the list right now. They reopened for surgeries on May 19th and if all goes well I could be having my surgery sometime in June. So looking forward to that. I just want it done and over with before we get another wave of this virus. However this means I have to stay healthy. Probably also means that Hubby will not be able to wait in the hospital while I am under and in recovery.

Supper tonight is going to be spaghetti and meat sauce along with garlic bread.

Joy today is in listening to the birds singing.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/