Drinking tonic water

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Re: Drinking tonic water

Post by Dgflorida »

Tonic water with quinine did seem to help my restless leg cramps, but one of the side effects of quinine seems to be sensitivity to the sun. I seemed to have experienced that. I already had a good Florida tan and suddenly I started getting red on ordinary exposure. As far as its impact on Covid, the amount of quinine in the water is quite small. Will it hurt to drink a small amount of it? Probably not. Will it help? Despite the opinion of experts, no one can know for sure. But washing hands frequently with soap and water is the best protection around. People with a compromised immune system simply must avoid crowds. Must wear a mask. Must eat healthy.

We all want to do something to improve our chances against Covid. Washing your hands for at least 30 seconds with soap and water frequently and not touching your face, nose, mouth or eyes is the best way to reduce your risk. People naturally touch their faces a lot. A mask reduces that tendency. Do not depend on hand sanitizer. Use soap and water whenever possible.

I have diet tonic water around for the leg cramps, but I have gone back to vinegar and salt water to balance out my electrolytes if I feel cramps coming on. I personally am not depending on tonic water to save me from Covid. But that is my choice.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Dgflorida wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:27 am Tonic water with quinine did seem to help my restless leg cramps, but one of the side effects of quinine seems to be sensitivity to the sun. I seemed to have experienced that. I already had a good Florida tan and suddenly I started getting red on ordinary exposure. As far as its impact on Covid, the amount of quinine in the water is quite small. Will it hurt to drink a small amount of it? Probably not. Will it help? Despite the opinion of experts, no one can know for sure. But washing hands frequently with soap and water is the best protection around. People with a compromised immune system simply must avoid crowds. Must wear a mask. Must eat healthy.

We all want to do something to improve our chances against Covid. Washing your hands for at least 30 seconds with soap and water frequently and not touching your face, nose, mouth or eyes is the best way to reduce your risk. People naturally touch their faces a lot. A mask reduces that tendency. Do not depend on hand sanitizer. Use soap and water whenever possible.

I have diet tonic water around for the leg cramps, but I have gone back to vinegar and salt water to balance out my electrolytes if I feel cramps coming on. I personally am not depending on tonic water to save me from Covid. But that is my choice.
I will take the advice of experts (doctor's, virologists and the like) over the recommendations of those who put forth conspiracy theories or fake medical advice. If we did take that kind of advice no one would be washing their hands or covering their mouths when they cough. Yes experts can know through testing, and the results of all those tests. Good medical advice always works.

I have tried tonic water for my restless leg syndrome and it does not work for me. But I am just one and I leave it up to others to give it a try for themselves as an aid to this condition. I am next going to try some magnesium as a doctor in my family said that might help a bit.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

When I had problems with leg cramps, it turned out to be low iron, which was diagnosed by my family practitioner. I took iron tablets for a while and ate more iron rich foods, and also was taken off a medication that was interfering with my body's ability to use iron. All was well in not too long. Which is to say there can be many reasons for leg cramps.
Mackie
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

Jackie, in addition to drinking tonic water I also have a soft pillow that I put between my legs when I sleep. although the pillow alone does not always help. My RSL was acting up again last night so I had to drink about a cup of tonic water. Maybe I should start drinking gin and tonic as a nightcap.

Bev
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

BevMoore wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 pm Jackie, in addition to drinking tonic water I also have a soft pillow that I put between my legs when I sleep. although the pillow alone does not always help. My RSL was acting up again last night so I had to drink about a cup of tonic water. Maybe I should start drinking gin and tonic as a nightcap.

Bev
Used to be my favorite summer drink!
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

BevMoore wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:55 pm Jackie, in addition to drinking tonic water I also have a soft pillow that I put between my legs when I sleep. although the pillow alone does not always help. My RSL was acting up again last night so I had to drink about a cup of tonic water. Maybe I should start drinking gin and tonic as a nightcap.

Bev
Hmmm, perhaps I should try the pillow trick. I can feel my legs starting to get that twitchy, achy feeling.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/