DGfrugal journal 2020

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DGfrugal journal 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Friday am

"The lockdown has turned fear into a virtue. Those who are afraid believe they are better people than those who are not. And they will seek to justify their fear because it is their virtue." Of course, it is morally right to be angry, even hate, those who have no "virtue". He can't see what it has done to him. He is being virtuous. I am sad for my old dance partner. The pandemic will never end. Covid will be around for years. I had suggested we do some traveling this fall. But he will be afraid. So I will stay home and plant some new trees.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am

Cooking outside. Eating inside. I broke out a frozen 10 pound bag of chicken leg quarters and they have thawed in the refrigerator. We had 2 last night with fresh chopped peppers, onions and tomatoes from the garden done in a Greek style. Hubs was happy. Me too. Tonight, more chicken, but in a different style. Repeat until the chicken is gone next week. Then fish. I am not an innovative cook. I cook to live, not live to cook. I am fine with that.

As expected, all the "Karens" on social media insisted their their virtue is not based on fear. That was why I didn't argue with old dance partner. He is a Karen. The monk said that the Karens would reject fear as a source of their virtue. It is their "truth". Eastern religious thought is so wise in understanding human nature. I am glad I read many different viewpoints and many historical documents of various cultures. The nation of Chop is apparently a failed experiment of no police. One of the characteristics of young people who do not understand history is an idealistic belief that somehow it will be different this time. Now Minneapolis will try a version of no police. But as usual, they do not understand the web of dependency. We will see if the voters do in November when their "community service" no police force comes up for a vote.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Saturday am 2

Tomorrow is goal setting day for the week. Last week my goal was to keep up with the grass. I have done a fairly good job of that. I have one area not done well because of the surprise Thursday rain. I have another area where I need to move some timbers before mowing. I will make an effort to get that area done today in order to have more completely completed my weekly goal.

I am working on the area meant to become the solar panel area. I needed to kill the grass there and then put down plastic before final prep. Unfortunately, the winds have played havoc with those plans and I have grass growing here and there. Gone to plan B.

No shopping today. Crowds out and about. Time to stay home and do stuff.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Ever seen these?

https://smartflower.com/products/

If I had any inkling we'd be in this house another decade, I might stick one of these on the hill out back. Goodness knows we get enough sun to power ourselves.

Then I'd trade my car for a full electric and only use it for in-county stuff and leave any longer drives to the hybrid and the gas-engine vehicle.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sandi, Oklahoma is well known for its wind and sun. I will check these things out. Thanks.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Sunday am

Today is goal setting day for the week. First on the list is to reduce the clutter on the open back porch. The storm with high winds on Thursday night tossed my empty pots all over the place and filled the area with little twigs and leaves. Because of my eye injection earlier in the week, I did not want to use the leaf blower to clear the area and risk getting dust in my eye. Sweeping has not been particularly successful. The next few days, I will get a bit more aggressive on the matter. Additionally, I will plan on unloading the truck a bit and staging the concrete blocks. Of course, mowing grass although it isn't growing much in this terrible heat. That is all that is on the goals for the week. May be too many given the heat. It is brutal.

Military son's deployment/temporary duty is almost over and he seems glad to be heading back to his base in Asia. I am always glad to hear him seem upbeat.

I have joined 2 more FB garden groups. One is a bromeliad group. Someone posted how they are attaching bromeliads to trees. Very pretty. I feel inspired to try that. Not now, but later in the year.

Now that I recognize all the Karens around, I feel more relaxed. Fear is their truth and their virtue and they must defend it at any cost. If you don't share their fear, they will become extreme in an effort to motivate you. It taints political posts and Covid posts everywhere. I have withdrawn from involvement. They are Karens. And Karens need Karens.

Snowbird neighbor has left for the north. Everything is quiet in the neighborhood. It is good.