Daily check in June 30, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in June 30, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.
LogicsHere

Re: Daily check in June 30, 2020

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Another day with sun and isolated thunderstorm threat for the afternoon with temps in the high 70s.

Was feeling upset with myself yesterday as I was in one of those not feeling productive modes again. I can't believe that we're starting the second half of the year already and I feel like I've done nothing for the first half of it. I have read 11 books in the last 3 months and took advantage of my cable movie channels and got to see 9 movies released in the last 2 years.

I think today I'm going to try to avoid the computer for much of the day unless its to work on a Sudoku puzzle or even play a few games of bingo like I would have been at my social club meeting. I've been spending too much time on You Tube.

BTW for any for who might be interested Hallmark Movies and Mysteries is featuring their Christmas in July. It started last night and goes through Saturday, July 4th. The movies start at 5:00 P.M. The Hallmark Channel starts their Christmas in July on Friday, July 10 at 12:00 N. Their shows through July 31 almost all day with the exception of the last 2 days.

Today is designated as "Meteor Watch Day". Also called "Shooting Stars" or "Fallen Stars", meteors are space dust and ice that enter the earth's atmosphere. They can be as small as specks of dust. As they enter the atmosphere at high speeds, they burn up, producing light as they streak across the night sky. Sometimes, you see them streak across the sky and disappear at the horizon. Other times, they end suddenly, burning out right before your eyes.

Seeing a shooting star is a sign of good luck. They say that with a little luck, it's possible to see a meteor just about any night of the year but I think its more than just a "little luck". The best times to see meteors is during a meteor shower and there are a number of meteor showers each year. The best annual show is the Perseid Meteor shower August.

Meteor Shower Name: Month:
Andromedid November
Delta Aquarids Late July
Draconid October
Eta Aquarid May
Geminid December
Leonid November
Lyrid April
Perseid August
Taurid November
Quandrid January
Ursid December

If you don't/can't see any where you live, you can always sing the song "Catch a Little Star" by Perry Como.

Have a great day!
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Another extra hot day in Central Florida. The night temperatures are staying around 80F. That causes the ac to run at night as well as during the day. Not pleasing at all. House temperature is set at 84F now for several days and hopefully that will keep the energy costs lower. The Mexican peppers are a bit spicy right now as well. Technically, they are supposed to be half as spicy hot as jalapeño, but right now they seem to have jalapeño level heat.

I am cooking with the leftover chicken fat and it will be used up within a day or two. Frugal, no waste. Tonight, I plan to cook up the last of Aldi's so called pollack fish. Switching fish is common according to Consumer Reports and other reports as well and that is what I think must of happened here. Cooking will be done on the outside porch to reduce heat load in the house.

Today, I will visit the nearby Bass Pro shop and look over their hunting and fishing supplies. Although I will be near the bulk food shop, I will not go there. Hubs is seeing some weight gain and he loves his walnuts. Nut meat make excellent hurricane emergency food, but it won't last that long if it is in the house.

I normally would visit my neighbor who took that fall and then had surgery. However, hospitals are centers of contagious diseases like Covid and I avoid people who might be exposed. I have been careful since early February and will continue to be careful.

Today, I am grateful for my good health. Have a happy and safe day everyone.
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thanks Logics for today's Celebration of stars. Most years, there are more mosquitoes than stars here in the south. In 2004(I think), while in Texas, I went away from the city to a state park and viewed a magnificent display of the Leonid. It was fabulous and I haven't seen anything like it since. I have always like astronomy and had some great opportunities with telescopes. The polar ice on Mars, the many moons of Jupiter, many lunar eclipse and several solar eclipse. What an amazing universe we live in!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning

Day 3 of staying home. Did not walk. Thought about it and said no. Better train and get used to mandatory stay at home orders. You never know.

Still woke up before 6 which is good. Do not want to get out of that habit.

Heard that my first cousin was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. He does have the virus and now both of his daughters do also. So that makes 3 cousins in san antonio hospitals with virus issues. Also have one in Phoenix but she is doing well.

Lets see what mischief I can get into today.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am Good morning

Day 3 of staying home. Did not walk. Thought about it and said no. Better train and get used to mandatory stay at home orders. You never know.

Still woke up before 6 which is good. Do not want to get out of that habit.

Heard that my first cousin was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia. He does have the virus and now both of his daughters do also. So that makes 3 cousins in san antonio hospitals with virus issues. Also have one in Phoenix but she is doing well.

Lets see what mischief I can get into today.
Sorry to hear about your family, Clem. Will pray for a speedy recovery for them.