Frozen Bell Peppers & Onions

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Frozen Bell Peppers & Onions

Post by frugalmom »

I never cared for the frozen ones you buy at the store. However, I froze my own leftover green bell peppers and it turned out great. I have not done that with onions though, but I am going to try it and see after this thread bc now I am wondering!? I think the frozen store-bought bags of onions taste nasty and not like real. BUT if you really don't want the hassle of cutting onions they have fresh diced ones in the fresh grocery aisle and maybe you can buy that and freeze it may taste better? Try that esp if you use only a little bit at a time. Let us know what you found to work best for you!?
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

I am really not fond of either one frozen, think I will just stay with fresh. To keep fresh peppers or onions from going to waste I will freeze in case of emergency and use in making meat loaves or spaghetti sauce. However, I want buy on sale to save money by freezing. I haven't made stuffed peppers using hamburger and rice for many years. I think I will put that on my menu to make in the next few weeks.

That use to be a favorite dinner when my kids were growing up. Mashed potatoes, corn and stuffed Green Peppers. Yum.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

Does anyone use the sweet onions? Not the Vildialas, ( sp?) but just a sweet onion. I like the Texas sweet onion better. No fumes, and good in most dishes I cook.
littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

ownedbydogs wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:37 am Does anyone use the sweet onions? Not the Vildialas, ( sp?) but just a sweet onion. I like the Texas sweet onion better. No fumes, and good in most dishes I cook.
Owned, I don't know why, but I've always used the white onions for some reason, but don't have any idea of why except I think they taste better, more crisp on a burger. I've never seen an onion label Texas Sweet onions, but do love the vidala onions when they are in season.

I had a hamburger last night and had a nice slice of white onion on it and it was delicious. I tried Patty's tip of the silverware and it worked like a charm, no smell on my hands. Don't tell me an old dog can't learn new tricks. I had never heard that before she mentioned it.

Hope you have a good day and hubs is feeling decent.
ownedbydogs

Post by ownedbydogs »

Hubby woke up hungry this morning and ate before I gave him his meds this morning. Thought the day was going great, until I went out at 630 to let the goats out of their pen and saw the damage last nights storm did. The creek overflowed and took out a section of fence and tore some shingles we had on our bridge over it. I have nailed the shingles back on and Jim our son in law has gotten the fence up enough to keep the goats in today. They weren’t happy with us since they had to go to their other pasture today farther from the house. he bribed them with candy To go. Lol my days have some odd moments everyday. Hope the storm didn’t hit you too hard.