Daily check in July 8, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily check in July 8, 2020

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

A storm did indeed pass through last night. Snuck out to check the rain gauge and see we got almost another inch of rain. That is going to make it nice and humid out if we get any heat at all today.

This will be oldest DS's last full day with us. He will be heading home tomorrow, probably fairly early in the morning. Or at least before noon. The house will be quiet once again, not that the DS's are a noisy couple of youngsters. Hubby and I talked and I will be ordering pizza tonight. Time for a cooking break (been over a month since I have had one such no cooking night).

Frugally speaking, I will be sticking close to home, walking for exercise, and doing all the regular frugal habits I have developed over time. I am going to try and pick up one new frugal habit each month from now until the end of the year. That would mean 6 new habits gained this year. Might try the same next year at some point.

I finished the first pair of mitts and have started the second pair. Hopefully these go just as quickly as the first. I usually wait until I have three or four pairs of mitts before I seam them and will do the same this time around. Christmas knitting will start next month. I need to make more dishcloths, scrubby's, and Hubby a new cardigan (must locate yarn for that one). Then of course there is the sewing portion of the Christmas gift giving. Though I am stymied over what to sew this year.

Other than the pizza (which a coupon and gift card will probably pay for) there will be no other spending.

No need to water any of the garden today, rain took care of that little task. I do need to make my grocery list though and once again try and match up sales with coupons (actually have had a pretty good coupon month, not so much in the food department, but on items of personal care that I planned on stocking up on).

Provinces are slowly but surely reopening. There are still things that I am leery of doing (like eating in a restaurant and now going grocery shopping as no one seems to want to give you social distancing....definitely wearing a mask from now on) but will try to support local establishments by ordering online when we decide to have a date night. I don't think I would haul myself off to the beach. I have seen pictures of wall to wall or should I say sand to water people, once again not social distancing.

Instead give me a lovely early morning walk, and my backyard to suntan in (not that I do) and I am a happy camper (though camping in some secluded spot does sound lovely). We have never needed a great deal and still do not. One thing this virus has taught us is how to be content with what we have, and grateful for all we do have.

Supper this evening is going to be pizza (no cooking and no heating up the house).

Today's joy is in the planning of what we will put in the cedars place. Thinking grape vines if we can find any.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Cloudy day, temps mid-80s and threats again of thunderstorms on and off.

Nothing exciting going on around here . . . LOL, just taking one day at a time. Just got back from the grocery store as I needed to replenish my produce and get some more milk. Today will revolve around reading, coloring and whatever comes to mind.

Today is "National Blueberry Day" having only recently had a day designated in its honor.

Blueberries make a great treat and are loaded with fiber and rich in antioxidants. Blueberries are one of the healthiest fruits you can eat. The most notable health benefits of blueberries is that they help lower cholesterol to promote heart health, reduce the risk of cancer, and can even help to slow the aging process.

Most blueberry bushes require at least two bushes of different varieties, to pollinate and produce berries.

Have a wonderful day.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

LogicsHere wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:48 am Good morning all.

Cloudy day, temps mid-80s and threats again of thunderstorms on and off.

Nothing exciting going on around here . . . LOL, just taking one day at a time. Just got back from the grocery store as I needed to replenish my produce and get some more milk. Today will revolve around reading, coloring and whatever comes to mind.

Today is "National Blueberry Day" having only recently had a day designated in its honor.

Blueberries make a great treat and are loaded with fiber and rich in antioxidants. Blueberries are one of the healthiest fruits you can eat. The most notable health benefits of blueberries is that they help lower cholesterol to promote heart health, reduce the risk of cancer, and can even help to slow the aging process.

Most blueberry bushes require at least two bushes of different varieties, to pollinate and produce berries.

Have a wonderful day.
Love blueberries, so perhaps a blueberry pie is in order.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I realized about midnight that i had forgotten to take my evening meds. So I took them and got my meds ready for morning.

I then slept until 5:45 this morning. I am a little groggy this morning. That is because 2 of my meds make me drowsy. which is why I take them at night

I finished loading and set off my dishwasher. There was just room for my breakfast dishes.

Using the night time ointment in my eyes has made a huge difference in how they feel. It does make my vision very blurry for a while after I get up in the morning. But the last few days I have needed to put drops in my eyes much less.

Penny
snowangel729

Post by snowangel729 »

We went to be kinda late after our family disney movie night. We watched toy story 4 and ate popcorn. We woke up around 9 am and made a small breakfast for everyone.

Plans for today include yard work and we will be eating out of the freezer.
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Snowangel, your family movie night sounds really fun. :-)

Good morning all and Happy Blueberry Day. Today I have to take Audrey to the vet. She is overdue for her shots and checkup. Our regular vet is open now by appointment only. And they lost their groomer. I usually have her groomed at the same time, so that's disappointing. I guess my next order of business will be to find someone else. She has so much thick silky hair and I know she would be a lot cooler with much of it gone.

My dentist's office just called. I need a bridge on the right lower side of my mouth, so they checked with my insurance. They have some sort of "missing tooth clause" which basically means they won't cover any portion of the bridge. The total will be $2,600 and change. I hate insurance. Anyway, now I have to talk with DH about it. It's not like I HAVE to have the bridge, but my inclination is to do it. At my checkup last month the dentist remarked about the strength of my teeth and how well they are doing - so I feel like this bridge would support that and strengthen them more. I mean...it's a chunk of change, but it's my teeth! I feel like it will be worth it in the long run. What do y'all think?

I took a package of ham from the freezer and will fix it for supper, along with corn on the cob, and greens. I also have a zip sandwich bag with the tater tots I didn't eat at Perkins on Monday. So that will be plenty. I also took a roast down and will fix it tomorrow for us to have for a few days. I saw an instant pot recipe and I think I might try it rather than my regular way in the oven. Hmm, such important decisions to be made these days.

Speaking of meal prep, my existing meat choices are getting fewer. No pork and no beef, except ground. My DH and I are carnivores so I need to buy some meat, ugh. I think a trip to Aldi's is in order. Whatever they have will probably be cheaper than Walmart and Kroger. I haven't done an Aldi trip in awhile, mostly because I've just been doing pickups. But for this, I will don the mask and go.

Today is my last day with the trial stim implant. While it will be REALLY nice to have a shower (sponge baths day after day just don't cut it), I dread getting it removed. I asked the Nevro rep how long it typically took for insurance companies to approve permanent stim implants, she said that was out of her wheelhouse but she thought it was around a month. Aackk. I really hope my wait won't be that long.

Did y'all see that Mary Kay Latourneau died? She was 58. I wonder if it was Covid.
Patty