Healthy Eating in 2016

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
blondeinbuffalo

Healthy Eating in 2016

Post by blondeinbuffalo »

Who wants to join me. Over time I continue to tweak both my diet and dh. My goal is for us to eat healthy 95% of the time and 5% for splurges. I need to learn to use spices and herbs to get the more out of healthy meals, they need to be tastey too or what is the point. cj
micogo

Re: Healthy Eating in 2016

Post by micogo »

I love to order my spices from Penzeys. So many interesting varieties and blends. Great catalogs to peruse.
blondeinbuffalo

I am going to check them out! We have many great indian and chinese markets around here and also a great halal market. but I am always open to trying something new. cj
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

I really need to cut out the sweets and limit carbs. I have not done so well this year, still Christmas goodies in the house. They will be gone soon. I brought turnips and carrots and yogurt for snacking today. I have access to LOADS of turnips. ;)
Shelsmiles

Post by Shelsmiles »

Sounds like a good one for me. I'm currently very focused on my diet. Food quality is huge to me. I like to use a lot of spices but also grow a lot of herbs to use in cooking as well. I'm not so strict as CJ but probably should be. I aim for more like a solid B with 10-20% splurges as long as the splurges. I include things like beverages besides water, any processed foods and sweets on my list of
Splurges.
blondeinbuffalo

We are both trying to avoid added sugar. dh is diabetic and going to be 70 this year and want him to be around for a long time! I am sure he is still sneaking donuts. but I don't have them at home or if I do I buy something he does not like! he hates peanut donuts and they are my favorite. I am cooking more from scratch and that will help keep on top of added sugar and salt. the trick it so make to taste and look good too. right now I am boiling some red lentils for a side dish this weekend. going to make curried lentils. I have a problem eating too much! I can gain 5 pounds quickly or more if I don't watch it. at one point in time I was almost 85 pounds over weight so it has been quite a journey of finding a balance so I can keep the weight off. happy new year! cj