My fridge door organizers...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

My fridge door organizers...

Post by ohjodi »

I was wiping out my fridge, and thought of telling you about this....

The shelves inside fridge doors are WIDE enough to hold a gallon of milk, but too wide for everything else. So everything tips over, or small items can slide out under the guard rails.

I got these long, slim drawer organizer bins at Dollar Tree a long time ago. I have one on each door shelf. There are two sizes, 13.5", and 9.75". They are 3.75" wide.

The insides of them have a rubbery bottom, so things won't slide around in them.

https://www.dollartree.com/essentials-large-rectangular-drawer-organizer-13frac12/219336

Bottles of ketchup, dressing, etc, stand behind the organizer, and then other small things can sit in the bin and they won't slide out under the rail. On my top shelf I have the shorter bin, and that leaves plenty of room for my gallon water pitcher. The bottom shelf has the longer one.

ALSO! I have a long one on the top shelf inside the fridge, along the back wall. And then another long one also on the top shelf, but along one side. This is great for keeping things that you rarely use. I have soy sauce, two bags of wild rice blend (which should be refrigerated), soup broth base, yeast packets, etc.

It also helps keep other things from getting pushed all the way to the back, where you lose sight of them and then they go bad.

And also a bottle of Clinique facial toner, LOL I pour some into a travel size bottle, and refrigerate the rest. This is probably not necessary, but I don't like to keep opening a large bottle every day, and rewetting the cotton pad as I use it on my face. Refilling the travel bottle every so often keeps the big bottle cleaner and fresher. (Also, I use the blue Acne Solutions one, even though I have dry skin....it's smoothing, soothing, and keeps me from getting pimply things from my CPAP mask! When we started going into lockdown in March, I ordered two bottles in case they ran out of stock! LOL)

Ok, that's my exciting tip for you! Best couple of bucks you will ever spend!
ohjodi
clemencia2us

Re: My fridge door organizers...

Post by clemencia2us »

You are right - some of those shelves are pretty wide.

Mine are different widths. But then I just cram them full of stuff so that they don't fall over!

I have never put milk on there. I just feel even a half gallon would be too heavy.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

ohjodi wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:58 pm
The shelves inside fridge doors are WIDE enough to hold a gallon of milk, but too wide for everything else. So everything tips over, or small items can slide out under the guard rails.
Thanks for the tip. I have become a user of organizers (racks and turntable trays) to maximum space especially in my kitchen cabinets. I have a smaller apartment-sized refrigerator (15 cubic ft), however, and my door shelves are not as wide. The bottom inside door shelf (both height and width) could hold a half gallon of milk or a liter or 2 of soda, but I would never store my milk or soda on the door shelf as it's too awkward taking it in and out and the plastic doesn't seem strong enough. I only keep condiments on the door and they are small enough so that I can arrange them so nothing falls out.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I bought a bunch of holders like the ones you posted, but these have a faux wire look.

They were on sale for maybe 25 cents each and I grabbed all they had.

Took some to our library so they could use them also.

Very handy

I love the dollar stores for these little bargains you find.
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I bought a refrigerator with a bottom freezer a couple of years ago. It has proved to be disappointing because I may have added a small amount of freezer space but ended up losing an entire shelf in the main part which has made things very difficult. Not enough room so I have to just cram everything in and hope nothing gets lost.

Bev
BevMoore

Post by BevMoore »

I bought a refrigerator with a bottom freezer a couple of years ago. It has proved to be disappointing because I may have added a small amount of freezer space but ended up losing an entire shelf in the main part which has made things very difficult. Not enough room so I have to just cram everything in and hope nothing gets lost.

Bev