canning

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
kat

canning

Post by kat »

hi, doing prepping for next time...lol...want to know: if you have a jar of premade spaghetti sauce, like prego, can you divide it into small canning jars (for like 2 serv), and do you have re-process those jars? if so, in waterbath or pressure? I want to store the sauce for storage, maybe awhile...we dont eat spaghetti but maybe 1-2 times a montyh, and only 2 of us, so not much at one sitting. since we like prego, makes more sense for me to buy and split, than spend time making my own anymore....thanks~!
clemencia2us

Re: canning

Post by clemencia2us »

Can you just freeze it?

Or see how long it will last in the jar

What I do is after I use a tomato product, I store the jar in the fridge upside down. That helps it last longer and not get moldy.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Ditto, what Clem said - I would freeze it. If you canned it, yes, it would have to be "processed" again or it would not be safe - and I don't know that it's worth the time and expense - I think freezing is your "free" option.

I don't know squat about canning - my mom always did it when I was a kid and my ex did a lot of it when he lived here (things like grape juice, apple pie filling, etc. it was more of a hobby for him)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I would freeze it as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

kat wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:41 pm hi, doing prepping for next time...lol...want to know: if you have a jar of premade spaghetti sauce, like prego, can you divide it into small canning jars (for like 2 serv), and do you have re-process those jars? if so, in waterbath or pressure? I want to store the sauce for storage, maybe awhile...we dont eat spaghetti but maybe 1-2 times a montyh, and only 2 of us, so not much at one sitting. since we like prego, makes more sense for me to buy and split, than spend time making my own anymore....thanks~!
Here are 50 things you can make with spaghetti sauce:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-make-with-pasta-sauce

I often just make soup by adding water. Or I cook a bag of frozen Italian vegetables, or broccoli/carrot/cauliflower and add the sauce and water or broth. I also like to add Parmesan cheese to the soup.

You can also make chili with it, just add chili powder with the meat and beans.

I usually just get sauce with just basil, because the other ones with more seasonings can taste too strong for tomato soup. I add my own herbs and spices for when I'm making pasta with just part of the jar, leaving the plain basil sauce in the jar for soup, or whatever, later.

Spaghetti sauce is one of the greatest "convenience foods" because it's usually a lot cheaper than if you bought the tomatoes and cooked it yourself. And it's healthy if you buy one without much added sugar. Some are just loaded with sugar.
ohjodi
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Thanks for that link, ohjodi. I have half a jar of spaghetti sauce in my fridge now that needs using. We only rarely eat spaghetti - maybe once a month.

I need to buy some small jars that I can use in the freezer. Or, maybe I can save some jars as we empty them (pickles, relish, etc.) and use those.
Patty