Five Frugal Things January 2016

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
dlrcpa

Re: Five Frugal Things January 2016

Post by dlrcpa »

1. large quilt washed at the laundromat for $5, dried at home
2. used $2 Safeway coupon on olive oil
3. completed surveys for points/gift cards
4. baked 2 loaves pumpkin-choc chip bread
5. made potato soup including using up another giant turnip. 1 remaining to use up!
6. no stops for snacks on trips to see DF, brought my own meals from home. 1 free coffee at the nursing home.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

LWolfT wrote:Figured if I'm going to get sick, might as well get something out of it
That's a very smart use of the grocery store benefits. Kudos for figuring it out while sick!

1. Today my entire outfit, except socks, shoes and panties, was thrifted/secondhand. Am also using one of the hankies inherited from my grandmother. I am very forgetful about taking Kleenex out of my pockets before doing the laundry. With hankies, there's no problem with a pulverized Kleenex spoiling a load of wash.

2. Lunch included some homemade bread and apples bought on clearance.

3. I am researching how to make rye bread from scratch. It's DH's favorite bread and I'd been buying a mix to make it.

4. Also researching how to make some dog biscuits for our littlest dachshund that won't aggravate her many allergies.

5. DS and I are enjoying a box of candy canes from Aldi that were marked down to 49 cents.
Mackie
rinty

Post by rinty »

1...........All that saved paperwork came in handy. It proved we did not owe £7000 or $15000 that had been claimed. The blessed relief !!!!

2.........Lots of No Spend days. Yes, its felt harder to do than previously but its been worth it. Rather like dieting. The food spend is ridiculously low this month. Our first shop we bought with Saved Change leftovers form Christmas so was effectively FREE. The next 2 shops we have done with a list and paid with cash . If this carries on we will have spent less than a quarter of our usual grocery spend.

3......I have no allowed myself any Pocket Money. So I have managed with what was in my purse from December plus this last week I gleaned through the house and car for change form last year. I found £35.31. Wooo HOOOOO.

4............Used vouchers for everything. Shopping, taking the grandkids out , everything. There are masses of vouchers handed out in December for use in January when as they correctly assume.......We Have No Money ; )

5...........Heating. We have both been good and are wearing layers rather than turning the heating on every day. Bills much lower than this time last year.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

rinty wrote:So I have managed with what was in my purse from December ...
Rinty, I thought of you last week when I realized I'd had the same $8 in my wallet for the entire month of December and into January. We do give ourselves a small weekly allowance, but all mine has gone directly into the Christmas 2016 envelope.

My Five Frugal Things:
1. Trimmed my bangs (fringe) today and evened out a weird chunk on one side that's an artifact of my last haircut. I am growing out my hair into a shoulder-length bob with bangs because I can keep that trimmed up myself.

2. Made two loaves of oatmeal-honey bread last night. It's very easy and frugal to make, especially since one of my friends gave me three jars of honey for Christmas. I like it because it needs only two rises instead of the three required for more finicky breads and still comes out delicious.

3. Did an inventory this morning of pet food/supplies and determine we should not need to buy any food or cat litter in February.

4. Slightly altered a dress bought from the thrift shop last month to make it fit better and mended a pair of wool knee socks -- very nice this time of year -- that persist in getting tiny holes in the leg below the ribbing. They're an expensive brand and this peeves me.

5. Have been doing a lot of money-saving home baking: bread, muffins, desserts, biscuits for the dogs. Have had a lot of no-spend days that have kept me out of stores and away from temptation.
Mackie
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

1. have souped, stewed and casseroled all leftovers so NO waste.
2. all laundry cold water washed, racked to dry
3.trimmed my own bangs
4. had to get anew battery for the SUV but used a courtesy card and got money back, plus free change out and install.
5. made cleaning clothes from some of the fiancés jersey long sleeve shirts he welds so gets holes in the fronts but the backs are great.
bonus round.......baking bread, muffins and such. Oven adds heat to the house

JCkitty
dlrcpa

Post by dlrcpa »

1. free 6"sub w/ coupon at a new place that opened nearby, did not get extras
2. used $10 gift card at CVS from surveys for things we were out of/low on
3. made a loaf of pumpkin yeast bread
4. finished library book
5. surveys for points