My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

Me too, Trees - she COOKS, lol. She is actually away for the weekend with a friend until Tuesday, took her dog so I'm just "cat sitting".
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Well I am pretty certain that we will be in for a second big surge of Covid-19. Have you seem the photos of protests going on at polling places, etc? Barely any mask-wearing in sight. Couple that with the onset of cold weather and more time indoors and we may be in trouble.

I need to get back to my pantry inventory, mainly the freezers. I am hoping I will need very little for the rest of the year. Given the $5K in home and vehicle repair expenses I am facing for the rest of the year. I really do not want to spend much. I will need things such as stuffing mix and a few other holiday fixings but I hope to keep it all under $100 a month (which includes produce and Schwan's deliveries).

Even if we don't encounter any shortages I just want to continue hunkering down the rest of the year until things settle down. I will at some point need pet food and supplies but hopefully not a whole lot. I may have those items delivered.

Bev
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Bev, I ordered pet food online during the first shutdown. I was well stocked up but worried about running out eventually.

I have very recently fallen into a "not so healthy" food habit. I LOVE breakfast and (with the exception of eggs, I think they're gross - I make a tofu scramble instead) I love breakfast foods - hash browns, waffles and pancakes (vegan recipe), cereal (hot or cold), and (yikes), pastry - yes, pastry.

So lately I have taken to eating a big breakfast - which in and of itself doesn't sound like a bad thing - but when we're talking about a couple waffles and fried potatoes with very little fruit - and let's say I've done that 3 days in a row now --- UGH.

I need to switch back to oatmeal, fruit and yogurt and save the "homestyle" cooking for the weekends only - even if I am on a staycation. The heavy breakfast every day is making me feel yucky, even though at the time I'm cooking and eating it, it's definitely a "comfort thing".
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:08 am Bev, I ordered pet food online during the first shutdown. I was well stocked up but worried about running out eventually.

I have very recently fallen into a "not so healthy" food habit. I LOVE breakfast and (with the exception of eggs, I think they're gross - I make a tofu scramble instead) I love breakfast foods - hash browns, waffles and pancakes (vegan recipe), cereal (hot or cold), and (yikes), pastry - yes, pastry.

So lately I have taken to eating a big breakfast - which in and of itself doesn't sound like a bad thing - but when we're talking about a couple waffles and fried potatoes with very little fruit - and let's say I've done that 3 days in a row now --- UGH.

I need to switch back to oatmeal, fruit and yogurt and save the "homestyle" cooking for the weekends only - even if I am on a staycation. The heavy breakfast every day is making me feel yucky, even though at the time I'm cooking and eating it, it's definitely a "comfort thing".
I think a great many of us have fallen into the "comfort food" phase of the pandemic. I know I am really not keeping track of what I am eating and I am noticing that things are not as loose as they once were.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:40 am I think a great many of us have fallen into the "comfort food" phase of the pandemic. I know I am really not keeping track of what I am eating and I am noticing that things are not as loose as they once were.
I think I have started to use food to take the place of the things I miss - going to book club meetings and art classes and craft circles, etc. UGH. I did go meet up with a friend yesterday. We got takeout coffees and went on a hike along the railroad tracks. I also saw my doctor yesterday morning for my annual checkup - when it's good to see your doctor and you spend time chatting about "this and that", you know you've been missing something!

At least my daughter is here now - but we are on different schedules (that's not really bad) and don't really share the same interests. She enjoys showing me "funny things" on her phone - a PET PEEVE of mine is when people what to show me stuff on their phone - it drives me up a wall. I need to address that topic - ugh.

Charles M. Schultz
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I have been visiting the Super Cook Recipe and entering items I need to use up to see what I can make. The other day I entered coconut milk and wound up finding a recipe for coconut rice. It was almost like a rice pudding and was so good! Not healthy by any means since coconut milk has fat. I have one can left and will make the rice again and that's it. As good as the coconut milk tastes I know it is not healthy.

Next items I enter will be cabbage and also pears (not at the same time LOL) Due to this I am slowly cleaning out my kitchen refrigerator and will be scrubbing it down sometime today.

With my $4k vehicle repair bill and my upcoming plumbing bill (to save my tree) I am trying to not buy any food other than from Schwans (frozen veggies) and my produce deliveries. That should tide is over for the rest of the year. Iii have some orange tag meat items in the freezer for DS; I eat very little meat. It's been great because I notice a big reduction in my food costs. I asked DD what I should fix for Thanksgiving and she said she didn't care. DS likes the holiday atmosphere. So my plan is for a Thanksgiving with very little spending. No turkey for us but maybe a roast chicken with my Jimmy Dean sausage stuffing. I have ingredients to make bread so I will be able to make lots of dried bread bits with spices to go with it.

Happydaze I have gotten in the habit of eating a big breakfast, a little less for lunch and very little for dinner. My innards appreciate this meal pyramid and it helps me sleep better at night.

Bev