What Are Your Favourite Christmas Recipes?

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
Jackielou

Re: What Are Your Favourite Christmas Recipes?

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:07 am "Christmas Crack" where you make a caramel sauce (not true caramel - just a sauce - much easier) and pour over a pan of saltine crackers and bake, then add melted chocolate and whatever toppings (such as red & green M&Ms) you want. It's the only Christmas treat I'll be making this year. You can google it if you're interested in a true recipe.
Love this and I make it most years. My recipe calls it Surprise Toffee and calls for a sprinkle of chopped nuts on top. Think I will try it with those Christmas M&M's this year. Sounds wonderful.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:26 pm Love this and I make it most years. My recipe calls it Surprise Toffee and calls for a sprinkle of chopped nuts on top. Think I will try it with those Christmas M&M's this year. Sounds wonderful.
Oh it sounds good with nuts - I will have to try that! My recipe doesn't make any mention of any toppings - then I started seeing pictures online of it with all sorts of toppings and thought - why not make it extra special and festive!??!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I've had the toffee saltines with chopped pecans in the toffee. Yuuummmm.

Hands down, the favorite Christmas recipe at our house is Kraft Fantasy Fudge, the recipe using marshmallow creme. I make a chocolate batch and one with white chocolate especially for my brother. (I don't like the white chocolate one as it's just too disgustingly sweet, but he loves it.)

The true adults in the family love homemade fruitcake, but DS does not. My recipe comes from the 1959 Farm Journal cookbook and is a cross between the light and dark fruitcake recipes in the book. It does not use citron, which I don't like. I replace that with chopped dates and use light brown sugar instead of white. Moistening it with booze is optional, but it's better with it. However, we have a family member who is a recovering alcoholic and fruitcake lover, so I don't use the liquor when he's going to get some cake.
Mackie
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

I make a super easy fruit salad. I just dice up whatever fresh fruit I have -- apples, pears, strawberries, blueberries -- whatever looks good, then I supplement with canned/drained fruit -- pineapples, mandarin oranges, etc. I mix it with a bowl of Cool Whip and call it done. When I serve it, I usually add some diced banana. Everybody loves it and it keeps well in the fridge.
Patty
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

This is one of our favorite cookies and I usually make some for Christmas.

Chewy Coconut Cookies

½ cup butter, softened
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ cup flaked coconut
1 cup AP flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, use a mixer to combine the butter, sugars, egg and vanilla. Once combined well, slowly add sifted flour mixture and combine. Add flaked coconut and mix until just combined.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for about 8-10 minutes until browned.
Patty
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Yummy. Looks very good. Thanks.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/