My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: My Eat Healthy for as Little as Possible for the Rest of the Year Challenge

Post by HappyDaze »

Beverley wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:26 pm I have been visiting the Super Cook Recipe and entering items I need to use up to see what I can make. The other day I entered coconut milk and wound up finding a recipe for coconut rice. It was almost like a rice pudding and was so good! Not healthy by any means since coconut milk has fat. I have one can left and will make the rice again and that's it. As good as the coconut milk tastes I know it is not healthy.

Next items I enter will be cabbage and also pears (not at the same time LOL) Due to this I am slowly cleaning out my kitchen refrigerator and will be scrubbing it down sometime today.

With my $4k vehicle repair bill and my upcoming plumbing bill (to save my tree) I am trying to not buy any food other than from Schwans (frozen veggies) and my produce deliveries. That should tide is over for the rest of the year. Iii have some orange tag meat items in the freezer for DS; I eat very little meat. It's been great because I notice a big reduction in my food costs. I asked DD what I should fix for Thanksgiving and she said she didn't care. DS likes the holiday atmosphere. So my plan is for a Thanksgiving with very little spending. No turkey for us but maybe a roast chicken with my Jimmy Dean sausage stuffing. I have ingredients to make bread so I will be able to make lots of dried bread bits with spices to go with it.

Happydaze I have gotten in the habit of eating a big breakfast, a little less for lunch and very little for dinner. My innards appreciate this meal pyramid and it helps me sleep better at night.

Bev
Yikes! A $4K repair bill! My daughter and I are staying put for Thanksgiving - my parents will likely NOT LISTEN and have a big un-masked gathering of grandchildren and great grandchildren, etc. - and we will be the evil ones for not attending. Oh well. We have decided to splurge on a feast of Chinese takeout - I'm looking forward to some spicy bean curd, spring rolls, etc. :-)
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well our Thanksgiving plans changed and we ended up making a couple of our favorite things here at home and getting some help from the grocery store on a couple others. My daughter wanted a rye boat dip so we got that and I made homemade mac & cheese and we had a couple other goodies. It was nice.

We have leftovers -- some I'm using for my work lunch the next couple days, some are in the freezer. I have decided it will be a NO GROCERIES week - my second one for November - so that is a savings. I have apples and clementines that I bought with the Thanksgiving goodies and also cabbage and potatoes and a packed freezer and pantry (not an official pantry - its 2 big food cupboards).

My daughter and I do share food freely but neither of us is responsible for providing food for the other - so that arrangement is helpful to us both. She knows that nothing is off limits to her unless it's in one of my "work lunch containers" and anything she doesn't want to share she keeps in her own little frige in her rooms.

We eat together at least a couple times a week - she will make something she knows I really like and visa versa - it works well and is a savings. She is not big on leftovers - neither one of my kids are - but I don't let them go to waste.

Does anyone ever do a NO GROCERIES WEEK to save a few bucks? How do you plan it?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:58 am Well our Thanksgiving plans changed and we ended up making a couple of our favorite things here at home and getting some help from the grocery store on a couple others. My daughter wanted a rye boat dip so we got that and I made homemade mac & cheese and we had a couple other goodies. It was nice.

We have leftovers -- some I'm using for my work lunch the next couple days, some are in the freezer. I have decided it will be a NO GROCERIES week - my second one for November - so that is a savings. I have apples and clementines that I bought with the Thanksgiving goodies and also cabbage and potatoes and a packed freezer and pantry (not an official pantry - its 2 big food cupboards).

My daughter and I do share food freely but neither of us is responsible for providing food for the other - so that arrangement is helpful to us both. She knows that nothing is off limits to her unless it's in one of my "work lunch containers" and anything she doesn't want to share she keeps in her own little frige in her rooms.

We eat together at least a couple times a week - she will make something she knows I really like and visa versa - it works well and is a savings. She is not big on leftovers - neither one of my kids are - but I don't let them go to waste.

Does anyone ever do a NO GROCERIES WEEK to save a few bucks? How do you plan it?
I am doing a no groceries month for the month of December due to my property taxes are due again and they are pretty hefty. I did a minor stock up the other day from Walmart curbside to fill in some holes. I have been stocking up since the pandemic started but have always had a little stockpile due to living in a rural area. You know keep at least 2 to 4 of certain items in reserve. I bought some eggs, cheese, butter, fresh produce and TP. It is harder to do if you require a lot of fresh produce or dairy in your life. I do have canned and frozen veggies and meats. I rarely grocery shop once a week it is usually every two weeks and once in a while every 3 weeks. I buy things like cabbage, carrots, and other produce that last for long times in the fridge. I bought a bunch of cilantro the other day. It will keep for about a month in the fridge if you keep it in a container of water and change the water every few days. Also use the produce bag to make a tent over it. Good luck.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:58 am Well our Thanksgiving plans changed and we ended up making a couple of our favorite things here at home and getting some help from the grocery store on a couple others. My daughter wanted a rye boat dip so we got that and I made homemade mac & cheese and we had a couple other goodies. It was nice.

If I could be sure to have enough milk (need to drink at least one glass or so a day due to my bone loss, and Hubby enjoys milk as well for supper at least) I would give that a try. When we lived out of the city I managed to have at least 2 weeks a month that no shopping was done. I need to remember how I managed that.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:44 am If I could be sure to have enough milk (need to drink at least one glass or so a day due to my bone loss, and Hubby enjoys milk as well for supper at least) I would give that a try. When we lived out of the city I managed to have at least 2 weeks a month that no shopping was done. I need to remember how I managed that.
Jackie, do you ever consider milk in the shelf stable boxes? My daughter and I have a stash of soy and almond milks in the boxes and you can get dairy milk that way too. We don't prefer the boxed milks but for things like a quarantine or "no groceries week" they are handy to have.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:44 pm Jackie, do you ever consider milk in the shelf stable boxes? My daughter and I have a stash of soy and almond milks in the boxes and you can get dairy milk that way too. We don't prefer the boxed milks but for things like a quarantine or "no groceries week" they are handy to have.
My favourite grocery store just got shelf stable regular milk in. I am thinking of buying a few, but wow 1 liter costs almost 5 dollars. I think I may just keep a few to use for baking or making pudding.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/