Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Let's Repair it Ourselves!

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:35 pm Today I darned a sock that had a hole in it. I don't have a darning egg - I use a burned out light bulb that I keep in my mending basket just for that purpose. It isn't a professional job but I'm hoping to get some more use from that pair of socks.
I have a darning egg and prefer the burned out lightbulb. Good job. I darned the same pairs of socks for years and years and finally bought some last year with my stimulus money. They were ok for home use but always kept a nice spare pair to wear to the Drs office..lol.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:01 pm I have a darning egg and prefer the burned out lightbulb. Good job. I darned the same pairs of socks for years and years and finally bought some last year with my stimulus money. They were ok for home use but always kept a nice spare pair to wear to the Drs office..lol.
I am fortunate to have a lot of very nice socks. Some of them came from a friend of mine who got married about 3 years ago. Her new husband's first wife passed away some years back and left behind so much clothing - it was all stored in bins in the upstairs of their garage. With her husband's blessing, my friend lovingly and respectfully started going through the clothing and donating things (it would have been weird for her to keep any of it) and offered me a few items, including a bag of like brand new, very nice, very warm socks. A lot of them are the "fuzzy" kind with the traction on the bottoms - very nice inside my slippers on frigid mornings.

I also got some very warm wool socks from my daughter for Christmas - I had the heavy "work sock" type ones but these are thin ones that can go under a heavier pair for walking to work.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:35 pm Today I darned a sock that had a hole in it. I don't have a darning egg - I use a burned out light bulb that I keep in my mending basket just for that purpose. It isn't a professional job but I'm hoping to get some more use from that pair of socks.
I use a small ball at times.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:11 pm I am fortunate to have a lot of very nice socks. Some of them came from a friend of mine who got married about 3 years ago. Her new husband's first wife passed away some years back and left behind so much clothing - it was all stored in bins in the upstairs of their garage. With her husband's blessing, my friend lovingly and respectfully started going through the clothing and donating things (it would have been weird for her to keep any of it) and offered me a few items, including a bag of like brand new, very nice, very warm socks. A lot of them are the "fuzzy" kind with the traction on the bottoms - very nice inside my slippers on frigid mornings.

I also got some very warm wool socks from my daughter for Christmas - I had the heavy "work sock" type ones but these are thin ones that can go under a heavier pair for walking to work.
Nice of your friend to share the socks with you. I love a good pair of socks. I used some of my stimulus money to buy a package of fuzzy socks last year. I had been mending mine for years.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:06 am I use a small ball at times.
That's a good idea - I could borrow one from the dogs. Probably not as slippery as a bulb.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

So the "main toilet" started not flushing and I about panicked thinking "EXPENSIVE REPLACEMENT". Went on youtube. First question was "is it a low-flow toilet?" Why yessssss...

Come to find out, low flow toilets have a second hole that can easily get clogged with the minerals from the water, etc.

So - you empty out the water (dumping a big pail of water into the bowl does this trick), dump in a couple gallons of vinegar, let it sit overnight. This process may need to be repeated a couple times.

Alternatively, there is a strong chemical you can buy for this - I prefer the vinegar. I did this once and it made a huge difference. I'm going to do it again just to be on the safe side and will probably do it every so often for maintenance.

"Five Dollar Fix"

Fortunately, we have a spare toilet. Apparently, many decades ago, someone remodeled this house and demolished a bathroom (the remains of the bathroom cabinets are inside of my bedroom closet - very handy!). However - they left - literally - a toilet - in perfect working order - and enclosed it. I literally have a teeny, tiny closet with a working toilet in it.

Charles M. Schultz