Daily Check in April 11, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in April 11, 2021

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal Friends,

Had a nice visit with DS1 & family. We had brownie sundaes for dessert. Yum! I took a photo album of DS's first 3 years. DDIl laughed and pointed out several pictures where DGS4 resembled his dad. DGS7 enjoyed it too, marveling at his great-grandmother with dark hair. And he mistook his great uncle for his uncle. The resemblance was there.

I started moving furniture around to make room for my new desk. I need to do some more.

I was going to do my state taxes, but the state site is down for maintenance. I am also watching some videos to learn to use a new tool at work. And, of course, put together the new desk.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in April 11, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

My arm is a bit stiff, but so far that is about all my side effects, early times yet though.

I did not sleep very well last night so I may actually try and have a nap this afternoon. I usually can't but perhaps today will be different. The lack of sleep could be because of the excitement of loosing a stitch late yesterday evening!! Now I only have 12 more in various cuts to lose. I hope this means a stitch will be no more every couple of days.

So I got my vaccine yesterday and once home thought I would post on Facebook, well opened up the app and what to my surprise is going down...the government is postponing shots once again. The other thing I noticed is that some of my friends are having to book in other towns. One is having to go so far as a city 4 hours away. Mind you I think she just might want to visit with one of her daughters and that is why she booked up there instead of closer.

Best news of the day so far though is that it is raining out!! It seems like a nice steady drizzle hitting the roof of the house. I just hope it stays as rain and does not become the snow that is forecast to happen.

Frugally speaking here on the old homestead the usual will be happening. I will continue to try and clear out the bits from the fridge. This means that my small piece of leftover baked salmon fillet will be made into a sandwich filling today, and that loaf of bread I have been talking about baking will in fact be baked. I have a few small items to put into the pantry, and some coats to give a bit of a wash and hang up. I did not get my spring and summer coats cleaned in the fall last year for some reason. Now is the time while it is still cool enough to wear heavier coats. Hubby has been asking for desserts for a very long time now and I have some sour cream that needs using so I will make a coffee cake. That should suit both of us.

I cut up a mango yesterday, they were on sale last week and since we have never had them before decided that would be the best time to purchase. Well it wasn't what I would call ripe, and the remaining "red mangos" are sitting on my table to try and ripen. How do you tell when a mango is ripe? Any hints on how to ripen them quickly?

I will probably continue with my knitting, and perhaps actually reach the end of this shawl. I guess it is taking so long because while the yarn is kind of hairy, it is not really bulky, in fact I would say take away the hairs and this yarn would be lace weight. Things do take longer to knit using lace weight yarn.

A list of weekly chores will be made today as well. I have discovered over the last week that I do not do very well without a plan of some sort. Guidance is what I will call it. Heck it's a list of what I will get done and what needs to be done and I admit I need that list!!!!

Supper tonight is going to be a pork roast. I will do roast carrots and roast potatoes. The leftover roast will be packaged up and used in another meal later this week.

Today I am grateful for the rain, the beautiful rain.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Frugal Friends. We have a lovely spring rain this morning and it's not too cold - so nice. Was going to finish yard work today but will do some make ahead meals instead if it's raining. I want to make some homemade veggie burgers to go on top of salads since I bought a lot of salad ingredients at the grocery yesterday. Also want to make some homemade protein bars.

Was up in the 3:00 hour last night, until 5-ish, managed to go back to sleep till the 7:00 hour. Im feeling hungry for a big breakfast, so will see to that in a few minutes. In the meantime, coffee is tasting good.

I need to walk to the post office to drop a birthday card for DDIL in the box - her birthday is tomorrow so it won't get there in time - but my kiddos are used to me being a bit late with such things - a terrible habit that I have.

Off to start the day. Happy Sunday Everyone.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

I slept pretty well...and am very thankful!
I have been up, drinking a bucket of coffee and watching my Sunday morning shows, a very interesting piece on Hemmingway to correlate with the Ken Burns documentary .

We were supposed to go talk to a guy about replacement bees for DD and SiL... thats what I am getting them for birthday gifts. They have had bees before but a year ago they froze out...despite our best efforts to keep them safe, and then last year....Covid.
We aren't able to go because of the weather, the "bee man" will not sell them if it is too windy or raining as it causes the bees to be agitated. We will go sometime this week after work. I love bees and if I were younger would get some for myself....trying to recognize my limits here LOL

I guess I will do "house stuff" today and probably just rest and relax. I do need to apply polish to the woodstove. A messy job but looks so good when it is done.

I really need to make a list for this next week or I may end up floundering instead of getting stuff done.

JCKitty
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. We had a wild ride yesterday with sustained winds of 24 mph with gusts up to 45 mph with torrential rain. Needless to say Teddi was freaking out. The rain finally left but the wind was intense up until midnight. Teddi finally calmed down and went to sleep but I was so stressed out I could not get to sleep. Finally took a muscle relaxer and went to sleep sometime around 2:30 AM. I did sleep until 8:20 AM Today the wind is still strong 16 to 23 mph with gusts up to 32 mph. I think the sound of the heavy rain hitting the windows is what stressed Teddi so much. So far he seems to be ok today.

Not much planned for today except trying to cook ahead.

Have a good and frugal day everyone
Janet Alliesmama
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I am feeling very wiped out today. I am sure the fact that the Oak pollen count is 40,500 has a lot to do with it.

According to the allergist I am not allergic to any thing. True I don’t react to low pollen counts but I sure do when it is extremely high such as today.

Very little is getting done today.

Penny