Daily Check in May 4, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Mrscreative

Re: Daily Check in May 4, 2021

Post by Mrscreative »

frugalmom wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:21 am Good morning everyone!

The rest of my week is busy but today it is chill-I hope-you never know with my crazy world!
Yesterday, I cut up the leftover steaks from Sunday (my dd brought it over-we already had Yucatan chicken) and plan to have las mulas, made fried rice yesterday, burritos and Nam Tok Thai salad and if any left still maybe burritos or nachos. The chicken we have finished and I made chicken sandwiches yesterday and my son had soft tacos. So we are good for the next few days in meals I think-I hope for at least 4-5 of the meals this week. My son still went out for a McDonald's chicken sandwich with his friend yesterday and got a stomachache afterwards and swore off eating out for awhile-duh-I told him eating at home is much cleaner and safer and you know what goes in the food-plus you figure I cook all different types of things that why do you want fast food (the Burger King around here looks actually gross and not clean even-I tell him all the time not to go there and he gets a stomach ache from there as well!). Go figure!

My teen son is pretty responsible for the most part at least when it comes to self discipline and his business(school though he does his own thing lately-like it is secondary which is not a good thing I told him and I have to keep an eye on him-although he made it to CSF and the National Honor Society). He has found out from doing business that so many of the screenprinters are owned by young guys and are not responsible and does not have follow through and won't even respond back and when they do they make gross errors in calculations,etc. Like 13k for 106 hoodies-really!? Check your calculations! Or they don't contact you at all or every few days respond and ask a question every few days and still has not given any estimates or return calls or emails or messaging. I told my son see, how important is a quick response and follow through and most of all RESPONSIBILITY bc your brand and business counts on that and if they are like this in the beginning imagine when you are waiting for the product and your customers get mad because it is delayed with excuses. So we are at their mercy for the most part so you have to find a responsible one-problem is that there are so many irresponsible young businesses out there! Idk-but for me it is a headache-my son deals with them and tells me about it (hence, I worry and get a headache-not good for a type A person like me who is a perfectionist and wants things done right and big on follow through!). I told him maybe you buy your own printer and make your own and open up to make others as well?! At least you are responsible and they can rely on you. Although honestly, I don't know how this type of business really fares or if it is even good? I am trying to get him to think the bigger picture-like CEO yes, but in a bigger realm-corporation,etc after you get your college degree thinking!

Oh another frugal thing is lots of lemons now so making fresh lemonade-yum! Added watermelon juice fresh from the watermelon after cutting it to my lemonade. Has anyone noticed the Costco watermelons taste kind of funny these days-like not ripened odd taste or is it just me? The last two watermelons taste off-barely sweet too. I pick one with the sugar oozing out usually and the yellow patch on the side (the thumping thing I always get mixed up like is it supposed to be hollow sounding or full sounding!?).
The watermelon needs to be hollow sounding. Dh tells me I have a real knack for selecting sweet, juicy watermelons. And I don’t even really like them!
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Update- Dh and I got a lot of work done in the front and back yard. The perennials are coming up very slowly this year but it has been unseasonably cold. I just looked at our gas bill and we actually paid more and used more gas this month than last month. The temperature has been about 15 degrees C. lower than average. At this rate, I am afraid we won’t be very successful with our vegetables.

The debris by the fish ladder had been cleared away so Dh was happy about that. He had made a call to the university yesterday. He called back today to thank them. Unfortunately we didn’t see any fish jumping today despite watching for about 15 minutes. I wore my winter coat and toque as it was just above freezing.

I sampled my bread and it was good despite being a little heavier than usual. Dinner will be a bit earlier today as Dd2 has a Zoom class tonight.

Creative
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:

I took a nap...and actually slept, so tired after last night.
Made some coffee and dressed it into a caramel latte...I needed caffeine.

All this talk of watermelon, OMG it sounds wonderful, I love melon and am a "good melon picker" We use the color patch method along with the hollow thump sound.
I have house chores done and just feel so tired. Dog has had a calm relaxing day, sleeping and eating like nothing bothers him :roll:

JCKitty
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Mrscreative wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:17 pm The watermelon needs to be hollow sounding. Dh tells me I have a real knack for selecting sweet, juicy watermelons. And I don’t even really like them!
Lol-I need you to pick out the good, juicy watermelons for me! Like I am hankering for a juicy sweet one for soooo long! I have been getting ones that are just meh! And I have a hard time distinguishing a hollow sound from a full sound!?
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Talking about all this fruit and watermelon-I like it when they put the chili lime Tajin spice on various fruits like pineapple, melons and so forth. I don't know what else they put on it-maybe lime? Does anyone know? But it is so refreshing. They do sell it in little carts and at the mall there is a kiosk-but bc of Covid I am afraid to order it so I make my own at home! YUM! It cuts the sweetness though and it is spicy which I like it spicy. I put it on my corn on the cob too.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Mrscreative wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:29 pm Update- Dh and I got a lot of work done in the front and back yard. The perennials are coming up very slowly this year but it has been unseasonably cold. I just looked at our gas bill and we actually paid more and used more gas this month than last month. The temperature has been about 15 degrees C. lower than average. At this rate, I am afraid we won’t be very successful with our vegetables.

The debris by the fish ladder had been cleared away so Dh was happy about that. He had made a call to the university yesterday. He called back today to thank them. Unfortunately we didn’t see any fish jumping today despite watching for about 15 minutes. I wore my winter coat and toque as it was just above freezing.

I sampled my bread and it was good despite being a little heavier than usual. Dinner will be a bit earlier today as Dd2 has a Zoom class tonight.

Creative
I feel that my electric bill will be like your gas bill but because of the heat, not the cold. My new a/c has been running and running and running at 77 F. so I turned it back up to 78 F. I have mom’s a/c set for 80 F. and I usually turn it down to 78 F. when I’m there but yesterday I was outside near the unit and I heard it come on set at 80 and it was after 6 p.m. I’ll send you some heat and you send me some cool air, OK!