Daily Check-In, June 20, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check-In, June 20, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

clemencia2us wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:32 am Good morning all

Woke up in a good mood and feeling good too. How strange - :shock:

I'm having my coffee. Part of the pack has been out. Some refuse to step outside until at least 9am or later.

I've been reading news online. Thinking of what to do today. Going to the cemetery for sure. Go see my dad, granpa, uncles etc.

It is the summer solstice. Today is the longest day of the year. Fall is just around the corner - :mrgreen:

Have a good one!!
Forgot all about today being the solstice. Thanks for the reminder.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

I'm having my coffee. Part of the pack has been out. Some refuse to step outside until at least 9am or later.

I've been reading news online. Thinking of what to do today. Going to the cemetery for sure. Go see my dad, granpa, uncles etc.

It is the summer solstice. Today is the longest day of the year. Fall is just around the corner - :mrgreen:

Have a good one!!
Did you read the NYT story about the Amazon warehouse in NYC and Covid? I didn’t read it all. Interesting that they promote so few hourly workers and want them to quit after a few years at most. No respect. I previously read about the grueling work at Amazon warehouses in the Nomadland book. Everything is faster, faster, faster.

There was also a story a week or so ago about the people who do the grocery picking for curbside and delivery. It talked mostly of Kroger and Instacart. Some employees enjoy it (one guy at Kroger) but there is the constant push to work faster, faster, faster. It didn’t mention Walmart.

What’s the big rush?

I couldn’t physically do those jobs. Bad feet. I guess they are designed to be done by robots soon.

I am going to try hard to order less from Amazon and seek out small businesses online and in person. I don’t buy a lot. Maybe I won’t renew Prime unless I really want the streaming. I bought my new garden hose from Home Depot. I think (hope) they are a better workplace.

I’m so lucky that for most of my career I worked for a company that respected employees. I didn’t earn a great deal but it was a good workplace.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning,

So I ran my Roomba. How cool. He was still running when I left for Mass. I can home and he was in the bathroom. Seems he ran out of charge. I did have to empty him once. My carpets will not know what happened if I press the button regularly.

We have had a priest from Cameroon helping out for several years now. He finished his doctorate and is heading back home at the end of the month. His sermons have opened my eyes to a part of the world I did not know much about. Even when politic were hot and heavy with derision, he reminded us how well-off we are in spite of everything. The violence committed by the government is horrifying.

I have plans to meet with my 2 girlfriends for lunch and some shopping. Then home and over to visit Mom and Dad. I need to remember to tell them all the news. the DGS's babysitter quit. So DGS7 is enrolled in daycamp at the local Y and DGS4 is on a waitlist. (The Y is hoping to hire another caregiver) and it will be all-in-all cheaper. I think this is great. DGS7 was so happy to back in school and and the 4YO should also spend time with other kids. But until then, he will go to work with his Mom and Dad to Nonna's.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

Not much is new here, I have a towel wash in the dryer. I am going to make pasta with sauce for dinner this noon. I have sauce in the freezer, I bought some of the precooked rotini to make it easier.

Breakfast was oatmeal with fresh blueberries.

I want to start on the phone bag, but I also need to clip the curves on the tiny dolls, my hands can’t do too many of those at once. So I will be going back and forth.

I made screen shots of all the measurement for the bag. Though where the “D” rings for the strap go, I am going to make a slit to slide a waist belt. I have lots of belting.

Penny
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Today is the last day of my staycation, which has been lovely. I have a good bit to do today with the usual Sunday chores to get ready for the next week, and DH needs me to clipper his hair.

I wish I had another week, but then I'd wish for another after that, being a die-hard homebody. :-D

Speaking of Amazon, save for e-books, I have pretty much given up buying from there. I am tired of the inaccurate descriptions that cause me to have to send stuff back and wading through the tidal wave of cheap Chinese knock-offs. "Nomadland" was eye-opening about the labor conditions as well.
Mackie
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Have a good one!!
Yippee!! Fall is around the corner.. lol. I hate summer! Even as little kid I could not stand summer heat.
Janet Alliesmama