DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Dgflorida

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 am

Saturday

The final front garden bed got worked on yesterday. Framed, free cardboard weed barrier, free leaves from the back yard and today, mulched. Then I will start planting. I also need to put mulch on the walkways between the 4x8 beds. I have to first finish taking the plastic garden soil bags apart as a weed barrier in the walkways and then mulch them. Frugal use of the bags. We have rain expected tomorrow evening, so I am racing against the clock as usual.

Washing dishes in the bathtub is not as water frugal as in the sink. But it is only temporary, so I will endure the waste. Right now all my water pots outside are full thanks to the last rain. Need to empty them into the garden quickly. We will see on that one. That is being pushed down thanks to all the other things that need doing. Hubs says I need to do laundry today as well. :roll: Sometimes, he annoys me suggesting things for me to do while he just sits there. He was going to help by sweeping the floors. That didn't last.

I feel that I must justify working in the yard sometimes. This is the perfect yard weather. Soon, it will be way too hot and humid. Even so, I will have to work in the yard some in the heat. I will need to cut the weeds down growing by the lake all summer long. That is generally about all I can get done during the summer thanks to the heat. Just maintenance.

I have coffee grounds to dump as well. I am not on top of everything like I like. Taking advantage of sales, in fact, any shopping just interferes with my day and is exhausting. We are always running out of some food item required by his diet. Today is stacked to the hilt with stuff. Tomorrow, I need to run to Winn Dixie for weekend sale food and walk over to the Dollar store from there to get my cheap sunglasses. I need something to soften the lights when I first turn them on in the morning. A side effect of my Mac. Degeneration I figure.

It is hard today to feel upbeat. I hate being scheduled in so tightly. But I must remember that I am like the water lapping at the mountain eventually eroding it into the sea. Slow and steady wins the race.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:07 pm

Saturday evening

I came online to send an email to the handyman to confirm his visit on Monday to replace the kitchen faucet. We met with the window people and decided to go with them. Hubs had researched them and liked them. Unfortunately, the windows are at least 3 months out, August likely. Yikes! But it is what it is. Hopefully, no 'canes before then. Everyone is slapping on vinyl windows, but they are not lasting. Going with aluminum should mean that we will never need the warranty. I don't trust warranties anyways. There is always a loophole in the fine print.

So I have a floor ordered, a driveway ordered and windows ordered. And I am still waiting.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:28 am

We waited a year and a half to get our furnace finished....three months is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:10 am

Yes Jackielou, your furnace experience was educational. Hubs is all nervous about not having them before hurricane season starts in June. Hurricane Irma roared through just one county over and left an impression on him. I certainly didn't not think the window people were still dealing with post Irma orders, but that is what the guy said.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 am

Monday

Rain is over, but it was nice. Now we have the, by Florida standards, cold northern winds. They come from the west and northwest and that is where my potting table is outside under the awning. I may not pot today. The cat stepped outside and then backed into the house and hunted for a warm lap. A Florida cat.

I did not buy eggs because they are very expensive right now. Usually, the price spikes last a couple of days and then the price comes down. Hubs will get yogurt for breakfast. He likes it and it is nice for a change. It has some carbohydrates, so he can't have it often.

Being stuck inside will be an opportunity to catch up on house chores. I will certainly like it if I get my new kitchen faucet installed as well.

I struggle with hubs decision to take the brunt of the inheritance on this years(2018) tax return. This lifts us from poverty to middle class income(for one year) according to the tax people. My eye shots are covered by a charity and this will end it because they base it on tax returns. The eye shots are not covered by insurance and it will cost us about $5000 a year. But I could tell his decision had an emotional attachment to it(his mother's death) and he wanted it finished right away. He thinks he is stoic, but actually, he is very emotional. (sigh)

Next week, my military son comes to stay a few days. The office becomes his bedroom usually. This year we have a little problem. About 2 months ago, we started hearing a regular beep come from under the computer table next to the wall. At first, hubs thought it was the battery, surge protector, but it turns out to be a battery in the internet unit installed by the provider. It is an old unit and the newer ones don't require the battery. The battery costs about $25, but doesn't do anything(except stop the stupid beep). We don't hear it in the bedrooms, so we didn't do anything about the beep. Now we will have to and hope we don't end up cutting off the internet/phone etc when we mess with it. Or son can sleep somewhere else in the house. Should be interesting.

Next thing I am preparing myself for is a call from my regular doctor after she gets the report that I have high lipids from the wellness group. Some doctors get a bit crazy about those things. They said it will be a month before they send it on. That will be fine with me. I don't visit her usually until after I visit my endocrinologist for thyroid. Since I think the high lipids generally mean my thyroid meds need adjusting, I will find out if my endo is worth his cost. If he ignores the lipids report, I will look for someone else.

Handyman called. He will be here soon. Hooray!

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:19 am

Tuesday

New faucet and washed dishes. Feels good. I kept the hurricane door that covers the sliding glass door closed yesterday. It is a great barrier to the northwest winds coming off the lake. The cold winds suck the heat out of the house. The hurricane door creates a space between it and the regular sliding glass. Just like insulated windows do. So no heat loss there. We stayed in the 70's in the house. No heat needed. Even the TV news people are getting tired of these rolling cold fronts.

Today, the winds should be over and I can venture outside without being buffeted by the chill. I don't have any ripe tomatoes. I am surprised. I certainly have enough plants. Well, I do have some peppers. I have decided that I will move my potted brush cherry plant(tree/bush). I will plant it. I hope it will do good in its new location. It should survive the winter here if we don't break new low temperature records. It is possible, but unlikely that it will bloom and produce fruit this year. I do have fruit on my surinam cherry bushes and little grapes on my native grape vine.We need some nice weather. I want to add more small fruit plants to my gardens. Small fruit are allowed on hub's diet. Growing your own is frugal.

Tomorrow is a potential shopping day. New ads come out today. Hubs would probably like some new vegetables, maybe asparagus. I will watch for deals. I may need to buy eggs despite their high price. :(

Hubs did the monthly expense report. Nothing different.