DG's frugal journal

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: DG's frugal journal

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 am
Tuesday-am

Today is day 14 of my virus watch from that incident in the doctor's office. A little extra self monitoring really isn't that hard, so I will probably continue it. Of course, I feel great. Hubs too. I am trying to improve my door knob wipe downs. A new habit is hard to add in on a daily basis. Also trying not to touch my face is hard. It feels like it starts itching just to tease me. I read advice yesterday that said the best way to protect yourself is to pretend that you are infected and want to keep everyone around you safe. Interesting idea. Something to think about.

I was sorry to hear that snowbird has decided to stop walking with my neighbor. But from a distance, snowbird explained yesterday that she has asthma and allergies and after a heart by pass, she needs to be extra careful. I think she has made the right decision since my walking neighbor is not really practicing social distancing and extra precautions. But she is catching on that people object to contact with their body language. Yes, it is a little risk walking with her, but we both need the exercise and it does improve the immune system response. I keep a little extra distance. I also walk with hubs now in order to get him out every day.

Social distancing is not working so well with paranoid neighbor. They are really great friends with their next door neighbor and their dogs. His next door neighbor has been on vacation to see the tourist sights in Tennessee. A lot of group contact, no doubt. Just got home and well, they immediately were chatting close contact and petting the dogs etc etc. Paranoid neighbor may not have anything to do with me right now, but right now I am glad. Clearly, neither family really understands this situation. Our county has really jumped in reported cases. A little scary.

Normal frugal things around the house. Weather still great, so frugal electricity use. Making crockpot beans and chicken breasts today out on the porch. Last time, I soaked 2 cups of beans. That is 4 cups into the crockpot. I was just a little nervous since it filled up the crockpot. So this time, just soaking 1 and 1/2 cups. Last time, there was just one pint leftover to freeze. Probably none left over this time.

My tan is getting more tan and no pink glow. About time. I was annoyed that it was taking this long. Where is my Native American blood when I need it.
Dg when I worked in a hospital we were told to use (Universal Precautions) assuming everyone we came in to contact with had HIV or Aids. That way we did not have to second guess what we did or how we worked with a patient. Better to be safe than sorry.
Janet Alliesmama

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:00 am

Both my mother and brother died from suicide brought on by depression. Other family members as well. I have the good fortune to not be inclined that way. Depression is not a personality weakness. And feeling depressed should not evoke shame. Sharing the burden of your dark thoughts can cause them to fly away. I am glad I was there for her this morning.
DG, I'm so sorry you lost your mother and brother that way. How horrible. Using your pain to help others is what pain is for, IMO. It has to be.
ohjodi

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday-am

After taking a rest day yesterday, I will ready to go today. The house is getting up to 80F during the heat of the day, so I am trying to drop the house temperature a bit by opening the windows at night and turning on the whole house fan(associated with the ac) in the pre-dawn hours when it is the coolest in the attic. We don't turn on the ac until the house hits 82F. Given it is supposed to hit 90F outside later this week, we may be forced to turn it on. I bought another window fan. It doesn't work. I am not sure I can take it back for a replacement due to the Covid-19 virus fear.

I can't do anything much with the leaves until they pick up the full trashcans of leaves tomorrow. So I will focus on garden building. I have concrete blocks for building. I have enough bagged soil for planting and transplanting, but not enough for filling in my new gardens. Well, I can ready the garden areas, work on leaves after tomorrow and put off contact with others as long as reasonably possible. Maybe social distancing will have sunk in by then.

I made chicken and beans in the crockpot yesterday, but after another meal of them tomorrow, there will be no cooked beans to freeze. Tonight will be fish with steamed broccoli. That will be 3 nights of fish recently. 2 nights of fresh salmon and tonight, a night of pollack(white fish). Then I will go back to ground beef meals. Probably stir fry first and then Mexican and ground beef burgers to finish the week. I may cook outside if the day seems extremely warm. Cooking adds a lot of heat to the house. Maybe it will keep from turning on the ac. Decide that based on the house temperature. Cooking one pan meals outside is pretty easy, so we will see. Turning off the coffee pot after it perks reduces heat generation too.

No rain in the forecast. I will need to use my bandana today against the dust. I need to blow some leaves out of here and there and into piles for clean up after tomorrow's pickup. I may get out my little lawn mower as well. See how far the energy goes.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I agree Janet and I generally follow those ideas and don't do the hug thing. It may be a good thing that I am not around old dance partner since my visit to Houston has been aborted. The only times I have gotten sick in the last few years have been catching his cold.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Thank you ohjodi. A lot of people are or will become depressed from this situation. Others will lash out at people. Some will find "religion". Stress is a difficult thing to deal with.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Wednesday-thought for the day

Most people are not being frugal. They have let this crisis get the best of their common sense. Toilet paper. The US is one of the few countries that use toilet paper. Europeans prefer bidet and for most of the world without our abundant resources, hands will do.

Suddenly, everyone seems to want to grow a vegetable garden to have food independence. Yet many of these people hardly eat vegetables at all. Here in Florida, the time of most familiar vegetables are at an end. The majority of the US are in zones where summer temperatures are 2-3-4 months away. They move to Florida and never realize this is "not Kansas anymore" They come on the gardening forums and want to grow lettuce. They don't want to hear, too late. They don't want to hear that it takes 3-4 months to grow watermelon or squash. They don't want to hear that they will have to contend with weeds or bugs. They believe in the Michael Bloomberg approach to gardening. Dig a hole, put in a seed, water it and a plant grows. Florida is mostly sand with some clay It is not the rich soils of Wisconsin. As a gardener, these people are very frustrating to me. I have to count to 10 almost every day and hope that some of them will actually discover the joy of gardening. This is my rant for the day. I feel better.