Daily Check In May 12th

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rinty

Daily Check In May 12th

Post by rinty »

Morning

Sat here like a bump on a log having accomplished next to nothing so far today.......

I did make DH a Full English Breakfast including black pudding ( gag )

I foolishly then sat done to the internet instead of actually DOING anything and saw that a fav English blogger ( in fairness one of the few English bloggers I can stand, most are mindless ) has lost her husband very suddenly. Honestly how very sad. It is the blog Cottage at the End of The Lane. They have always seemed a lovely couple and this has been very quick and unexpected. I hope a fellow blogger might set up a condolence page for her.

Last night DH and I went to see an amateur production of Titanic the Musical. Did you even think Titanic could BE a musical ? It was very enthusiastically done......halfway through I whispered to Dh, "doesn't this remind you of old church "roadshows" we used to put on at church " and he agreed. WE enjoyed it very much. It was a in a small town in Gloucestershire in a tiny little theatre. As you were cheek by jowl with other theatre goers you could overhear a lot of conversations......immediately behind us were some VERY POSH INDEED old people who had been brought along by a daughter. Don't you LOVE people who actually DO say " Oh, jolly good !" in conversation.

DH had gardened and allotmented for England all week and I have immersed myself in work too as an aside to feeling like thsi :shock: Not right to see DS again this weekend, it would fry his brain . I have 4 bills I must pay today, laundry, cooking , as its just us we are going to try some new recipes............one is made with chard and chickpeas, a Spanish recipe that seemed worth a go.

I brought work home as I am doing a reading programme and need to get up to speed with it, I'd like to do as Jackie has done and go get some nice plants, but I am only going to fill about a dozen planters and that's the weekend really. I slept in til 9.30 and I don't care :o All better than simply wanting to curl up in a ball when brain is not engaged.

All the best to All , this week I shall also be digging out anything vaguely patriotic for the royal wedding, school will be doing something I am sure. Maybe make cupcakes for the kids whilst wearing a union jack tee shirt ......
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check In May 12th

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning Rinty.. Good to hear from you. I think you are allowed to be a bump on a log every now and then. I do not know how you manage to do all that you do and stay sane..
I have been up for hours, 4:00 AM, and doing things on my computer. From 12 midnight to 6:00 AM I receive free service otherwise when I am doing my on line searches to receive point I blow through my 10 gigabytes in no time. The satellite company then slows my computer down until the next billing period which is today.

I have enjoyed having the windows open and listening to the birds sing.. The sky has gone from black to lavender and now splotched with light blue and peach..The sun will be peeking over the hill on my brother's farm in a little while. The oak trees in the woods behind my house have finally leafed out and looks so nice and green. I do enjoy living here but the cost is a lot more than what I would like.. However I love the country and the serenity of the surrounding country side.. That is until the neighbors sons start to ride their ATV's around and make a lot of noise that is very annoying but that does not happen all the time.

Today I will be planting my veggie plants in the terracotta pots and earth boxes on my deck and after my neighbor cuts my lawn I am going to dig the holes for my apple trees. I have a water powered tool that will dig the hole for me but it will take time to get a hole big enough to put the trees in . Also have 25 strawberry plants to plant. Most likely that will be tomorrow. Normally we try not to do any kind of work on a Sunday to honor our Lord's day but the plants need to get planted soon. I did enough cooking ahead the other day that I should not have to do anything but work on gardening..

Have a good and frugal Saturday. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama
Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Saturday morning all,

I am normally an upbeat kind of person who looks at things as a creative opportunity to recycle, rebuild etc. But when too many things pile up, I need a mental health day where I am not productive. I had one of those this week. Usually, something triggers it. This time it was finding one the mexican workers who is building my driveway in front, walking around my back yard, taking my hose. What are you doing? Then I see that they have turned on my irrigation system to get water to hose down their driveway bed. I have that set up to carefully provide enough water pressure to do my entire 70 ft of yard separation bed. Did they ask before turning it on or changing the settings. No. PERMISSION matters!! :x

Well, this week, the handyman came on Monday. After removing the T-111 and doing some minor repairs to the cross wood in the porch, he was ready to put on the replacement concrete board. However, he couldn't because the driveway was torn up and the board is too heavy to tote across the yard. The driveway boss said just a couple of days. That would have been perfect with the concrete board delivery. But they lost a day with a machine issue, then over 90 of the pavers were broken. So I still don't have a functional driveway. So much for their just a couple of days. The flooring people called on Monday and said they would be over on Wednesday. However, I concluded by Tuesday, that would not be possible. The lady owner argued with me insisting they could just carry their materials from the street. I pointed out that they couldn't get to my front door and if they did, they would be dragging in a lot of dirt. Dirt, I didn't want in my house. She said she didn't know when they could get back to me in that case.(veiled threat?) Oh well. I have concluded that I was just a filler job between 2 important commercial jobs. They have had my 30% down for 3 months and just found excuses when anyone would return my calls, that is. I have been calling them every week for several months now. Very disappointed in them. But they have the matching vinyl and I don't know of anyone else that has it. But this will be the last time I work with them.

Today, I hope to have a small window to paint and caulk the repaired exposed wood. Maybe. So far, the zero chance of rain has been pretty wet. Yesterday, the handyman and I put up plastic over the exposed wood porch frame as best as we could because we are expecting 4-5 days of rain. :roll: So I have unpainted, uncovered porch wood that I hope won't get wet. I have piles of dirt in the front that I need to finish spreading out and the unfinished driveway. 90 broken pavers and several pallets. Even hubs says this is enough things torn up. I should have scheduled this better. I had to defend myself(adding to my stress) that I did schedule things properly. Giving each project at least a 30 day window per project, but the people ignored that. He admitted that should have been enough time.

I moved my car from the neighbor's house to the house next door after getting permission from the snowbird neighbor who had gone back north. Had it been 2 nights as the driveway guy assured, it would not have been necessary. But I felt that disrupting my across the street neighbor's parking for a week was not proper. Clearly, I made the right decision. In a perfect world, the replacement material is delivered Monday, the crew finishes their work on Tuesday and the final filler arrives on Wednesday and the job is finished on Thursday. They insist they can work in the rain, the 2-3 inches of rain that is predicted over next week. Sure. I am prepared to be amazed.

I haven't given much thought to frugal things. I have a coupon for Home Depot and I know how I want to use it, but I am not prepared to carry the stuff that far. I don't know if it will get used or not. Also we are supposed to head down to a bank and get some funds from my mother in law's estate. But hubs has to be there and there is no way to get him to the car. He is not strong enough to cross the ditch. :roll: He doesn't have any doctor appointments this month, thank goodness.

Well, that is enough venting. I am grateful that things are not any worse. Just inconvenient is not that bad I am telling myself. Well, off to check the weather and see what I can do. Have a good day everyone. Be safe and healthy.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Going to be another hot day here in south Texas. And it only gets to 90! Don't know how I will handle anything higher. I miss the cool spring days. It is still spring but not here.

Its amazing how different it is here at home from the places I have been spending my days. Of course those are surrounded by parking lots and zero trees. Very hot. I come home and just outside it feels nice and cool. We have lots of grass and pecan trees.

Still not 100%. Still coughing up green phlegm. Taking my cough medicine twice a day and my antibiotics. I've cut back on physical work. DGFlorida mentioned her ill handyman. Poor guy. Ill but still has to put in work hours. Hope he is doing it cuz he wants and not cuz he has to.

Hope all have a good day.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

rinty wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:38 am Morning

Sat here like a bump on a log having accomplished next to nothing so far today.......

I foolishly then sat done to the internet instead of actually DOING anything and saw that a fav English blogger ( in fairness one of the few English bloggers I can stand, most are mindless ) has lost her husband very suddenly. Honestly how very sad. It is the blog Cottage at the End of The Lane. They have always seemed a lovely couple and this has been very quick and unexpected. I hope a fellow blogger might set up a condolence page for her.

Last night DH and I went to see an amateur production of Titanic the Musical. Did you even think Titanic could BE a musical ? It was very enthusiastically done......halfway through I whispered to Dh, "doesn't this remind you of old church "roadshows" we used to put on at church " and he agreed. WE enjoyed it very much. It was a in a small town in Gloucestershire in a tiny little theatre. As you were cheek by jowl with other theatre goers you could overhear a lot of conversations......immediately behind us were some VERY POSH INDEED old people who had been brought along by a daughter. Don't you LOVE people who actually DO say " Oh, jolly good !" in conversation.

DH had gardened and allotmented for England all week and I have immersed myself in work too as an aside to feeling like thsi :shock: Not right to see DS again this weekend, it would fry his brain . I have 4 bills I must pay today, laundry, cooking , as its just us we are going to try some new recipes............one is made with chard and chickpeas, a Spanish recipe that seemed worth a go.

I brought work home as I am doing a reading programme and need to get up to speed with it, I'd like to do as Jackie has done and go get some nice plants, but I am only going to fill about a dozen planters and that's the weekend really. I slept in til 9.30 and I don't care :o All better than simply wanting to curl up in a ball when brain is not engaged.

All the best to All , this week I shall also be digging out anything vaguely patriotic for the royal wedding, school will be doing something I am sure. Maybe make cupcakes for the kids whilst wearing a union jack tee shirt ......
Rinty,
I'm so sorry to hear about Sue's husband's sudden death. They've been through the ringer the past few years and they have been in my prayers.

Titanic the Musical sounds like SO much fun.

I'll be traveling to RI during the Royal Wedding so will record it but hope to catch some of it at the airport. I've made my hotel res for London and still undecided on Windsor or Bath for the weekend.

You deserve to relax.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

rinty wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:38 am Morning

Oh no, I haven't looked at my blog or the blogs I follow yet today. I know yesterday she had comments turned off (or at least my yesterday as you are many hours ahead of us). I really feel for her as they were so hopeful that this new treatment would work.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/