Daily Check in May 14, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in May 14, 2018

Post by mbrudnic » Mon May 14, 2018 5:59 am

Good Morning Frugals,

I cut my solid quilt squares too big. I trimmed 2 of them too small. So I think my king-sized quilt just became a queen.

I allowed my health plan to have access to my fitbit account for a contest at work and am now having second thoughts. But the competition will spur me on to get my steps in. So it is a quandary. How much privacy and I interested in?

Have a great day,
Maggie

Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check in May 14, 2018

Post by Dgflorida » Mon May 14, 2018 6:32 am

That is a good question, Maggie. And no good answer.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon May 14, 2018 7:11 am

Good Monday morning all,

I am having a grid driveway put in. There are some pictures of it on pinterest. It is quite different looking than concrete, a more rural look. There was a huge amount of breakage of the concrete grids on the pallets. He had to order more. I asked if I could recycle some of the broken grids and he said sure. I thought I could use the pallets as well, but now I see they are extremely inferior and no doubt the source of the breakage. Yesterday, I began to sort through the broken grids. I can lift them if they are broken a certain way and I found a lot that I could use as a low concrete grid fence in the front. Since they will not be recycled, I am using my small sledge to "sculpt" then into the style I want. I can tell this morning that I have been lifting 25-35 lb blocks multiple times. My bicep and back are sore. We are socked in with continuous rain, so I don't know how much I can do. Rain is ok, but I avoid storms with lightening.

I have raked the old driveway shell and dirt around. It looks pretty good. Hubs really wants to put grass on it. I have told him that dirt won't grow grass.(it didn't when it was a driveway), but he is insistent. "What would happen if you throw some grass seed down?" he said. I said causally. "you might attract a few birds." He persisted. "No, no, what would really happen?" I shrugged. "You would waste a lot of money." Cracker style driveways don't grow grass. That is why they used shell to make driveways. :roll: :roll:

This afternoon is my eye shot. After that, I will need to be careful of water getting in the eye wound for a couple of days. I actually wear googles when doing dishes because the water knows I have an at risk eye. Amazing that way.

Hubs has started using the apple cider vinegar pain remedy a neighbor suggested. Since this was his week off pain medication, he thought it would be a good test. Day 6, no pain. Normally there would be by day 6. Maybe it works on arthritis.

My military son informed us yesterday that the base messed up and didn't turn in his re-enlistment papers. The base has sent a "sorry, we messed up" letter up the chain. We will see what happens. I decided whatever happens will be for the best.

Today, I am grateful for the cooler temperatures created by the cloud cover. We have not had to turn on the ac yet. :) Have a good day everyone.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Mon May 14, 2018 8:18 am

Starting today off wrong -- found out that whole town has NO water due to a water main break that occurred this morning at 2:00A. Mondays are one of my busiest days of the week and I can't do a thing out of the apartment until I get into the shower .... grrrrrrrrrrrr. I let my hair go when I have no plans to go out on the weekend and my hair is a disaster. Can't go out without it being washed. Have no idea how long it will take to get it back but I'm guessing it's going to be later rather than sooner. I guess I will check once an hour till we get it back.

I guess it could be worse. I could have scheduled my car to be serviced this morning instead of tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that it does come back sooner however as my Coloring Group is scheduled to meet today and it's really my only social activity for this week.

Oh well it's just one of those bumps in the road you have to deal with.

Update: It came back on much sooner than I expected. YAY
Last edited by LogicsHere on Mon May 14, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnneX

Post by AnneX » Mon May 14, 2018 8:28 am

Good Morning

Had a pleasant quiet weekend. On Saturday I walked to the textile museum and saw an exhibit of exquisite tie-dyed and painted kimonos by a Japanese artist. it was an appropriate follow-up to my visit to High Park earlier in the week to view the beautiful Sakura cherry trees in bloom. In the afternoon I went for coffee with a friend.

yesterday I did housework, went for my daily walk, and in the evening had my friend over to watch the first episode of Little Women on PBS. Also talked to my sister on the phone.

The weather seems pleasant today. I hope to get my tomato plants transplanted to their permanent pots. Appears danger of frost has passed.

I need to get a good walk in. I have a list of grocery store specials so I may walk to the store and take the subway back.

Meanwhile I need to have breakfast and get showered and dressed so I can go to exercise class.

hope everyone has a good week.

Take care,
AnneX

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Mon May 14, 2018 8:29 am

DGFlorida

Don't worry too much about the reenlistment paperwork. All it should take is one phone call from the right person. It isn't an act of nature that gets these things done - its just paperwork. And all that can be handled by human interaction.