Daily Check in Aug 9, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Aug 9, 2018

Post by mbrudnic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:45 am

Good Morning friends!

mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check in Aug 9, 2018

Post by mbrudnic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 am

I had time this morning, not sure why I neglected to check in while still at home. I had my pedicure and got my toe nails cut last night. DS2 came over. We made another list of stuff he wants to get in the next week to take to school.

I am so jealous, he is going to see Chicago and REO Speedwagon in Concert on Friday night. Chicago is my favorite. Ah well, such is life.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:17 am

Good Thursday morning all,

Starting today, I am adding my garbage bag to my neighbor's can. She said it was ok and that would save the garbage men some time since they have to walk over to get my small bag. I still have my recycle can out. I fill it up sometimes.

Yesterday, I built the foundation for the rain barrel on the north side. I didn't have enough concrete blocks to build the one on the south side. I got the last 3 from Home Depot before it started raining in the evening. So this morning, I will have to get to that. I have to be careful though and not sweat since it could drip into my injected eye. Not sweat in the Florida summer heat. :lol:

I have picked out 5 old t-shirts that are suitable for re-purpose. I plan to soak them today in borax or bleach to get them in the best shape before washing. I still have a dozen left after that, but I need to work in baby steps to get it all done. I am working on a plan to use the heat off of the new to me chest freezer to help dry small clothes. I have a small clothes line rigged up in the utility room for little stuff, but they would dry faster with heat. No reason to waste the heat. Thinking on it.

I have rethought on the lean to shelter off the south side and will propose the revised idea to the handyman today. If it is agreeable, he may be able to start it soon and I will have it by the end of August.

The insulation and duct work will be done by the same company and they say they will get it done the same day. That works for me. I dislike workmen in my house. Fewer times, the better. Only big thing workmen thing left will be the window install. Hubs and I went over all the things I had done this year. I had forgotten about several. It was a lot. I have been busy.

Today, I am grateful for my physical strength, that I can lift concrete blocks and bags of stones. Have a good day everyone.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:34 am

Another beautiful sunny morning

The days are getting shorter though. Fall is in the air. These days are just flying by

Today should be a day of relaxation. I do need to start exercising again.

Have one little event this afternoon

The ill friend was released from the hospital and appears to be okay. Lots of people checking on her.

The pups have been out and are back asleep. The COD left early for a doctor appointment.

Hope all have a great day

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:19 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

It is pretty hazy out due to the smoke from the forest fires in Alberta, British Columbia, and probably any in Montana or those northern States. It is also very warm again with the temperature supposedly going up to 34C once again. Our poor old window air conditioners are really getting a work out. Supposedly the temperature is going to drop on Monday and Tuesday of next week and then shoot right back up to the low 30's C for the next while. Definitely quite the heat wave going on here. The farmers will be happy as they can get the crops in much quicker if it is warmer.

Frugally speaking the usual will be happening here. I have my grocery list and will be heading out after a short walk. I noticed Hubby added one item to the list so I will get that little thing for him (it is little, but the price sure isn't).

After shopping I plan on getting a few things done around the house and freezing the last batch of beans I picked last night (fought the mosquitos for them and so did Hubby who checked and got those I left behind). The pole beans are still producing flowers so we will get even more in no time at all. Hubby has decided he likes this type of bean better than the bush type.

I also need to make a loaf of bread and do some dehydrating. Since the electric roaster oven did so well making meatloaf last night I am thinking of trying a cake in it at some point today. Just have to locate and try my tube pan for fit. This opens up a different appliance for cooking in the summer heat.

My friends' son is down with three of his four children. Seems that he has some welding jobs down here and decided that his Mom and Dad could babysit his kids, and feed them all for a week. This son of the three is the one that seems to use Mom and Dad the most, and is always borrowing money and not being able to pay it back. Then I get to listen to how used they feel when the son leaves..... I say put your foot down (only in my mind though cause I would get my head ripped off otherwise). It will never happen and this whining will continue each and every time it occurs.

Finished watching Altered Carbon last night on Netflix. Will I watch another season if offered? Not really sure as this type of sci-fi is not my cup of tea. But I would probably consider it if I managed to watch everything else I am interested in.

Supper tonight is using items from my pantry and fridge freezer. I plan on ham pasties along with sliced veggies and dip. I have a feeling this is an oven thing, but at least the oven will only be on a short period of time.

Today I am grateful that I can still do most of the things I did before breaking my wrist the second time, and that the pains I still get are nothing that I can't handle.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:06 am

Hello all,

I’m reposting some from my late last night post on Aug 8. I’m a bit behind as I slept in- sore foot & body pain kept waking me.
————————
Good evening friends,

I’m exhausted!! We went to our church swim party tonight, ate bbq’d meat and potluck salads, and got home about 2 hours ago. All 4 who were in water are cleaned, and my fave part- no arguments when told to go to bed after Family Prayers. 😁 I walked in the current pool tonight for about 40-ish minutes; good for my hips but I managed to hurt my left ankle & toes somehow.

I talked to my student loan servicer again today & I think we may have found a deferment for me — otherwise I either need to go back to college, or re-consolidate my student loans, which I’d prefer to avoid. I’ll scan & email the paper in that hopefully gives me that deferment. Cross your fingers & pray it works, I am too.

I’ve been having strange symptoms lately, Google says it's either an UTI, or a yeast infection. Oh goody, lucky me! ☹️ I’m going to Urgent Care tomorrow morning to get checked out... after I do Elementary registration for my 3 littles.

Rv shop *Finally* called me back, and they’ll order us a new tire that is covered under Dh’s RV tire & road hazard policy.