Aug 10, 2018 Daily Check-in

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Aug 10, 2018 Daily Check-in

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Hello friends,

The major downside to me having taken a nap later yesterday afternoon is that I'm still awake... that and the kidney pain (that seems to be increasing) are keeping me awake many, many hours after I should have been in bed.

However, I've been using my time wisely, knitting on my latest hat, and reading up on how to wash raw wool fleeces (I have one to do, my first ever).

Another reason why I'm still awake is because while perusing my feed on Facebook, just a couple of hours ago I discovered that a high school friend died in his sleep Wednesday night, he was 45 or 46. :( His youngest sister is a good friend of mine. I donated a bit to the GoFundMe account set up for his funeral expenses.
Dgflorida

Re: Aug 10, 2018 Daily Check-in

Post by Dgflorida »

Good Friday morning all,

Time sure flies. The week is over. The rain gutters and rain barrels are installed. We gave the guy a little extra because the work was excellent. Good work deserves good reward. I asked him to price another project. A lean to next to the house for storage. He will start on it in 2 weeks.

I worked on my paver patio yesterday. I have to decide on a design change as a result of the shape and size of the existing patio. I will play with that today. I am now 3 days post eye injection and I hope I can work outside a bit more. I had to avoid water including sweat getting in my injected eye. It should be less dangerous now.

I have held back on soaking the old tee shirts to be upcycled until I was close to a full wash cycle. Tomorrow should be the wash day.

I am watching the mail for rebate gift cards. I expect 2 from Behr paint and one from the health company. Gift cards are nice.

Today, I need to buy concrete blocks. I used them up building 3 bases for my rain barrels. Each base takes 9. Home Depot was out, but I dropped by there last evening and they are restocked. I can only carry 4-6 at a time. Concrete blocks are very inexpensive and are very versatile. I may combine it with a trip to Walmart market for vegetables.

Normal frugal things here. Our electric bills will increase though since we are getting in their zap cap program which is $8/month. This program is supposed to protect against unexpected electrical surges. It is just insurance on electronics.

Today, I also need to make an appointment for my bone scan. It has been a long time, like 20 years, and prudent to see how my bones are.

Today, I am grateful to my low carb diet. I can eat great food and not gain weight. Have a good day everyone and a great weekend.
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning

Last night DS and I made a run to Ikea for another list of Dorm-related items. I was a less that $20 trip, fortunately. We'll do some more shopping Sunday.

I am supposed to go to a free outdoor concert tonight, but there is a chance of rain, so we will see.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Still hot here and still getting smoke from the fires to our west. Today you can actually smell smoke!

I took my weekly pill, will post and then it is out for my walk before it gets too hot, unless I can actually manage to get a cup of coffee in before setting out through the door. I noticed Hubby turned off the air conditioning and opened all the windows. It isn't too bad in here right now, but the fan in the dining room now only has one speed so it will need to be taken apart at some point and fixed. That fan delivers a great deal of cool air and circulates the air once we start up the air conditioner for the day.

Frugal happenings around here will be the usual. I will be out in the garden for awhile this morning and am going to pick cucumbers, jalapeno peppers and more herbs to dehydrate. Got to keep up with the garden or it will get away from us. The cucumbers kind of have already, and some of the pepper plants are not far behind in some cases. There are a few cayenne peppers that are fully ripe so I may as well pick those as well. I won't dehydrate those however, but let them dry on one of the windowsills, then they can be ground or made into flakes.

The rest of the day will be spent working in the house, pickling those peppers (not making a peck or picking a peck), working on a tutorial for my blog (Gayle it will be done), knitting and making a big pot of Cream of Celery Soup to use up the celery in the crisper that is getting a bit forlorn. Then I will boil some eggs, and perhaps since I finally found a pan that will fit in the electric roaster for a cake, I may get that completed at some point as well.

This will be a no spend day which I really, really, need right now (could use a few of these strung together if I want to meet my goal for the month).

I need to make a couple of phone calls today as well. One is to reserve a room in the city on the long weekend next month. I think I mentioned that we were going to the football game the day before we left on our trip west. Well instead of coming home and leaving again the next day, we are going to stay and leave from that city. Two hours closer to our destination for the first leg of the journey. Since it is a long weekend and a football weekend on top we need to get that room ASAP.

Hopefully the rest of the day will be spent working on my previously started projects, getting the rest of those pesky things completed so I can start on new.

Supper tonight is going to be that soup and some egg salad sandwiches on that wonderful loaf of bread I made yesterday.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning all.

Maggie, your DS must be very excited to be off to college. I hope that he loves it. (Must admit that I'm glad Urban Meyer is in trouble, however. He screwed my school, UF.)

I'm finally feeling better this morning. I really got myself exhausted yesterday, not so much from the work as the heat. I did everything wrong. I was working in the middle of the day in the part of the yard with direct sun, no hat and no sunglasses. I did have water.

I want to cut the back yard in the next few days and now think I'll wait until 6-7 in the evening. This morning at 7:30 it was 82 F. I'll probably wait until Sunday. Neighbor was visiting me at mom's house the other day and commented on how nice the back yard looked.

I'm going to have a lazy day. I'll go to the bank (CD due) and then Aldi for blueberries. Kitty says she avoids stone fruit at Aldi and I mostly agree but I got good cherries there last time so will look for those, too. (Publix announced yesterday a $5 million gift to food banks. So I'm glad I shop there, too.) I do plan to go to the fitness center late in the day. I won't have time for the fitness center tomorrow and they are closed Sunday.

Monday my new friend and I are going to a workshop to make shell earrings. How fun is that. I certainly have plenty of shells.

Have a good day.
LWolfT

Post by LWolfT »

Good morning ... low 70s and overcast right now, with rain expected.

Woke up at 5 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. Sat up and read a bit before I dozed off. Unfortunately, when the alarm went off, I turned it off and went back to sleep for another hour. Oh, well, shouldn't make a huge difference in the day.

Had a nice time with friends on Wednesday night. DH was off yesterday, so we saw "Christopher Robin," which I enjoyed.

Need to clean up some work today, then I'm "off" to catch up on a few things ... way behind on dealing with produce at the moment.