A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
SandiSAHM

A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

Post by SandiSAHM » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Hello. It's a long story as to how this happened, but today DH came in contact with a 60-something year old lady who lives in (help? what's it called when part of your rent is paid by the government? Is that Section 8?) - at any rate, she gets SOME help, clearly. But the food donation/low-cost sales organization she got her food from over the last dozen years or so just went belly-up, AND she's going to have to have surgery on her dominant arm soon.

We belong to a church, albeit a small one, that can help to make sure she doesn't starve, for sure, until another full-time solution is found.

But at 60-something making $600 a month, isn't she just by common sense eligible for something other than just help with rent when it comes time for that surgery? She won't be able to take care of herself fully.

Which agency (?) helps older folks with that kind of thing (we're in Oklahoma)? Is there even such a thing as an agency that would send someone out to talk to her about both her temporary and long-term needs and follow-up?

MackerelCat

Re: A senior who needs help; a clueless person trying to find some

Post by MackerelCat » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 pm

http://www.okdhs.org/services/aging/Pag ... sMain.aspx

Oklahoma Agency for Aging services would be a good first stop.
Mackie

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Where does that 600 a month come from? Is it a disability type payment?

You could talk to a social worker at the place that handles Medicaid and that type of thing for seniors and low income.

Here in texas it is called DADS - Department of aging and disability services.

Try other churches. When I lived in Altus we were members of the catholic church there and helped all denominations. St Vincent DePaul Society was what it was called.

Even the people that handle her housing might have some ideas.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:57 pm

A big thing to find out is if she is under or over 65.

My uncle in Nevada lived on less than $900 a month. Very spotty work record so low SS. He lived in section 8 housing. My uncle was over 65 so had Medicare and Medicaid as his secondary health coverage so he was fortunate. (Surprisingly even with that very low income, the most my uncle ever got in food stamps was $27/month. Most years it was less than $20/month. My mom paid for a lot of his food.)

If this woman is less than 65 (Medicare age) I don’t know if there is much medical help because not surprisingly Oklahoma did not expand Medicaid when the ACA passed. If she did live in a Medicaid expansion state she would definitely qualify for a Medicaid to cover her medical bills and follow up care - at least to an extent.

There may be a county program. One of my mom’s Meals on Wheels ladies had her granddaughter with mental health issues living with her. Florida is not a Medicaid expansion state either. The county program was not real health insurance but there were doctors who participated and some Rx coverage. Not sure about hospitalization.

What a sad case.

Just thinking about it more, if she doesn’t have Medicare her surgery will probably be paid under the hospital’s indigent care. This is why some hospitals are in trouble and was the rationale for everyone having health insurance. Even 15 years ago when I interviewed the CEO of the University of Florida Shands hospital system, it was shocking the amount of indigent care they provided.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:07 am

Thank you for helping your poor neighbor and thinking about her well being.

GMPG54

Post by GMPG54 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:12 pm

The Office for the Aging might have some avenues that could provide assistance.
Or possibly the Salvation Army.