Daily Check-in, Friday, Oct. 12, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Daily Check-in, Friday, Oct. 12, 2018

Post by LWolfT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:21 am

Good morning!
A bit frosty here this morning. Finally gave up and turned on the furnace to take off the chill. (And I need another blanket, LOL!)

This has been a week of running errands, but got a few things done. Cleaned out the bean patch and picked off lots of peppers and a few tomatoes. I'm debating about getting the rest this afternoon, since the temps are supposed to drop lower tonight.

Had an idea to salvage one of my fall decorations. Have some Indian corn that I usually hang on the door, but the stalks have come off a couple of the ears. I bought a small unfinished-wood plaque -- will paint it and glue the corn onto that. Just occurred to me that I probably need a ribbon or something to finish it off ... hmm, will think on that.

Dgflorida

Re: Daily Check-in, Friday, Oct. 12, 2018

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:42 am

Oops, I didn't see yours. I will try to eliminate mine. Hang in there.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am

Good morning all,

Today will be an interesting day, most likely at home. Yesterday, I went to the medicare seminar. The health care group is very popular here. It was crowded. My neighbor said it was because Athnea bought CVS and had to shed its healthcare unit. So lots of people are looking around. I have to go with my husband's retirement company, so I was just there to learn what's out there for the day when I am on my own. I got a $10 gift card as well. Sweet.

That UN science report that said we are all doomed unless we stop polluting immediately has sure upset people. I followed a CNN panel discussion social media reaction and it was amazing how everyone blamed those polluters and demanded the government do something. One woman said this meant her grandchildren would not have a comfortable life and another said she would not give one more penny to polluters(industry). It was clear from her picture that she lived in a large house with a beautiful lawn. Several people called her wacky. I asked if that meant she wouldn't pay her electric bill, gas bill etc. Some held up China as a wonderful example of pollution reduction. I pointed out that most Chinese do not have large homes and multiple cars. Are you willing to live like that?

My neighbor(a democrat) and I agree that our small homes and frugal lifestyle is the right way to reduce world pollution. We point down the road to the 3000sq ft homes with 2 people in them.

Well, this drama will run its course soon and everyone will go back to living the good life. However, I am annoyed with the price of fresh vegetables right now. I checked several stores and no one had fresh vegetables at a reasonable price. Guess we will be eating out of cans for awhile. The local produce stand will reduce their prices when their produce gets a bit old, so I will watch for that.

Today, I am grateful that I live a frugal lifestyle. Have a good day all.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:58 am

Fresh vegetable season is generally over.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:01 am

It is nice and cool here in south texas

Still overcast. I'm up and about. Have to take the rental car back.

Going to breakfast first. After I take the car back, will just chill out at home. I've been slowly tackling one chore a day. I figure I have years to get organized and if I don't - who cares - lol

Hope all have a great day

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:37 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Cold this morning though the temperature is supposed to rise to double digits this afternoon (well that was the forecast yesterday, haven't looked today). I lay in bed for a bit longer this morning, since I have to have fasting blood work done this morning there really isn't much use me getting up too early. I do have a few chores to manage before I leave however.

My chore list is fairly long and I do need to make bread today so hopefully everything will be completed. I hate leaving things to do on the weekends. Those should be days where the bare basics get completed and I get to do the fun stuff that I enjoy.

This afternoon (well noon exactly) I have a meeting at the church. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes or so and I need to ask C if she has contacted the other person we talked about to do the reading in the Anglican church in a few weeks. If not one of us will have to contact her very soon.

Frugally speaking the usual will be happening here. Fresh veggies did not drop in price this year as much as expected. I am so glad we had a garden so at least a few of the most expensive were taken care of for awhile. Frozen veggies, I find to be much more economical and healthier than canned. Too much added salt in those cans for my taste.

We are looking at winter tires for our vehicle. These tires just don't seem to work well on icy, snow covered roads. Others have told us that by having winter and other season tires the tires seem to last much longer. I think we will give it a try as Canadian Tire seems to have some very good ones on sale this week. Hubby is going to check them out.

Bought a blood pressure machine yesterday (my those are not inexpensive at all) and will be monitoring both our pressures over the next while. I am to do so every day and keep track of the numbers to let the doctor know. I have already seen a differece in the top number from when it was taken at the office. I don't know what Hubby's regular blood pressure is so don't know if there has been a change in his at all.

Supper tonight is going to be salmon fillets, leftover salad, and homemade fries.

Today I am grateful for nice soft kleenix as I am blowing my nose so often lately (getting a cold).

Everybody have a great day. Take care.