Daily Check in Dec 3, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in Dec 3, 2018

Post by mbrudnic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:57 am

Good Morning,

I am contemplating going back to work after a week off. LOL! I did get some sewing done last night. More to go. I agreed to watch the Grandsons next Saturday, so I will have to get my sewing out of the living room for that.

I got to see them for a bit yesterday. I took them some necklaces with jingle bells from the dollar store. They loved the noise.

Well, I need to pack food and get going.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Dec 3, 2018

Post by Jackielou » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:02 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Up a bit earlier today, but saw no reason to go back to sleep when I got up to use the bathroom. So I hope to get most of the chores done this morning before I head out to the prayer shawl meeting this afternoon.

I am almost finished another goal for the month. However if I like what I am making I plan on making another for the Secret Santa gift. I have the makings ready to go and can probably make one in just a day or less.

Lots of household chores today so the sooner I start them the sooner I will be finished and able to leave the house not feeling bad. I do have a feeling my friend will call me to go over for coffee at some point this morning, so the more I have completed the better.

I put in the budget numbers yesterday (and filed all away). I am not a happy camper and yet I am. It turns out that while we were way over budget (cost of the tires really) it isn't that bad as we have new tires to show for it. What I am not happy about is that we went over budget on groceries.... It just goes to show how much basic staples have risen over the last few months. Heaven help me if I ever have to buy meat!!!

Frugally I will be doing my best to have a no spend day. I am keeping my eye on some yarn that is for sale on the garage sale site. I may just buy it if it is still available. Cotton yarn can always be used for something. I will be doing my frugal walk this morning, laundry will be completed in the usual frugal manner, meals will be using up leftovers and gleanings from the freezer. I don't believe any money will be spent today (at least I hope not). I will also be reading a free downloaded book on my ereader. Free is excellent.

I have been doing some reading on what foods are good for you and which are not. I think I am going to try and introduce some plant based protein into our diets a bit more often. It will mean sneaking it in as Hubby really likes his meat. Though I could serve more fish protein and he would be just as happy. I need to figure this out.

Supper tonight is going to be leftover ham from the fridge freezer. Not sure if I will make a casserole or just warm the slices up in the microwave and make scalloped potatoes. Could do the whole ham/scalloped potato casserole thing as well.

Today I am grateful that the tree is up and I get to enjoy the twinkling lights in the evening.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:25 am

Good morning ...
High 30s, with rain/snow mix predicted for today.

Well, the trees (yep, I do two, one a tabletop) are up, but not decorated. Discovered that one strand of the lights we used for the big tree was dead. But we managed to put together enough other lights to cover without having to buy more.
Went looking for my Christmas cards ... found another batch or two of old photos. So culled a few of those to give to family members. I still have to dig out the cards.

Anyway, have some work to clean up (been neglecting that). Also some errands to run. (Still looking for some greenery/ornament for that washboard project.) Then I'll see what else I can knock out.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:53 am

I need to call H-E-B to have my Rx’s delivered. The pharmacy doesn’t open until 10 on Sunday and my daughter took me earlier yesterday.

Last night I fixed poached eggs for supper. I love them and they are easy to make if your eggs are fresh enough.

I have a lot of things to try and organize today.

I bought a few things for Christmas at H-E-B yesterday. I want to start putting things together for my daughter's.

Penny

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:43 am

Good morning all,

It is another lovely, do something day. There is a small chance of rain later, but right now the weather is great. Yesterday, I pulled up the old false rosella hibiscus and took the seed heads and put along the south fence. I hope there are many volunteers in the spring. I think they would be pretty there as well as quickly grow up to provide privacy.

I took the old hibiscus sticks and put them in the garden recycle can for Thursday pickup. There is more garden clean up to do for sure. The little figs outgrew their pots and sent runners all around. Clearly, I will have to repot them and plant their babies in the spring. We will see how harsh winter is. I feel I need to pot up the azalea that I saved from the roadside. I put them in water and they seem very happy there, but I think they need to be in dirt. Maybe today.

My neighbor and I got in a walk this morning. We saw many pretty birds. She and I agreed that Melania Christmas trees were lovely. I read that the red trees were inspired by the holly trees red with berries in the White House garden. The holly were planted by Jackie O and the red trees were a tribute to Jackie O. That is a nice thought. It is sad that FLOTUS has received so much hate mail and hate press about them. I saw a really neat frugal Christmas decoration on a frugal FB site. Take a beach ball, attach a metal pail to it and hang it up on the porch as a giant Christmas ornament. Really cute.

Normal frugal things today. I washed clothes yesterday and hung them out to dry. Hubs folds clothes, but only in the morning. So I leave them on the line overnight and now since it is cool in the morning, I direct the dryer line on low heat/fluff into the house to take off the chill. Very effective. I found that if I bring the clothes in at night, they get damp overnight. Not good. Better to leave them on the line instead.

Tonight, I will try making fish burgers using the canned mackerel that hubs loves. Bind it with eggs and some almond flour and fry in the skillet. An experiment. The cooler weather arrives tomorrow, they say.

Today, I am grateful for a morning walk and that I appreciate the little joys of life. Have a good day everyone.

jckitty

Post by jckitty » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:48 am

good morning all,

Sometimes I feel like I let this dreary weather get to me. Today is one of those days, combine the weather with the family drama and I am like " stick a fork in me, i'm done ". The brother is at it again...
Today is just normal housework and all the things that come with it, blah I have no enthusiasm.

Supper of roast beef is in the crockpot, will make mashed potatoes and salad along with a veg to serve. Hoping dad can eat it as he is supposed to have a tooth pulled today.
Well that's all I have for now...
Have a good day all,
JCKitty