Daily Check-in, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Daily Check-in, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018

Post by LWolfT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:23 am

Good morning ... getting us started!

mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check-in, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2018

Post by mbrudnic » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:55 am

Good Morning,

I got more sewing last night, I have 2-1/22 more towels to do and my bobbin thread is bunching. I'll try changing the needle tonight. The on to microwave bowl cozies.

I supposed it would be nice to get out some decorations before the little boys come to spend time with me Saturday. I have some of my Drummer boys out.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 am

Good morning all,

Normally, I would be walking now with my neighbor, but an old neighbor, widower and blind called her last night and asked her to take him and his dog to the vet this morning early for a check up. It seems rude to me to call and ask on short notice, but she has allowed it in the past and he is depending on her more and more since his wife died earlier this year. He is afraid to ask his kids because that will encourage them to move him out of his home.

The weather is turning cooler and the wind is out of the north. It is time to put up the plywood over the north windows. Tonight we will eat leftovers and then I can get the crock pot ready for Wednesday turkey breast with black beans. A hubs favorite. I buy the beans dry and soak them. They are better tasting in my opinion. They are also a huge savings over canned beans.

Hubs cataract replacement seems to be healing nicely. Normal frugal things around the house. I am trying to reduce the use of electricity in little ways. Electricity is expensive and reducing it is frugal. So today, I will broom sweep the house. I would like to do more, but right now it is my only recent frugal add on.

It is time to use up the hurricane stockpile. We have some cans of mackerel in brine. So last night, I tried making fish cakes. They were ok, but I clearly need to squeeze more juice out of them first. Hubs liked them and I admit, they were pretty good. I estimate that it was about 70c/person.

I plan to head down to save a lot this morning. They still have cucumbers on sale. And I have switched to their turkey bacon since Walmart no longer carries my preferred brand. If I time it right, I may find some discounted beef. If it is $1.69/lb, it is a good sale.

My wall on the northwest side is built. It will circle an extension of the patio there. I won't work on it today, but at least it is ready to go.

Today, I am grateful that I am not depressed. I have several friends fighting the holiday blues and I hurt for them. Have a good day everyone. Be happy.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:20 am

Good morning fellow frugalities!

But I might have to kick myself out of the frugal group. I have already spent all my monthly "allowance" in 4 short days. LOL I'll just blame it on Christmas

It is a beautiful sunny morning. Nice and chilly. The boys and girls have been out and about. They let me sleep until 730. So nice of them.

Have a lunchtime festivity. Why call it a festivity since I had to go buy stuff for it and then put it together. But it is my fault since I tend to go overboard. Why can't I be like the person that throws a bag of shredded cheese at us and calls it good? :mrgreen:

Hope all have a great day

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:30 am

I have been busy, I have a white wash in the dryer.

I finished loading the dishwasher and set it off. I have a few hand wash items in the sink that need washing. The garbage is mostly gathered I will put it out later. it is still too early.

I need to start organizing my gifts as to whom they are going. I do have the right size flat rate carton.

It is in the 40s (about 7º C) with a windchill of 38º (about 3º C)

Not much else is new.

Penny

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:55 am

Good morning again ...
Just below freezing with some snow expected.

Actually did get a fair amount done yesterday. Did some work on a framing project, and found the greenery for the washboard project. (Have to get the paint next.) Plus laundry, etc.

Today, need to make a couple of calls, want to make bean soup with the last of the ham broth. I finally wrote out a list of all the little things I want to do, so I can "get around" to them, LOL!