Ground beef recall reissued

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LWolfT

Ground beef recall reissued

Post by LWolfT » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:07 am

Looks like more ground beef is being recalled due to Salmonella concerns.

https://www.wthr.com/article/ground-bee ... ore-pounds

ohjodi

Re: Ground beef recall reissued

Post by ohjodi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm thinking of grinding my own beef.

Its the chopping and churning that lets e-coli and such really contaminate ground beef. The pound you buy is from a hundred different cows, often from different giant commercial farms. Unless it's ground at the store, It gets ground in some huge factory through the machinery that has processed thousands of other cows. Then it all gets distributed around the country. Through all of this I doubt they can maintain safe temperatures.

I never hear of steaks or roasts being recalled. I can't afford to get organic grass fed free range from the farmer down the road. But I have a KitchenAid mixer, and could get an attachment to grind my own from roasts at the store.

Food for thought.
ohjodi

jckitty

Re: Ground beef recall reissued

Post by jckitty » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Jody,
I have used my hand crank grinder to make ground beef before. I used beef roast that was about half frozen, and cut it into cubes. Worked fine. But it was work LOL.
I had purchased top round roast that were on a great markdown. Trust me they don't do well as a roast, too lean and they dry out, ick. When ground I mixed with some really cheap fatty ground beef and it was great, I would say about 85% ground up roast to 15% fatty stuff.

I really prefer ground chuck, but the price of a chuck roast unless on sale is really high around here.
I have also ground pork shoulder when on discount and made sausage and plain ground pork for burgers or meat balls. I find it cheaper than premade sausage before, for me the trick is too use it partially frozen.

I have often wondered if I could do turkey the same way, probably could. I don't mind ground turkey but the family doesn't care for it. Little do they know it has been mixed with sausage for sausage gravy before and they didn't know it.
JCKitty