Daily Check In December 5, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In December 5, 2018

Post by Jackielou » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:27 am

Getting us started. See you all in a bit.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In December 5, 2018

Post by Jackielou » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:51 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Sitting with my coffee, wrapped in a quilt (my shawl is in another room and I am too lazy to get it).

I did manage most of my household tasks yesterday, but need to move a few to be done today. Mainly the shirt exchange, and some of the cards. I did a bit of baking and hopefully will get a bit more done today. The list really isn't that long for today, but add the errand in (also need to stop at the Dollar Store for some brown paper and perhaps a box for packing) and the morning could swiftly disappear.

Youngest DS sent me a text yesterday asking if I had any knitted baby blankets handy. One of his coworkers is expecting her first child and he thought it would be a nice gift. I don't have any right now but told him I would have one made by the time he left to go home after the Christmas holiday. I went down and pulled out some white and green yarn. I need to pick up a couple of balls of yellow and another one of white. I think white, yellow and green are perfect for a neutral type baby blanket. My yarn suitable for baby blankets is slowly disappearing. All that is now left is tiny partial skeins or unmatched colours.

Frugally speaking, while this should in fact be a no spend day it will turn into an allowable low spend one. Funds seem to be bleeding out of the bank account lately which is not a good thing at all. I am hopeful that this will be the last month of bleeding for a very long time.

I plan on taking my walk shortly on the treadmill. Hubby has taken a few walks outside lately but he has ice cleats to put on his shoes and used my poles the last time. If and when he finds ice cleats for me I will enjoy getting back outside for my walks (even if it is just a short one to pick up the mail).

Baking supplies are mostly purchased (few things I would like to get, but can do without them) and on sale as well. I don't have to feel guilty about making a few treats (okay lots of treats). Today I just might make some whipped shortbread cookies and I really have been contemplating making some roll out ginger cookies (might cut them out with the mitten cookie cutter I found). Those should keep me busy for part if not all of the day.

Supper for today is going to be Chicken legs and thighs. I did forget to take them out of the freezer so perhaps the slow cook method will need to be forgone. Cooking them in the oven will be okay. Served with a salad and rice we should be nice and full.

Today I am grateful for a home that keeps us sheltered when the power goes out.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 am

Good Morning,

Trying not to think about how 26 years ago it was my wedding day. Sigh.

I cut out a lot of fabric for microwave bowl cozies. I have been commissioned to do some for an aunt. I grabbed the wrong size square ruler for the patter. I cut 10.5 inch squares rather than 12.5. But I put one together and my various sized bowls fit in it, so I will carry on.

Happy to be a work-from-home (wfh) day since there is snow and many schools are on a 2-hour delay.

Have a great day,
Maggie

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:26 am

Good morning ...
Low 20s and we've had a covering of snow since last night.
A bit groggy right now. Big Boy got sick ... on the bed ... at 3:30 a.m., so had to take care of that. I wasn't ready for the alarm to go off. (Fortunately, the cover is easily washed.)

Did get a few things knocked off the list yesterday and some progess on a couple more. For the holiday, DH's employer upped the employee discount, so we stocked up on several things. At this point, we should not need anything outside of milk, eggs, produce for quite a while (I hope ...)

Today, need to wash a bed cover ... pay some bills, and pack up the photos for my relative, since she's coming by tomorrow.

Maggie (((hugs))) ...

Jackie, the baby blanket sounds nice. Good on your DS for thinking of it!

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:47 am

Good morning. We had light snow yesterday which was not expected but it covers the ground and makes things more like Christmas. Freezing cold with wind chill of 22 F but going to warm up to around 45..

Not much going on just the usual household chores. My aide will be here and she will finish the laundry. I like to sort and spot clean but she does the rest.

I am going to make a meatloaf and fix a box of Au Gratin potatoes that I bought at Dollar Tree.. Also will heat up some leftover broccoli from the freezer. It was leftover from a restaurant meal that my DB had treated me to a while back.

Have a good day. Stay warm and frugal. Janet Alliesmama
Janet Alliesmama

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:59 am

Good chilly Florida morning all,

Yesterday the cold front came through and the temperatures began to drop, but the house was so warm that I opted to wait until today to begin additional insulation of windows etc. This morning, the house is down to 74F, so late today, I will put up the extra insulation and see if it makes a difference.

Tonight, I will crock pot a turkey breast. I started thawing it yesterday in the frig, but I put it on the counter to finish this morning. The refrigerator is very cold. I wonder if that is the way it says I am on my last leg. Well, I will wait and see. This is the rental refrigerator and I have no idea how long it was here. The dials to control temperature are gone and so I can't really mess with them. Left overs are often with a bit of frost on them if they stay in the refrigerator more than two days.

My neighbor and I went for a walk this morning. It was short. She got cold. She couldn't go for a walk yesterday because she took the old blind neighbor and his dog to the vet at 8 am. Then she said she had a headache. I think she is fighting a sinus infection. Then in the afternoon, she had to take a girlfriend of her daughter to work. I told her that she needs to remember to take care of herself. That she matters and not to push herself so hard. But that is all I can do. She said she was thinking of going to the store and seeing what they have on sale. I told her we got the ads yesterday. She said she got them too, but she can't see to read the ads anymore. Those ads are big print. And she drives all over. Scary. I am afraid she will get in an accident because of her poor vision. I worry for her, but that is all I can do.

Hubs is continuing to heal nicely from his cataract operation, but he still is cranky because his eyes see differently. I have been a bit tired lately and my FB group says I am probably low on salt. They say electrolyte imbalances are common and fatigue is often the first sign. Interesting.

Normal frugal activities here plus some late day additional window insulation.

I am grateful for a warm house today. Have a good day everyone.