Feb Food Stamps/SNAP coming early, Jan 20

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ohjodi

Feb Food Stamps/SNAP coming early, Jan 20

Post by ohjodi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:38 pm

If you or anyone you know gets food stamps/ SNAP, the February benefit is being given out on Jan 20th to the link cards, instead of in the beginning of February.

This is the food stamps for the whole month of February, it is not extra or a bonus, and there will be no food stamps given in the beginning of February.

There also will not be food stamps given on Feb 20th. The next food stamp payment will be the beginning of March, IF THIS GOVERNMENT SHUT DOWN IS OVER BY THEN.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
ohjodi

floridacatlover

Re: Feb Food Stamps/SNAP coming early, Jan 20

Post by floridacatlover » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm

This is nationwide from what I read. I know they have to do it this way because of the Shutdown but I think a lot of SNAP recipients will run out of food by late February. I’m thinking of my uncle who, if he was still alive, would spend his early SNAP benefits by Feb. 1. No question in my mind. What a mess.

ohjodi

Post by ohjodi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:06 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm
This is nationwide from what I read. I know they have to do it this way because of the Shutdown but I think a lot of SNAP recipients will run out of food by late February. I’m thinking of my uncle who, if he was still alive, would spend his early SNAP benefits by Feb. 1. No question in my mind. What a mess.
It will be hard for a lot of people. Food stamps are often only about half of what a person needs for groceries for a month. The last week of the month is pretty tight for food money, even for people who aren't on food stamps.

Getting it early is much better than not getting any at all, of course. I just hope people can make it stretch.

Did they do anything about whether people are getting tax refunds on time, yet?
ohjodi

LWolfT

Post by LWolfT » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:49 am

Jodi, last I read, the IRS expects to be issuing refunds (and filing season is supposed to start on time late this month.) Though the story mentioned that the IRS will recall workers ... without pay.

On food stamps: Hope folks can make it stretch, too, but I suspect the food pantries/soup kitchens are going to be slammed in late February.