Reading Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
randamax

Reading Challenge

Post by randamax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am

I'd mentioned this a few weeks ago, but didn't get much of a response. However, I thought I would go ahead and post it for those who may be interested. I did not create the book challenge - I only saw it and thought it might be fun! I thought maybe those who participate could go ahead and post their results here so we can see/hear about your book choices for the different categories. It's supposed to be a one year challenge (for us slowpokes!), so this is a bit of a late start, but there are many on here who read a great deal and will probably complete the challenge in record time. So without further ado, here's the challenge:

Read…
Your best friend’s favorite book
A book that is more than 150 years old
A book by an author who shares your first name
The first book in a series
A book with a yellow cover
A book that was published the year you were born
The biography of someone you admire
A book that’s been on your shelf for a long time
A book released in 2019
A book that has been made into a movie you’ve already seen
A book that will help you achieve one of your goals this year
A book you were assigned to read in high school, but didn’t!

Good luck everyone!

floridacatlover

Re: Reading Challenge

Post by floridacatlover » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:27 am

I’m a slow reader but I think these categories sound like fun and I’ll keep track of my reading.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks for posting the reading challenge. It's interesting, but not for me. The categories alone are not appealing to me. I only read "light" fiction including historical romance now and in between some frugal living books. I have to "like" the title of the book; if not, I won't touch it. I feel the same way about movies. It has to really appeal to me otherwise I won't bother. I've never been one who feels they have to stay on top of the best seller lists. But that's me.

rinty

Post by rinty » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:47 am

Randa I really like the look of this challenge, I am a voracious reader ( as is DH ) and it sounds right up our street.

The final challenge will be either Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck or To Kill a Mockingbird for me but can I recommend ANY Jane Austen to anyone who hasn't read any of her books as the book over 150 years old.

Start with Pride and Predjudice, you won't regret it .

I like the random Idea of picking a book with a yellow cover too, how funny ;)

Thank You !!!!

randamax

Post by randamax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:57 am

floridacatlover wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:27 am
I’m a slow reader but I think these categories sound like fun and I’ll keep track of my reading.
In the past I have been a bit of a slow reader myself. Now that I have more time on my hands and actually have an interest in reading again, I hope my reading pace will pick up. For the longest time I just could not focus on reading anything - books, magazines - nothing seemed to appeal to me. Now that I have some energy back, I've been enjoying reading again!

randamax

Post by randamax » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:00 pm

LogicsHere wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:29 am
Thanks for posting the reading challenge. It's interesting, but not for me. The categories alone are not appealing to me. I only read "light" fiction including historical romance now and in between some frugal living books. I have to "like" the title of the book; if not, I won't touch it. I feel the same way about movies. It has to really appeal to me otherwise I won't bother. I've never been one who feels they have to stay on top of the best seller lists. But that's me.
I get ya. For quite a while I was stuck on mostly non-fiction books. And while I still enjoy them, I kind of like the escape that a good novel provides. It allows me to focus on something other than just real life things. I've also read what I consider to be some light fiction and have enjoyed it. For me, those are kind of my summer 'beach reads'. Nothing wrong with that!