Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Post by randamax » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Are you a 'lucky' person? Have you ever won anything? I was thinking of entering some contests now that I have time on my hands, but I don't think I want to dedicate too much time it, and I know I don't want to sort through all of those emails!

But it did get me thinking about the things I've won in my lifetime and it made me wonder what others may have won.

So, I've won...

A brand new car! When I was in high school, our band and drill team were raising funds to attend the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, DC. The big fundraiser was selling raffle tickets to win a brand new Toyota Celica (Toyota has made those in years, but it was a 'hot' car at the time!) On the day of the drawing, there were hundreds of people gathered in the gym to find out who would win the car. My dad was out of town, so it was just my mom and I who attended. When they read my name, both mom and I nearly fell off the bench! We didn't think we'd heard correctly, so we waited for them to read the name again. Sure enough, it was me. I was a sophomore at the time and didn't have my driver's license yet! I was of age to get my permit, so immediately my parents started teaching me how to drive and Iicense. lgot my learner's permit. A few months later when I turned 16, we went down to DMV and I got my license. I was in a bit of a hurry because, after all, I had a brand new car waiting for me! I drove that car for a long, long time.

A fox fur stole. I attended a fundraiser for the City of Hope with one of my co-workers and we each bought a book of raffle tickets - I think the book had 10 tickets. They had a lot of high-end prizes, the stole being one of them. I was in my early 20's and really had no use for the stole. In fact, I never did wear it. But it was fun going to the store in Beverly Hills to pick it up! After a number of years, I finally sold it on ebay. As I recall, I got $50.00 for it. It was initially valued at over $1,500.00. I thought making $50.00 on something I'd gotten for free was terrific!

A trip to Ireland. Years ago my sister in law tried out for The $25,000 Pyramid game show. She was chosen and ended up winning $10,000.00. I had helped her practice the game, so she kept bugging me to try out. I finally did and I made it! I didn't end up winning any money, but I did win a trip for two to Ireland. I took my sister with me. We had so much fun! My parents wanted us to go to England and Scotland, too, so they ended up paying the extra for us to do that. It was the trip of a lifetime for both of us and we still talk and laugh about it all the time. My celebrities were Vicki Lawrence and David Graf.

Miscellaneous 'stuff'. I was on two more game shows after Pyramid and won some miscellaneous items. $500.00, a set of pots and pans, Rice-a-Roni (coming out of my ears!) and a few other things that I can't recall at the moment. One of the game shows was Supermarket Sweep. My sister was my partner. This past summer one of my nephews was determined to find our episode on YouTube...and he did! It was hilarious to watch. It was the 80's (or early 90's?) and I had HUGE hair! lol

What about you? Ever won anything?

ChristmasTrees

Re: Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Post by ChristmasTrees » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:11 pm

Holy cow!
That is a LOT of winning!!!!!
I once won a "sleigh of cheer" at a local restaurant. It was a raffle that benefitted a scolarship fund. Bought the ticket just to help the fund.
Well.....It was a HUGE sleigh. CASES of alcohol...all types. Worth thousands of dollars.
DH and I don't drink!!!! We gave away ALL of it during the year.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:32 pm

wow - the biggest thing i won was a microwave oven!

I do plan on winning the lottery soon - :mrgreen:

randamax

Post by randamax » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:11 pm
Holy cow!
That is a LOT of winning!!!!!
I once won a "sleigh of cheer" at a local restaurant. It was a raffle that benefitted a scolarship fund. Bought the ticket just to help the fund.
Well.....It was a HUGE sleigh. CASES of alcohol...all types. Worth thousands of dollars.
DH and I don't drink!!!! We gave away ALL of it during the year.
That's hilarious! Of course it would be something you couldn't use, but hey...I'll bet it made for lots of nice gifts to other people! Besides, it's really just the fun of winning something.

I've tried from time to time, but ... no lottery yet!

randamax

Post by randamax » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 pm

clemencia2us wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:32 pm
wow - the biggest thing i won was a microwave oven!

I do plan on winning the lottery soon - :mrgreen:
When you win, will you remember all of us 'little people' who knew you when? =)

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm

randamax wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:08 pm
When you win, will you remember all of us 'little people' who knew you when? =)
I will!!!! I already know that i will split it with all my siblings.