Daily check-in October 6, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Daily check-in October 6, 2019

Post by alliesmama4 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:19 am

Good morning. Up before the sun again.. Today my "baby brother" turns 73! Yikes where have all of the years gone?

Not much planned for today. Chance of rain and or storms off and on. A good day to stay home and do some cooking. Also a great day to settle down with a good book and a cup of tea while listening to the rain fall. A perfect Fall day.

Creative hope your time in England goes well. How wonderful to be able to go back to see where your family actually lived.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

Jackielou

Re: Daily check-in October 6, 2019

Post by Jackielou » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:03 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is peaking out now, and I really hope it stays out. I find that people are much more joyous when the sun is out. More the, everything is okay in my world now type.

We are having a food drive at the church today, so we will drop off our bag of goodies on our way into Mass. The CWL is supposed to do the ministries today, but as one of the younger members said, they are getting older and some are no longer able to take part. She asked me if I would distribute the cup and since it was in person I said yes (would much rather not, but hey ho, I need to learn to say NO looking directly at a person).

After Mass we will probably have brunch here at home, and then it is get down to work time.

I need to sandwich the scrappy quilt, perhaps figure out the backing for the denim quilt, work on the embroidery, and process the ripe tomatoes into either soup (if enough Roma's are ripe or for the freezer if enough of the others are ready). All wonderful tasks to do of course, but I was really hoping to have some of my projects completed by now and moved on to others on the list. It seems I the time needed to get things done lately, or perhaps there are not enough hours in a day.

Talked to my youngest brother yesterday and the other brother (younger than me) who he lives with is threatening him with a what he calls "care home". Yes youngest is probably close to 300 lbs, but I blame other brother who buys him crap to eat and then does not let youngest brother do any exercise, or keeps him like a mushroom in the basement suite all the time. Truth be told, I don't think it will happen as youngest brother owns the house they live in (Dad made sure of that) and other brother would need to move out selling the house and spending youngest brothers retirement funds in order to pay for the stay. This brother is the greedy type and as youngest brother's will gives any of his money leftover to the children of this brother I doubt very much any of his threats will happen. It does scare youngest brother though terribly, he was in tears when he called me, and whispering so no one would hear him.

Supper this evening will be roast beef, roasted potatoes, and roasted carrots.

Today I am grateful for beautiful mornings.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

rinty

Post by rinty » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:33 am

Aww Jackie, your poor younger brother, the idea that he was whispering makes it all the worse. That must be hard to listen to, hope you can reason with Leeching Older Brother. Imagine what your parents would have made of it.

Thank you SO much for the blog in your blog side bar called " FrugalWoods ". I have laughed so hard I needed a ladies product :shock:

Especially the entry about their going to a Christmas eve service last year......... do NOT read with a full bladder, just sayin'.

Its nearly 3pm and I have hit...........RELAXED and HAVING GOT EVERYTHING DONE :shock:

I know, I am quietly stunned.

This was all stuff that had built up cos I was caring for kids/dgks and working silly hours for nuthin'

I am now about to make some Baby Shower cookies just for FUN and Cos I Want To, not because I have been assigned.

I hear you about saying NO. Saying NO in church is doubly hard but it needs doing otherwise you end up at c. hurch feeling narked which is not why you went there.

Similar thing here re Harvest Festival, I work in a low income area and the parenst are being tapped for the THIRD time since we went back to school in September. We have very few donations not cos they are mean but cos they are TAPPED out. Final straw was the request for money taped to the donated food ! No, DADGUMMIT ! DH of course reckons we should fill a sack from our food storage to cover this shortfall.........NOPE, our usual donation is FINE.

Oh, and we heard from THREE of the five kids yesterday when I put out my " I want to be alone " embargo. :shock: They obviously sensed it ;) Do I feel guilty having NOT made a roast dinner with 4 different veggies, cheese sauce, gravy and two desserts ??? I DO NOT.

ANYWAY...........busy week beckons. Standard childcare and Craft Club. Card making this week, they can express themselves . :shock: I had planned several weeks that involved sewing.............No freaking way........I will return to cross stitch nearer Christmas but otherwise I am sticking to BEGINNER levels all round for my own sanity.

Breakfast was a doughnut BTW.

I am Christmas shopping one night using POINTS which will mean all Non immediate family are done...........and I buy all Immediate Family exactly what they ask for these days so all the effort /choosing part is now done. SCORE.

Feel SO much better now everything is done and dusted and we've had some quiet time and been able to see the wood for the trees and got some niggly " extras " done too.

Only thing that remains is bills for DS.........but none have been sent yet. So I got ahead of the game and asked for them all ( hurrah !!!)

At the moment a completely stress free week is looking at me...........DH reckons I should make an appointment re that prang just to check myself out. So doing that, getting glasses fixed and getting my prescriptions, other than that its just work , no extras.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:39 am

another bright sunny warm south texas morning

Might be the last for at least a week. We are expecting a cold front. Temps down to the 80s! Very cold for us - :mrgreen: Considering we have been setting record high temperatures. The whole month of August was a record high

I've been up for several hours now. The pups have gone out at least three times.

Trying to think of what i will do today. Tidy up - gather things for the trash pick up tomorrow. Organize a drawer.

Sweep - mop. Make lunch. Things like that.

Hope all have a great day

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:45 am

Have to tell someone this sort of funny story

Went to a community potluck yesterday. Was invited by one of my breakfast buddies. Lady that is more a friend of my older siblings, but there are some things that they just don't do together

Anyway, she is telling me stories about her neighbors and a person that was talking to her.

In the middle of this she says - "I don't know what the person was telling me, because I don't really listen to people. I just zone out. I'm not really interested in what they have to say".

That is the second person that has said that to me. Makes me wonder. Do they think I want to hear what they want to say. Both will go on and on.

And for some reason, I have never been able to "zone out". I can hear everything around me. Conversations stay in my head. It isn't always a good thing. Maybe one day i can zone out too! :lol:

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:20 pm

I don’t know how I did it as I was asleep but I managed to open the incision on my forehead during the night. I was able to stop the bleeding with pressure and put a bandaid on it. Poured peroxide on both blood spots and did my best to get the blood out. I then soaked both items in cold water. I hung them to dry a few minutes ago.

And went back to bed. I was able to sleep for another hour or so.

I am wiped out today. I had planned to baked cookies this morning I am not baking them.

I have a dish towel load in the washer almost ready to go into the dryer. This load does’t require immediate folding when it is done.

Penny