Daily Check In November 30, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In November 30, 2019

Post by Jackielou » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:38 am

Morning all. Off to get coffee, back soon.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In November 30, 2019

Post by Jackielou » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:00 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I seem to be in that nasty sleep/wake cycle right now. My body would love to still be in bed, but the mind will not shut down. Oh well, that means I at least get more baking done and a walk on the treadmill.

No outside walks for me today. The roads are sheer ice. Instead of the snow that was forecast we got sleet. It put a lovely crust of ice on top of what ice we had before. Good thing I plan on staying in today and keeping busy.

Frugally this will be a no spend day. I will be exercising in the house, working on getting the Christmas baking done (some of which will be used on Monday when I host the Prayer Shawl group), entering budget items, filing paperwork, and shredding the months collection of things that need to be shredded. I might also phone and make an appointment now that I have a doctor for the mobile breast screening that will be taking place here very soon. Though Dr. J will probably be sending me back up to the city for another mammogram in 2021.

Then of course there is the baking I want to get done today. I hope to complete some squares like Peanut butter squares, Nanaimo Bars, Butter tart Slice, Carmel Slice and if I am really lucky some sugar cookies as well. It may mean no sewing again today, but if I work quickly I should be able to get at least a bit of sewing in.

Hubby will be bringing the tree up today. Hopefully that will be all set up so I can decorate tomorrow. An all day job, but one I really enjoy doing.

Other frugal happenings here will be using items up in the fridge for meals, hopefully by tomorrow most will be cleared out for a new week of leftover storage. Also I hope that not much has migrated to the back of the fridge and been hidden in dark corners cause those will need to be tossed and I really dislike waste.

I might even manage to declutter something today (mind you getting the paperwork filed, entered or shredded is actually something that declutters the office area very nicely).

Supper this evening is going to be something made with chicken breasts. I plan on using up the leftover rice as well. A tossed salad will finish things off nicely.

Today I am grateful that I can choose what I want to eat, when so many in this world can not.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 am

Good Morning,

This must have been the very first Black Friday I did not go out and Cherry pick some deal. In the morning I worked, doing training. The afternoon was spent at Mom and Dad's. All of my boys were there. The little ones helped Mom decorate and hang ornaments on the tree. The big boys helped Dad get the boxes out of the attic. We watched the Cincinnati-Memphis football game. My Bearcats did not rise to the occasion.

This morning I am meeting several high school friends at a local restaurant. It is a rainy day with temps in the 40s.

Have a great day,
Maggie

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:22 am

Good morning all,

Another lovely warm day in Florida. Today I hope to continue working on mulching the shed extension in anticipation of the arrival of my yard sweeper. I have a long piece of property adjacent to the road and it fills with leaves thanks to my many trees. This sweeper should reduce my work load significantly. This manual sweeper should also reduce my energy bill since I won't need to use the electric leaf blower as much. Hubs said he was pleased with the solar charging on his emergency radio. He will begin testing our other solar devices today. Today is the last for sure warm day. Tomorrow could turn blustery depending on how fast the cold front arrives.

We want to set up the hotel and airport shuttle, but our military son failed to provide us with all the information we need. So hopefully, tomorrow when he contacts us, we will get the information we need and can get the arrangements done. I dislike waiting, but that is the way it is.

Today, I hope to contact the boat captain, my neighbor's son who can take us fishing in the Bay. My military son has never done that kind of fishing. It will make a good memory for him before he transfers out of the country next spring. His assignments have him out of the country for at least 3 years. During his visit, we will set up an account with the local Navy credit union. The reason is that we can put money into his account for birthdays and such while he is out of the country.

Hopefully, the kitchen counter will be put in this coming week with the appliances in place as well. Hard to say if it will be done before our son visits. Another good reason to put him up in a nearby hotel.

Frugal activities today will include yard work and crockpot chicken for dinner. Rain is expected tomorrow, so I won't be watering today. If it rains as expected, tomorrow will be a good time to start the Christmas cards. We have plenty of cards.

Today, I am grateful for the lovely Florida weather. The predictions are that it will be a lovely week when our military son visits as well. Life is good. Have a nice day everyone.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:28 am

I am up, having my coffee, reading the news and waking up so i can go spend time at our "open house"

Also having a small yard sale. I'm taking some clothes that i do not wear. I just didn't have the energy to pack up more stuff

The weather is warmish. Very damp - everything is wet, but it isn't raining. It was foggy all day yesterday. We should hit 80 degrees!

Tomorrow it cools down to the 60s. And the sun comes back out.

Wish us luck on selling the house.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:11 am

Hello friends.

Clem, good luck with the house sale.

Jackie, your Christmas baking all sounds so good. You are very ambitious. I looked up Nanaimo bars and they look delish.

I plan to finish most of my decorating today. Yesterday I put the ornaments and beads on the tree. Love it. So many sentimental ornaments. The rest of my decor - dining table, kitchen bar, coffee table and powder room - are partly done and shouldn’t take too long to complete.

Every year I say I’m going to get an early start on my Christmas cards so I’m hoping to write some today. I still have some Christmas stamps saved from last year but will buy more on Monday at the small P.O. that is usually not crowded.

Since the Mr. Selfridge series is several years old I was able to renew it at the library website. It was due today so I now have another week but will probably finish watching season two this evening and return it tomorrow. Season three is not available at any of the libraries near me so I’ll have to request it. In the meantime I’ll watch The Crown and Mrs. Maisel starts again next Friday. My reading has taken a backseat to watching TV.

Have a good day.