Daily Check In December 2, 2019

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In December 2, 2019

Post by Jackielou » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:04 am

Getting us started. Back once I have coffee in hand.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In December 2, 2019

Post by Jackielou » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:32 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

Just had a post go pouf, think I might have touched the wrong key once again. But just to be save I may do small posts and edit once again.

I am up early which could be a good thing, I should be able to get all that I want accomplished this morning before the ladies arrive for our little Christmas get together.

Frugal happenings here are the usual Monday things. Laundry will be done as frugally as is possible. I am actually thinking of asking Hubby to put up a couple more lines in the back part of the basement. It would be lovely to be able to hang up another load of clothing, and only need the dryer for sheets and towels. I will need to work on him over the next little while. I could also pick up a folding drying rack (but lord those have gotten expensive over the last while).

I have the usual chores to do on Monday and I am adding a few extra. I need to get things put away now that the carpet and furniture are completed, get the decoration totes downstairs, find my Christmas tablecloths and trays (need some décor for this little Christmas get together today), declutter, work on my daily planner for next year (using up lined paper from my work that I still have), cleaning out some ice in the freezer, getting the gift bags upstairs, putting gifts under the tree (looks kind of bare right now) and perhaps after the ladies leave making a run to the library to drop off my reading material and pick up some more.

I hope to get the peanut brittle made tonight along with working on my sparkly knitting. The back of said knitting is done (with lots of pattern changes) and I really hope to get the top completed by the end of the week. Still working on the temperature blanket.One more month to go and hopefully a few balls of orphan yarns will be used up, though looking in the bag I keep those I am using, it looks like another blanket could be made next year (now there is a thought, a running yearly temperature blanket).

I am really very happy with the overall budget so far. Later this month we will be working on getting 2020's budget spread sheet made and ready to go. I think we might be able to tweak a few budget lines. However the line for groceries (which holds everything from that to pet food, paper products, personal products and OTC meds) scares me a bit. I need to be able to cut that down, but prices keep rising and really good sales seem to be disappearing up here. When you only have a few grocery stores you trust, it is hard to comparison shop.

Last nights ham was excellent and 6 bags of meat are now residing in our freezer. Each bag will give us another meal, plus leftovers that should and usually do feed us a second time. I even have a bag in the fridge for Hubby to use in his lunch sandwiches.

Supper tonight is going to be leftover pork roast or the last of the leftover turkey from our Thanksgiving. I have tossed salad to serve with it, as well as some veggies that need to be used up residing in a container.

Today I am grateful for the ladies that help me knit prayer shawls.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:06 am

Good Monday morning

I sure hope to hear from the kitchen contractor this morning. I sure hope the counter top goes in this week. I signed the contract in October and it is now December. I want my kitchen.

My military son will visit next week. We are putting him up in a nearby hotel with a kitchen. The price is reasonable and it is very close. When we arranged his visit, we assumed the kitchen would be done. Since it is not, at least someone will have a kitchen. Last visit before he is deployed overseas for 3 years.

I am leaving on December 25th for Houston. I sure hope the kitchen is done by then.

The rain heralding the cold front arrived last night. It was just a brief shower and the temperatures are still warm. 68F right now outside. But they say the cold will arrive today although there is a lot of debate over how cold and when. But my turkey breast is cut into 2 breasts and one is waiting in the refrigerator for cold weather to cook in the crock pot. Cook it with a cup of soaked dry beans for a hearty meal. Dry beans are frugal and when prepared with meat, a frugal meal stretcher.

I read an analysis on the effect of wind chill on a building temperature. It was from a University. It says that wind chill creates a drop of 10 degrees on the wall face. Another study said that I can reduce heating costs by as much as 10% by cutting wind chill against the house. Interesting. I don't mind reducing heating costs by 10%. Money saved is always nice. Less energy use is good for the environment. Win-win.

I repotted the tomatoes yesterday and planted a bunch of volunteer plants in hopes that we would get a great rain. Guess I will water today. The leaves are falling like snow. If we get the promised winds, should be a Florida "blizzard". This should be a home day. Always lots to do in the house.

Today, I am grateful that it is still warm this morning. Have a nice day all.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:47 am

Heck i am grateful that it is nice and chilly outside! I can wear my big pink fluffy robe and be comfortable. The sun is shining too. It is a beautiful day.

Humidity is gone. We have had some clammy damp warm days. Nice little cold front. Minimal winds when it came in. Will be in the 70s all week. And sunny

Today is laundry day. I didn't go last week, so have a full agenda. Down to my last 15 or so pairs of drawers. :mrgreen: Can't wear those all week like my jeans.

That will be my main tasking today. Not sure when i will go. I have to laze around with my coffee and read the world news

Have a great day all

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am

I woke up far too early.

But I have been busy, I finished one Christmas tree I started a while ago. I have one more trunk to knit.

I also dumped the baking soda in a shaker container into my container for baking soda for my wash. Then I refilled it with Barkeepers Friend scouring powder. I removed the label and wrote the contents on the container.

1 of the penguins was on the floor this morning. So I will need to find a different type of magnet. The large round peel and stick were still on so I may go look for more of those. I had a stack of those but I only 2 of them left. I also want to look for some black, white, orange, and blue peel and stick felt when I go to Walmart next time.

I have cleared part of my kitchen counter I have pitched a lot. There is a lot more to go.

Penny

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:15 am

Good morning. We had snow during the night but it has mostly melted away. Bummer. I love to watch snow falling.

Have to take Teddi for his pre-kennel boarding shots. It is about a 60 mile round trip. I still have a sore throat so will call to get an appointment with my nurse practitioner. I think it is sinus related.

Keeping those in need in my thoughts and prayers.

Have a good day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama