My 2020 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2020 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Dgflorida wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:43 am
Your creativity in the kitchen is amazing and inspiring.
Thanks Dg
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I did not get as much done as I planned but that is ok. My niece, from Arizona, called and we talked for a couple of hours. She is in self quarantine. Normally she flies to South Korea but had been on vacation in Mexico for a few weeks before everything went nuts. She did a couple of weeks of flying in the US but she is now self quarantined just to make sure she does not have anything to pass on to her neighbors. She lives in a gated community. She has also taken a voluntary 4 month furlow. She has high seniority and could continue to work but she said she would rather take it easy at home even if she does not receive unemployment. Her sister, my other niece in AZ, lives in the high desert. She lives off of the grid and they have solar panels. Also they have at least a years worth of food plus they have chickens so she is good for a long time too. Glad she is so well prepared.

I called my brother and he said they are doing well. They call the hospital in St. Louis as much as they need to in order to know how to adjust my nephew's insulin if it goes higher than the guidelines they were given. He said they have a lot food and drum roll here.. 50 rolls of TP...lol... I am glad since I had called to see how their supply was going and if they needed some. Since they will be ok I have no more concerns for myself needing to share my stash.

Breakfast was my usual oatmeal and a fresh pot of coffee with whole milk.

Lunch was leftover brat with more sauerkraut added to make a nice portion. I had a couple of bites of applesauce with it and felt satisfied enough to put the remainder in the fridge for another time.

Dinner was the last of the tuna fish salad with gluten free crackers, some green olives and handful of cherry tomatoes. I also had some gf crackers with a little bit of strawberry jam for dessert.

I had found some baked beans in the freezer the other day and thawed them out. The American Diabetes Assoc said they make a good snack so I had some today for a late snack.

Today I froze a half gallon of milk in glass jars,, one cup to a jar. Also will freeze the last of the sauerkraut for another time. Tomorrow I will have to get busy and process the zucchini.

I had a good day despite the problems others are having around the world. Feel so sorry for all of the people who are suffering with the disease and for those that have friends and family that are sick and may have died. Also concerned about all of those that are being quarantined and whether or not they have what they need to get by in the way of food and finances. These are sad and scary times. I feel guilty being so happy about myself and my family doing well. Keeping all in my thoughts and prayers to get us through these hard times.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I had my usual oatmeal and a fresh pot of coffee for breakfast.

Lunch was 3 soft corn tortilla tacos. I realized I needed to start to use up some green onion and cherry tomatoes so I sliced and diced them up to use them for topping for the tacos. I diced up a few pickled jalapeno peppers and shredded some cheddar cheese. I hand grate my cheese on a box grater. Years ago I realized if I shred my cheese on the finest hole I get more bulk from my cheese. So a little bit of cheese goes a lot further and yet you still get the nice cheesy flavor. I noticed that the shredded zucchini that I had added to the taco meat was no longer as visible. I could see an occasional light color which could have been thought of as onion by someone that was unaware I had added zucchini to add extra bulk. So next time I will definitely chop it more finely and actually add more to the meat to stretch it even further.

For dinner I made "nachos."' However I did not have any tortilla chips and I wanted to save my soft corn tortillas to make enchiladas so I went through my bag of gluten free crackers and picked out the ones that were broken. They have nice crunch to them and were a good replacement for tortilla chips.

Off hand I cannot remember how many green onions I had but I cut the root end off with about 2 inches of onion and stuck them in a planter out on my deck. If they resprout great if not I am not out that much. However you are suppose to be able to regrow some veggies using their root and green onions are one of them.

Earlier today I went online to buy some veggie seeds, onion sets, and seed potatoes. Several places I looked were sold out of things especially in the onion and potato sections. I know I could buy them locally at the Farm and Home stores but I am staying out of all stores for the foreseeable future. I managed to buy a sample bundle of onion sets from one catalog at a reasonable price. Some online garden catalog stores did have larger quantities of onions sets but they cost $25.00 + and I do not have the money, the energy, or the space to plant that many. I am happy with what I did buy. I do not plan on living off of the land but having some basics to pluck from your garden is always nice and rewarding. By the time my veggies start to grow I will hopefully have my cages built to keep keep Dennis the Menace out of my garden.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

A very long day and too tired to update. Hopefully tomorrow.

Take care everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 pm
A very long day and too tired to update. Hopefully tomorrow.

Take care everyone.
Hope you are doing okay and feeling better today Janet.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:41 am
Hope you are doing okay and feeling better today Janet.
Thanks Sheila. I am ok just trying to do too much at once..
Janet Alliesmama