Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:48 am
If it is like my cousins place, the axes and such are not stored in a place easily accessible. In fact most nights my cousin has them home to repair and sharpen.
I am thinking more along the lines of someone training to do evil things or going berserk during the actual business hours. I think with all of the horrible things happening in the St. Louis Metro area we do not need to have anymore places for people to learn how to do things that can hurt someone. People are being high jacked in broad daylight at their homes, shopping for groceries and just about any place. I just think it is a violent activity. My paranoia is showing.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:35 pm
I am thinking more along the lines of someone training to do evil things or going berserk during the actual business hours. I think with all of the horrible things happening in the St. Louis Metro area we do not need to have anymore places for people to learn how to do things that can hurt someone. People are being high jacked in broad daylight at their homes, shopping for groceries and just about any place. I just think it is a violent activity. My paranoia is showing.
Turns out the knives, machete(s? is machete its own plural, like "deer?"), saw blades and axes used at this place are only sharp enough to sink into the wood lining the target wall, the guy demonstrated that you're not going to cut your skin with it (by running across his arm). Which is good, given that they also sell alcohol. I'd love to fully read the waiver your have to sign, but who has that kind of time...

DH's group all left the place unscathed.

Had to pay the tax accountant today. There goes my %.

4 of 7 - 57%

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

8 of 12 - a full 2/3 again, all because DH is away for work. He comes back tonight. Tomorrow? Grocery shopping :lol:

Get paid this week; as planned all but tithe will go to savings (don't pay my first quarterly tax installment until the end of next month).

Woke up to rain, which just makes me want to roll over and go back to sleep but can't do that, so... I'm up, and as it turns out work is slow so I could have stayed an extra 30 minutes or so. Oh well.

Fasting thing is still working. Well, I'm still working it, not sure how it'll pan out on the test results in the long term but I did see the doc and she wasn't against the idea (wouldn't have stopped me even if she was, but she's open to new ideas and curious about the results, so, yay). The rest of my days are the super low carb days.

I'm one of those people who can't stand for someone to touch their feet but now that I'm officially diabetic apparently I'll get an annual foot exam. Passed that with flying colors but happy it's only once a year.

She also offered me a pneumonia shot. Which I accepted (I don't take the flu shot; haven't for over 2 decades & haven't had the flu for exactly the same # of years) because.... 1 out of 2, right, got to let her win SOME of the time. Now I can barely move my arm and it feels like everything halfway across my chest on that side is having some kind of tendinitis flare up. No one warned me. Didn't hurt when it happened but I woke up yesterday like this. Ooooow.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida »

I don't like my feet touched either. I have a lot of abnormal, tender bumps on my feet from years of dancing. Doctors just love to press on bumps. I sure hope you don't develop the diabetic foot pain that they talk about. I have been told that it is very debilitating. Hubs has avoided it with low carb and medicine. I did need advice on how to trim his toenails since diabetics are prone to difficult healing sores on their feet. I didn't want to accidentally nick him. I am curious about the fasting for hubs, but he takes so many medications that require food, I can't figure out how to do it. Any advice?

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Dgflorida wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:58 am
I don't like my feet touched either. I have a lot of abnormal, tender bumps on my feet from years of dancing. Doctors just love to press on bumps. I sure hope you don't develop the diabetic foot pain that they talk about. I have been told that it is very debilitating. Hubs has avoided it with low carb and medicine. I did need advice on how to trim his toenails since diabetics are prone to difficult healing sores on their feet. I didn't want to accidentally nick him. I am curious about the fasting for hubs, but he takes so many medications that require food, I can't figure out how to do it. Any advice?
I've never liked shoes that didn't fully enclose the foot (no flip-flops, open toes, slings, etc., and nothing strappy except for like 2 months in 1990 a pair of tevas that I hated and finally tossed) which probably explains why I have no bumps or callouses. Foot policy is clean, dry, properly protected (my Mom was a 'fashionable' shoe person and her feet are a mess; I gave up even low heels for good at 33, my back sighed in relief :lol: ) - and not touched. Socks always wick, shoes almost always breathe (winter boots excepted). It's probably some psychosis but it's one I can live with so I'm not out to fix it :lol:

I take few meds (3, now), and none have a 'take with food' directive. One needs 8 oz of water, but that's it. It doesn't say how MUCH food, does it? Not like 'take with a meal?' If I had to take a med with food while trying to fast I'd eat a hard boiled egg and call it good unless my stomach staged a revolt.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

9 of 16.... 56.25%

Because DH is home. He managed to spend $10 yesterday and he and DD are going to a big box store for eggs (necessary) and a charging cord (I don't see the point of having another one for another car, but I'm not 18 so my sympathies rarely side with tech). She's paying for the cord but the eggs are just a grocery thing.

I'd rather have him here than not, but I think I might have to hand down a no-spend moratorium and put this joint on an austerity program for a while. A little discipline is a good thing.

I have to buy cap/gown (two sets - she's finishing HS, he's finishing grad school), announcements for her, have some senior pics done for her (DS is an amateur photograher so he'll do them but I want some good sized prints for us and grandparents) and throw... A GRADUATION PARTY. :?

Which might be a double-whammy for her AND him (? I question the wisdom of this...she alone can reasonably expect a turnout of 20 people, if I start adding a bunch of adults to this thing it could get too big), but at any rate there will be ONE party, in mid to late May. Her grad gift from us was already given.

Also a camp thing we go to every April, 5 days away; then there's a vacation in late July / early August (which is his graduation gift), then YET ANOTHER trip in December.

2021 will be called "The Year They Stayed Home" :lol:

And in all likelihood it will actually probably be a normal April and December travel year. If the April thing wasn't one of those things where we do a lot of volunteer work, I'd skip it. I no longer enjoy the venue. I like the PEOPLE just fine and appreciate seeing them. Last year I half attended, half-worked (there's lots of free time, I used the hotel's wifi - I don't 'camp' due to seasonal allergies and the allergic asthma it triggers) and I think I'll do the same this year, it's less mental downtime. I don't really like mental downtime, I get anxiety when I'm not actively mentally engaged in something.