Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:22 am
Things were getting better.... and now? It's kind of flat, with maybe a small uptick into the 'bad' zone.

I'm out of salad stuff (lettuce, spinach, the 'greens') - it's too early to have them from the garden and it's nearly impossible to 'stock' them when you can find them at the grocery store (haven't been to a store since last weekend, but when we were there, the salad aisle was pretty sad). Even DH was struck yesterday - "we're out of lettuce :o " - yeah, I know, that's why dinner featured broccoli so prominently.

I have some broccoli, frozen, but not enough to get through this thing and, while I can eat a salad every day of the known world, my digestive tract will not allow broccoli with the same repetition.

You know what stores well? Carbs. Rice, in particular. Beans, which I can only eat in small qtys. So right now I have to reeeeally watch what's going on. But I've found myself 'stress' eating and eating just because the people in the house are eating. :o But I have to admit DH is right, that freaky sweet potato and the butternut squash DID contribute to one of the best curries I've ever made.

DH's desk (3 monitors, a bunch of junk I don't understand, office chair... it's huge) is now in my office and has blocked my treadmill and I'm allergic to the outdoors (pollen season big time here). And it's going to be 90 today, pollen and heat are asthma triggers for me.

I don't go back to the Doc 'til the end of April. Not sure how things will look. I guess I'll just wander back and forth across the house between phone calls to try to get some movement going.

I'm going to have to get him to move that contraption he works with and put the treadmill... somewhere. ANYwhere, where I can access it. Maybe even our room. I'm not sure it'll fit through the door, though, the office has double doors, it was easy to get in here.

I understand what seems to be a good idea for pantry staples and long term storage are all items loaded with carbs. That is my problem right now too. I am eating more carbs than I should using what I have on hand and my blood sugar has been creeping up. When you are gluten intolerant and diabetic it is really hard to find the right balance. I understand stress eating too. I an going to try to get back more in to the ketogenic foods although since abandoning my leaky gut diet my gastritis is rearing its ugly head again. I had to discontinue the leaky gut diet due to it was too difficult to find the various things that I need.

Good luck with your diabetes and being gluten intolerant they are not compatible and with you being a vegetarian too I cannot imagine the struggle you are dealing with especially during this very difficult time.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 pm
I understand what seems to be a good idea for pantry staples and long term storage are all items loaded with carbs. That is my problem right now too. I am eating more carbs than I should using what I have on hand and my blood sugar has been creeping up. When you are gluten intolerant and diabetic it is really hard to find the right balance. I understand stress eating too. I an going to try to get back more in to the ketogenic foods although since abandoning my leaky gut diet my gastritis is rearing its ugly head again. I had to discontinue the leaky gut diet due to it was too difficult to find the various things that I need.

Good luck with your diabetes and being gluten intolerant they are not compatible and with you being a vegetarian too I cannot imagine the struggle you are dealing with especially during this very difficult time.
You're too sweet.

Believe me, a little less access to food isn't going to be my demise :lol: I could stand to lose a few more lbs.

DD made (GF) chocolate chip cookies last night. That child. I went and read in the bedroom with the door shut (finally my sense of smell, which I've only had off and on for the last 15 years and has been mostly 'off' since allergy season started here this year - decided to be ON. Or it was psychosomatic - I could smell those baking... :? ).

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:14 pm
You're too sweet.

Believe me, a little less access to food isn't going to be my demise :lol: I could stand to lose a few more lbs.

DD made (GF) chocolate chip cookies last night. That child. I went and read in the bedroom with the door shut (finally my sense of smell, which I've only had off and on for the last 15 years and has been mostly 'off' since allergy season started here this year - decided to be ON. Or it was psychosomatic - I could smell those baking... :? ).
Ah comfort food at its best...I think I can smell them from here..lol.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Well, March of 2020 is OVER :shock:

I can't say it was frugal - but it was all necessary, so there you have it. No way could anyone have predicted THIS nonsense.

Our electric company... every Monday morning I get a 'so far this month...' usage alert with the current kwh/$ usage and a projection of what the months usage/bill will be.

This everyone staying at home thing? It's driving up our electric bill!

3 things... 1) that giant rig my husband uses for work - who actually needs 3 screens at the same time? How many eyes do you have? 2) my son has taken up woodworking. By that I mean he makes sawdust with power tools (my power tools, so it *might* be a hereditary interest, but where I repair and refurbish he seems set on the destruction of new wood (but I figured... there are a couple things I want but don't want to pay market value for so I'm having him make them; I'll paint them), 3) we've been using a monitor as a TV screen and streaming the Great British Baking Show on Netflix (which leads to 4.... DD is baking more - it's a gas stove but I think the AC - yes, the AC, we've already been at 90+ with 84% humidity outside and my asthma can't handle humidity - is battling the stove. Might be time to get the counter top oven out of the attic and set it up outside, if she wants to bake she can do it without heating up the house).

Ah, well. Have to do something to stay occupied while we.... occupy.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

April! 0 for 1 - 100% no spend! Whoo!

Getting it while I can...

Today is definitely a no-spend day.

I may put on some beans to convert to a bean soup for restocking the 'lunches' freezer section, but if it happens it would be later, like 3pm ish... or probably Friday, when the high is predicted to be a whopping 45 degrees. Yup, definitely Friday.

DH put the tomato and cucumber plants he raised from seeds outside yesterday, he'll follow up by putting little water tents* around them to keep them from being blown over or affected by cold weather after he gets out of work (out of the front room :lol: ) later today.

*like this
https://parkseed.com/kozy-coats-insulating-plant-protector/p/09260-PK-3/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyuKz19rH6AIVi5yzCh2Y2A_aEAQYAiABEgK3dPD_BwE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ppc_google_pla&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIyuKz19rH6AIVi5yzCh2Y2A_aEAQYAiABEgK3dPD_BwE:G:s

but free, Dad sent them to us after he stopped gardening.

I wonder if the HOA will let us put up a little greenhouse - nothing fancy like one of the neighbors has, but more of a hoophouse. If we keep it short, what they can't see can't bother them, right? Just shy of a 'house' more of a row-cover style thing. Hmm.

Anyway... back to work. It's been slow but what IS happening is all weird stuff and my boss is doing his best to 'not' boss, he's either super distracted or is expecting certain people who are set to inherit the business to step up and make rational decisions. Which pretty much means I'm flying blind out here and will have to make my own rational decisions.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

April 2. One expense. 50% for the month.

DH's temporary pay cut will be 'felt' the first paycheck in May. It's a ~ 3 month / 10 week (and then they re-evaluate) thing, so that's 5 lower than usual pay periods.

Sounds like time to play a game of 'extreme frugal!' - if I can get everyone on board. The fam are good with frugal, it's what I look at as 'extreme' that they.... 'we're already frugal' - We can be MORE frugal... is met with blank looks. They don't understand. Which is only weird with DH because he was brought up in a situation where there was a lot of $$ around, it just wasn't SPENT, his father socked $ away while feeding 4 boys like it was a hardship - it wasn't, it was just that he didn't want to spend on them (2 weren't his children, maybe that had something to do with it - but, at any rate, DH knows low-$ food and rationing, though it's been over 2-1/2 decades since he had to deal with it).

Maybe it's because extreme frugal was just "life" for most of 2003 - 2016... somehow they didn't notice the uptick in expenditures after 2016? They're probably about to be educated...

(The beauty of vegetarian meals though, is that with a well-stocked pantry you can turn out some seriously good food without a great deal of expense.... which is probably why no one realized things were extreme).

Extreme frugal, to me, is also called "See how much we can stuff into savings in SPITE OF...."

Without cutting charitable donations or help to folks who need it.

April - June should be interesting!

Can I re-title my 2020 challenge? "Year of the Corona"

Vacation has been cancelled (1 of 3, the other 2 are....1 is low-$, the other is a "maybe" really late in the year). DH's COMMENCEMENT / graduation proceedings for his masters - is in limbo - early May - no one knows... He'll still have the degree, but we were kind of looking forward to the ceremony...

Anyone see the first Incredibles movie? The part about Dash's graduation from 2nd grade? "It's a ceremony..." "It's PSYCHOTIC!"

Well, in this case, it was to be pretty ceremonious here, he's not doing school anymore afterward. 5 degrees is ENOUGH.