Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Sandi's 2020 $ Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:15 pm
DH's employer is international and on occasion people end up with assignments overseas. There's ONE location I would LOVE to live in, just for a few years. I can't speak the language but would love to learn it. However, my kids are in that weird spot where one is just about to start college and the other will be starting right around the time the first gets out, AND we have a dog and the whole shipping my dog overseas in the belly of a plane thing... ugh. The timing is all off. A decade ago I'd have been all over it.

There's another spot that's too close to France, and I speak 2 (1-1/2, I can't write in the 2nd, and can barely read in it) of the 3 languages spoken there. If I lived there though, it would be expected that I'd go "home" every single holiday and I'm just not young enough for that much constant travel anymore, even on a pretty fast train :lol:

I think most of my traveling days are behind me. DH is a lot younger than me, so waiting around for him to retire...

It's okay. I'd like to move, once we're no longer employer-dependent, to somewhere that has a coastline. I miss the beach.
Living on a beach of any kind has always been my desired place to be except not where you have heat like Florida. More along the east coast but that is out of my price range. Even on the lakes in Minnesota are out of my price range now. I hope you are able to find your little piece of heaven on earth on a beach someday when your DH retires.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Made a cheesecake.

SHOULD I have made a cheesecake? Probably not, but DH and the kids will eat 7/8th of it so not too worried.

Also, have never made one before. Don't use gelatin as a personal choice (vegetarian) so I made it the old fashioned way and with a GF chocolate cookie crust. Going to make a chocolate sauce for it.

I've used the spring form pan for other things, finally got around to using it for this. If it goes well, we may never set foot in a Cheesecake Factory again... well, maybe, but if it turns out good in a month or so I'll try a lemon-flavored one and if THAT is good, there'll be no need to ever plunk down too much $$$ for cheesecake again.

Several days into a no-spend streak. That said, I'm sure something will happen.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:20 pm
Made a cheesecake.

SHOULD I have made a cheesecake? Probably not, but DH and the kids will eat 7/8th of it so not too worried.

Also, have never made one before. Don't use gelatin as a personal choice (vegetarian) so I made it the old fashioned way and with a GF chocolate cookie crust. Going to make a chocolate sauce for it.

I've used the spring form pan for other things, finally got around to using it for this. If it goes well, we may never set foot in a Cheesecake Factory again... well, maybe, but if it turns out good in a month or so I'll try a lemon-flavored one and if THAT is good, there'll be no need to ever plunk down too much $$$ for cheesecake again.

Several days into a no-spend streak. That said, I'm sure something will happen.
Yum Cheesecake one of my favorite things. But going dairy free. I am looking in to make one with cashews. I hope it is as tasty as the dairy based ones. I will let you know if and when I make one to see if you would like to try one with your vegetarian based diet. Although I think cashews are pricey. The recipes use raw cashews.
Janet Alliesmama

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:26 pm
Yum Cheesecake one of my favorite things. But going dairy free. I am looking in to make one with cashews. I hope it is as tasty as the dairy based ones. I will let you know if and when I make one to see if you would like to try one with your vegetarian based diet. Although I think cashews are pricey. The recipes use raw cashews.
!! I guess I should have said it's the first time I've made a 'cheese' cheesecake. I've made vegan 'not-cheese' cakes - they were more like pies, those I always did in a full crust in a pie pan rather than a springform pan. Made them with Tofutti cream cheese and Mori-Nu tofu. I need to find that recipe - no cholesterol!!

There's also a lemon/pineapple/orange pie (it comes out looking like a lemon meringue pie minus the meringue, but tastes way more like a pineapple pie, it's TART and refrigerated - corn starch is the thickener) that always gets done in pie pan. DH loooves that stuff.

Speaking to myself: Yes, San, that's what you need - more cake / pie. Ha!

So we tried the cake, and while DS thinks it's the most amazing thing he's ever eaten (he's 15 and a little less picky with desserts than with regular food), it doesn't have that 'tang' that some cheesecakes have and all I can figure, after reading more recipes, is that it needed some lemon juice. Which makes sense because the 'non-cheese' cakes I've made had lemon juice. Hmm. It bears more research. But probably not now, as the oven ran for 73 minutes today and that's about as much fighting the AC as I need for one summer.

Henceforth: ice cream (or rice dream - though a friend can make a fantastic ice-cream like dish out of coconut milk) for all!! No-cooking & it's cold :D

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Yesterday - no spend. Today - spend day.

Windy day - reeeeally windy, not just a breeze. Very gusty.

Painted an accent color on some space in the living room today. It'll look pretty good once the top is trimmed out (DH went for trim - spend day) and the decor put back where it belongs. It's a dark color but the rest of the room is light, the curtains are light, the upholstered furniture is light, ceilings are high, I didn't think it would drag down the room or make it seem small and lo, it actually looks pretty good. So, I feel like I got *something* done.

You know what's bad about putting really good paint on new walls, right - the builder's paint guy, super nice, him, his son, their crew, but those guys spray, for efficiency's sake, they don't roll. So now I'm looking at this two coats of $60/can paint (Benjamin Moore Regal - the texture! The ease! The scrubability!) on walls that were soooo thirsty, because they're barely more than drywall with a light diluted latex spray on them, and looking at the rest of it (we've been here for nearly 2 years) thinking oh, man.... I need to paint. Roll / brush, with good quality stuff. I don't want to change the color, but I sure want to change the finish and the coverage, and make it much easier to clean.

<Sigh>

Not 'til Fall, though, I hate painting when it's super hot.

I wonder if my kids would do good work if I offered to pay them to tape the baseboards & door frames off (as opposed to just being a taskmaster and telling them to do it); I really don't like taping. They do great if they have interest in the work, so the first room or two might go well... I'll have to space it out. :lol: Best paint experience I ever had, my former VP of finance (my then-boss's boss's equal, different department but amazing person to work with, he made all those accounting classes I nearly wept through years before just suddenly MAKE SENSE - and created a monster in the process :lol: because ever since, I've looked at all projects through the sometimes-unfavorable lens of accounting) taped everything off for me because it was - direct quote - "the only fun part of painting." Smart, nice... but weird. Did a fantastic job though, the tape was super straight, stayed where he put it. Wonder what he's doing this fall :lol:

DH is texting pics of trim and their silhouettes from Lowe's. His idea of home improvement fun :)

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Lowe's! So, a spend day. It's my fault, though. We have a friend who has a relative who has had to go to an assisted living place because of Alzheimer's. They had emptied the house of everything any relative wanted and had lots of stuff left over and wanted to know if anyone wanted any of it before they had to get someone to come haul it away. And I'm a person who can't stand to see anything old get chucked versus repaired / refinished.

Wound up with a fridge that's much newer than my standing freezer and works perfectly. YAY I can get rid of the dorm fridge (it freezes stuff, no matter what cold setting we use, and that's annoying) and have extra fridge space because the interior fridge is counter-depth and while it looks good, it doesn't have the capacity of the big French-doors on top / pull-out freezer on the bottom behemoth we left at the last house (buyer bought it) and DS... well, his appetite finally kicked 'on' in the last year (he's 15) and that is not the time to have a smaller fridge AND a pandemic, combined.

So, now, I have stuff to upcycle. FUN! The icky old metal and wood bench that had been neglected for years is going to get new wood, new stain, new (after being stripped down to metal) Rustoleum - and a plaque to honor friend's relative, because based on her shed and backyard, at one point she liked flowers and gardening, so we're going to put her bench in the garden. :D