Suggestions for potato & onion storage

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
gaylejackson2

Suggestions for potato & onion storage

Post by gaylejackson2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm

Dear friends,

I need suggestions for onion & potato storage for my kitchen pantry.

We have been leaving them in their bags setting on the pantry floor, but as I was just sweeping out onions skins from the pantry floor I was thinking that there has got to be a better way than this.

I have 5-gallon and 6-gallon buckets of rice, sugar, flour, oatmeal, etc., under my lower pantry shelves, and could possibly remove one of them to store the veggies in it's space.

What do you all use? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me?

Thanks.

MackerelCat

Re: Suggestions for potato & onion storage

Post by MackerelCat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:52 pm

It is too hot here in the South to leave potatoes and onions in the pantry except in the coldest part of winter. Our pantry backs up to an exterior wall and stays cool in the winter. Otherwise, I keep them in the fridge and buy only what is needed at the time.

I seem to recall that they need some air circulation, so maybe you can keep them in small laundry baskets to contain the dust from the potatoes and the shed papery peel from the onions.
Mackie

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:13 pm

gaylejackson2 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:14 pm
Dear friends,

I need suggestions for onion & potato storage for my kitchen pantry.

We have been leaving them in their bags setting on the pantry floor, but as I was just sweeping out onions skins from the pantry floor I was thinking that there has got to be a better way than this.

I have 5-gallon and 6-gallon buckets of rice, sugar, flour, oatmeal, etc., under my lower pantry shelves, and could possibly remove one of them to store the veggies in it's space.

What do you all use? Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me?

Thanks.
I've never lived anywhere the temps are cool enough to store potatoes for more than a week and onions for more than 2. If I put either in the pantry they'd start rotting inside a week - I keep them on a kitchen counter, unbagged, so the air can circulate. Ah, humidity, how I dislike it...

Do you have room for any of those hanging things? I just looked up 'hanging onion bags' on google and the myriad of styles... I bet you could even create something specific for your space.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:17 pm

I keep my potatoes in the fridge

Onions - since we buy a bag of 5-6 med sized - just stay in the pantry. But they are not on top of each other - keep them in a bowl.

We use them up quickly so very rarely do they go bad.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:37 pm

I read way too much strange stuff - macrame has made a comeback!

Also, there are techniques that use pantyhose. Less attractive than the macrame.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 pm

Hubby built a box to store our potatoes and onions in, and that box is in the basement cold room.

I usually bring up what we need for a week, and I have a storage bin up here as well.

Even storing them in the cold room, sprouting happens.