Do You Use A Price Book?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Do You Use A Price Book?

Post by Jackielou » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 am

Just wondering how many of us use a physical price book, or have used one in the past, or if you just manage to keep prices straight in your head.

How many are thinking of returning to this frugal method of tracking prices?

itspennyc

Re: Do You Use A Price Book?

Post by itspennyc » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 am

I can't see the advantage of a price book, I have one supermarket near my apartment, I no longer drive. I refuse to buy food at Walmart.

Prices at H-E-B are good, yes many prices have gone up.

This happened over 50 years ago, but the story is the same. I was in line at the Army commissary on the post where we lived. Behind me were 2 women who had carts full of just meat. They were commenting on how much they had saved, and the quality was better too. They had driven over 50 miles to come to my small commissary.

In my opinion you have to consider the cost of getting to multiple stores.

When my children were small we lived in a small city with 4 different supermarkets. 3 were within 1 mille of our town house. When the ad came out I would buy milk along with all the loss leaders at each store. The next time I needed milk I would take advantage of one of the other stores. Milk was the same price at each store.

Penny

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:51 pm

I keep prices in my head now because there's not a lot we buy any more. I buy mostly name brands for my guys and always know a good price on what they like and on store brand staples.

I used to travel to shop Aldi, but don't now that we live with one a few miles away. Once the stores were remodeled, I found them hard to get around in -- the lighting went darker just as I started having vision problems -- and we just don't eat that much any more.
Mackie

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:20 pm

I am - albeit a very limited one. Things I use up only a couple times per year - mustard, pickles, relish, etc are not worth the time to track. I will just get one when I need it. Things I know I won't track -i.e I've found Sams Club toilet tissue to be the best deal, so I just buy it there - if it hits close to my price point of 50 cents per roll, then I will look around.

But I am tracking variables this year - meat - veggies we use - grocery items. But honestly - if it is an item a buy at Aldis, very seldom do loss leaders beat the price.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:54 pm

I pretty much buy the same things so I've actually committed the prices to memory so when I do see them on sale, I know when to buy. I have 6 supermarkets within a 3 mile radius so it's easy to go from store to store if need be.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:53 am

I don't exactly have a price book. I have a composition notebook where I keep my weekly menus and grocery lists and I clip any coupons I might use and my grocery receipts in there. In the back of the notebook I have jotted down a few prices of things I buy a lot of - and where I got them at that price.

So - if I can get the Save A Lot brand of peanut butter there for $1.69 but the regular grocery had natural peanut butter on sale for $2.00 and I had a $1.00 of coupon, I'm aware that it was the cheapest option but that Save A Lot was my next cheapest option.

I'm trying to eat healthier and stick with the all natural peanut butter that is just peanuts and salt - it is normally quite expensive though.