A day in the life...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

A day in the life...

Post by randamax »

I know that many of us on here are animal lovers. I include myself in this group as well. I've always had a dog in my life, and I intend to do so now and forever more! In my opinion, dogs are the perfect critters. They give and receive love generously. They're cute, cuddly and curious little beings. They don't ask for much, but offer so much in return. Ahhhhh, just love me some dogs! In fact, as bad as it may sound, I'm known for saying 'I like dogs better than most people'...and by that, I like dogs more than I like most people! Though I don't know if everyone reads it quite that way ;)

So last night, I'm sitting here communing with my dog. I'm not sure who gets more out of this - her or me. As any dog lover can tell you, communing with your dog is very therapeutic. Anyway, I started thinking about Millie and her little life. I often say to Kevin 'Do you think she knows how much we love her?' And he always says yes. I hope she does. As have been most of the dogs in my life, we found Millie four years ago at a local shelter. She had come in as a stray a few days before Christmas. The shelter estimated that she was about 3 years old at the time; she had recently had a litter of pups. We found her cowering in the very back of her concrete shelter. She looked quite sad and she was very skittish. We finally (!!) cajoled her into coming to the front so that we could pet her - it took a long time, and was truly a lesson in patience! We told the staff we'd like to take her to 'the yard' (sounds kinda like prison to me...and I guess it kinda is!) to interact with her. She was shy at first, but warmed up to us fairly quickly. After an hour or so, we decided we wanted to make her part of our family and started the adoption process. We couldn't take her home that day as she had a few more days for someone to claim her. Two days later, she was available for adoption, but the shelter said she had to be spayed before we could take her home. They told us we could take her home after she'd aroused from her surgery, but when we went to pick her up - our third trip - they said she had kennel cough and they couldn't do the surgery. However, they did allow us to take her home with the promise that we would have her spayed at a local shelter within 3 months. DEAL She snuggled in my arms the entire trip home.

She's a doll, this baby of ours! We have the best time together. Here is her typical day: the alarm goes off at 5:15 a.m. - she jumps on the bed and snuggles right up to our faces, making sure we're awake. She and her dad go for a walk around the neighborhood. After they get home, Kevin and I sit and have coffee before he gets ready for work - Millie comes in for her first mom-snuggle of the day. After a while, she retreats to the garden room where she's got the perfect view of the neighborhood. She watches the world go by for a while. Then, it's breakfast time - meaning I have to share my yogurt with her. A little more snuggling, then it's time to go outside and check out the 'hood again - maybe I'll get brushed today! Alas, it's time to get to work...following mom around watching over me as I accomplish tasks and putter around the house. Hopefully it will be a day where we have an errand to run and she'll get to go for a ride! Then back home for a nap. Mid-afternoon...time for a snack. Back to neighborhood watch while the kids play out in their yards. DAD'S home! Much excitement!! Now it's time to play with dad and BoBo: she's got 6 BoBo toys and hoards them all during playtime. It's great fun! Tummy growling - it must be dinner time. Back out to the 'hood for a while to see what's new. BESSERT! One of her favorite things in the world! Now a little snuggle time before going to bed. Finally, one last cuddle and it's off to doggie dreamland.

It's truly a dog's life my friends. We should all be so lucky.

gaylejackson2

Re: A day in the life...

Post by gaylejackson2 »

She does sound like a fun pup. I'm glad you have her.

I'm not strong enough right now to keep our 2 pups from dragging me when they need to go outside for their business, so they have to stay in kennel while children are in school, until ds15 is home, and he cares for them. They are "family dogs" though Blue is Ds15's and Magnus is ds17's, and they are 100% in charge of caring for the pups (I do give them water in evenings though). Magnus is the one who sits by me when I'm feeling extra ill, he knows somehow that I feel sick, and he props his head on my knee if I'm in the recliner, or sleeps by my bed.

ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

randamax wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:54 am
I know that many of us on here are animal lovers. I include myself in this group as well. I've always had a dog in my life, and I intend to do so now and forever more! In my opinion, dogs are the perfect critters. They give and receive love generously. They're cute, cuddly and curious little beings. They don't ask for much, but offer so much in return. Ahhhhh, just love me some dogs! In fact, as bad as it may sound, I'm known for saying 'I like dogs better than most people'...and by that, I like dogs more than I like most people! Though I don't know if everyone reads it quite that way ;)

So last night, I'm sitting here communing with my dog. I'm not sure who gets more out of this - her or me. As any dog lover can tell you, communing with your dog is very therapeutic. Anyway, I started thinking about Millie and her little life. I often say to Kevin 'Do you think she knows how much we love her?' And he always says yes. I hope she does. As have been most of the dogs in my life, we found Millie four years ago at a local shelter. She had come in as a stray a few days before Christmas. The shelter estimated that she was about 3 years old at the time; she had recently had a litter of pups. We found her cowering in the very back of her concrete shelter. She looked quite sad and she was very skittish. We finally (!!) cajoled her into coming to the front so that we could pet her - it took a long time, and was truly a lesson in patience! We told the staff we'd like to take her to 'the yard' (sounds kinda like prison to me...and I guess it kinda is!) to interact with her. She was shy at first, but warmed up to us fairly quickly. After an hour or so, we decided we wanted to make her part of our family and started the adoption process. We couldn't take her home that day as she had a few more days for someone to claim her. Two days later, she was available for adoption, but the shelter said she had to be spayed before we could take her home. They told us we could take her home after she'd aroused from her surgery, but when we went to pick her up - our third trip - they said she had kennel cough and they couldn't do the surgery. However, they did allow us to take her home with the promise that we would have her spayed at a local shelter within 3 months. DEAL She snuggled in my arms the entire trip home.

She's a doll, this baby of ours! We have the best time together. Here is her typical day: the alarm goes off at 5:15 a.m. - she jumps on the bed and snuggles right up to our faces, making sure we're awake. She and her dad go for a walk around the neighborhood. After they get home, Kevin and I sit and have coffee before he gets ready for work - Millie comes in for her first mom-snuggle of the day. After a while, she retreats to the garden room where she's got the perfect view of the neighborhood. She watches the world go by for a while. Then, it's breakfast time - meaning I have to share my yogurt with her. A little more snuggling, then it's time to go outside and check out the 'hood again - maybe I'll get brushed today! Alas, it's time to get to work...following mom around watching over me as I accomplish tasks and putter around the house. Hopefully it will be a day where we have an errand to run and she'll get to go for a ride! Then back home for a nap. Mid-afternoon...time for a snack. Back to neighborhood watch while the kids play out in their yards. DAD'S home! Much excitement!! Now it's time to play with dad and BoBo: she's got 6 BoBo toys and hoards them all during playtime. It's great fun! Tummy growling - it must be dinner time. Back out to the 'hood for a while to see what's new. BESSERT! One of her favorite things in the world! Now a little snuggle time before going to bed. Finally, one last cuddle and it's off to doggie dreamland.

It's truly a dog's life my friends. We should all be so lucky.
Randa, I don't have a dog...but we have grand dogs and see them every day. They are both rescues. They are members of the family!
Your dog and "our" dogs are truly loved. I do think they know it. They are indeed lucky...and so are we! They give SO much.

I am a firm believer in...If you don't love your pet that much...you shouldn't have one. They have no choice in who "owns" them.

LOVED reading this!

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I truly believe there is a reason dog is God spelled backwards. They are a gift from God and truly good creatures. They are everything many humans are not and when you see a flawed, aggressive mean dog, it is the result of conditioning by mistreatment.

I am certain they know when they are loved. Abigail reigns supreme in our household.

randamax

Post by randamax »

ChristmasTrees wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:12 pm
Randa, I don't have a dog...but we have grand dogs and see them every day. They are both rescues. They are members of the family!
Your dog and "our" dogs are truly loved. I do think they know it. They are indeed lucky...and so are we! They give SO much.

I am a firm believer in...If you don't love your pet that much...you shouldn't have one. They have no choice in who "owns" them.

LOVED reading this!
Thanks! I totally agree. Dogs have no choice - WE do! I cannot even listen to the animal abuse stories they sometimes have on the news. It's just soul crushing :(

randamax

Post by randamax »

colonialgirl wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:57 pm
I truly believe there is a reason dog is God spelled backwards.
Kevin and I say this very thing all the time. Definitely not a coincidence. I'll bet Abigail is a happy little one!