An update on the weighted blanket issue

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

An update on the weighted blanket issue

Post by randamax » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:03 pm

You may recall that I posted about a month or so ago about the pros and cons of a weighted blanket. At that time I asked if anyone here had any experience with/about them. Kevin had bought us one for Christmas and I was trying to decide if it was something I really wanted ... or not. He bought it with good intentions of helping to ease my anxiety so that I could sleep better, but the blanket seemed too heavy to me, I wasn't sure if it was something I could handle. Several of you did respond with information, most of it read as unfavorable, so I vacillated back and forth over whether to keep the blanket, or send it back.

So I started doing a little research. I asked my doctor if he felt there were any negative impacts of using this type of blanket and he said no, nothing negative, but there could be the potential of positive. Good to hear. Then I searched a bit more. I had been taking melatonin to help me sleep. It worked pretty well, but I still had some sleep issues. I started reading up on melatonin, and I sure wish I'd read it BEFORE I started taking it. I liked the thought of it being a natural product, so I guess I just let that fact lull me into thinking it was good. Well, it turns out that it's not. Not that it isn't natural and not that it isn't beneficial - but, as it turns out, it's not a good product for ME. The cancer that I have is hormonally driven - it's fueled by an increase of seratonin which is naturally produced by your body. The problem is that when you have this kind of cancer, the seratonin production goes into overdrive and makes the cancer grow. There are certain things - particularly foods and stress - that increase seratonin levels in the blood. I try to avoid both. When I started reading about melatonin (melatonin and seratonin are like the yin and yang), most brands that are available also contain up to 26% seratonin! Good night! I was shocked when I read that. I certainly don't need anything that is going to INCREASE my seratonin levels! So, of course, I stopped taking melatonin immediately.

Which leads me to the blanket. I thought since there were no negatives, other than the increased weight, I'd give it another go. WELL. I am happy to say that, over the last month, I have really enjoyed that blanket! I find that I sleep more soundly, I don't toss or turn, and I wake up far more refreshed than I ever have before. Additionally, since it has been cold (by my standards, at least) here lately, the blanket has kept me nice and toasty. I almost hate to crawl out of bed in the morning!

I'm so glad that we did not end up sending it back. If you've considered a weighted blanket but can't decide, in my humble opinion, it's definitely worth a try!

chocolite

Re: An update on the weighted blanket issue

Post by chocolite » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:02 am

I've thought about having one so many times. My question to you is: do you also have a sheet between you and the blanket? And do you have any other bedding (quilt, comforter, etc.?)

Thanks!
Patty

randamax

Post by randamax » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:43 am

chocolite wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:02 am
I've thought about having one so many times. My question to you is: do you also have a sheet between you and the blanket? And do you have any other bedding (quilt, comforter, etc.?)

Thanks!
Yes, we use our regular bedding - a top sheet and light comforter; the weighted blanket goes on top of that. It's in a duvet cover that can be easily removed for washing.

chocolite

Post by chocolite » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:27 pm

Got it. Thanks Randa.
Patty