One more thing about baked potatoes...

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
randamax

One more thing about baked potatoes...

Post by randamax » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 pm

All of that talk the other day made me hungry for baked potatoes!! I've baked many potatoes over the years and have used many different methods. Our conversation the other day prompted me to google and see what I found.

One of the suggestions I read was completely new to me! You guys have probably all heard this before - sometimes I'm on the last train to Clarksville! lol - but I'll share it here just in case.

The blogger said that she coats her washed and dried russet potatoes in olive oil (so far, I'm up to speed...I've done this many a time), and THEN, she coats them in salt! Not a heavy dousing, mind you, but enough to flavor the potato from the outside and make you want to eat the skin - which is really where all of the nutrients are. DUH Why have I not thought of this before?

So. Of course I had to try it! I had three large russets in the drawer. I pre-heated the oven to 425, washed the potatoes and coated them in the olive oil and salt and placed them on a baking sheet. One hour later, I removed those beauties from the oven and added my homemade roasted garlic and herb butter and a bit (well, and then a bit more ;) ) sour cream and...oh.my.goodness. That is the best lunch I've had in a very long while!!

Sandi - I'm glad you started that thread! (Though I'm not so sure my hips will be at all happy with you! LOL)

SandiSAHM

Re: One more thing about baked potatoes...

Post by SandiSAHM » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm

randamax wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 pm
All of that talk the other day made me hungry for baked potatoes!! I've baked many potatoes over the years and have used many different methods. Our conversation the other day prompted me to google and see what I found.

One of the suggestions I read was completely new to me! You guys have probably all heard this before - sometimes I'm on the last train to Clarksville! lol - but I'll share it here just in case.

The blogger said that she coats her washed and dried russet potatoes in olive oil (so far, I'm up to speed...I've done this many a time), and THEN, she coats them in salt! Not a heavy dousing, mind you, but enough to flavor the potato from the outside and make you want to eat the skin - which is really where all of the nutrients are. DUH Why have I not thought of this before?

So. Of course I had to try it! I had three large russets in the drawer. I pre-heated the oven to 425, washed the potatoes and coated them in the olive oil and salt and placed them on a baking sheet. One hour later, I removed those beauties from the oven and added my homemade roasted garlic and herb butter and a bit (well, and then a bit more ;) ) sour cream and...oh.my.goodness. That is the best lunch I've had in a very long while!!

Sandi - I'm glad you started that thread! (Though I'm not so sure my hips will be at all happy with you! LOL)
What KIND of salt? Table salt?

randamax

Post by randamax » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:54 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:51 pm
What KIND of salt? Table salt?
I used kosher salt. For some reason it doesn't seem as salty to me as regular table salt.

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:06 pm

randamax wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:54 pm
I used kosher salt. For some reason it doesn't seem as salty to me as regular table salt.
My kosher seems a little chunky for this. I wish I'd kept my coffee grinder :?

There's some Himalayan pink here (it was on a clearance rack and I thought it was pretty - yes, San, that's why we buy salt!) that's also chunky.

Hmm.

randamax

Post by randamax » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 pm

SandiSAHM wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:06 pm
My kosher seems a little chunky for this. I wish I'd kept my coffee grinder :?

There's some Himalayan pink here (it was on a clearance rack and I thought it was pretty - yes, San, that's why we buy salt!) that's also chunky.

Hmm.
Can you put it in a baggie and use a rolling pin to make it finer?

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:47 pm

I had this crazy idea that I might put it in the blender. Sift the small stuff out and put the rest back in the jar.