Daily Check In January 16, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In January 16, 2020

Post by Jackielou » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:18 am

Since no one has started us off I will. Back soon with coffee in hand.

Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In January 16, 2020

Post by Jackielou » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:46 am

Good morning fellow frugalites,

First a weather announcement. The temperature here this morning is -30 C (-22 F) but it feels like -42 C (-44 F). I don't think I will be going anywhere at all today, or at least not until this evening when I have to go. I will be leaving the car running while at the mobile breast clinic, that's for sure. I should only be 15 minutes or so and can hopefully park close to the unit as dangerously low temperatures can cause frostbite very quickly.

Today I will pay bills on line (the few we seem to have) and try to sign up for more notifications online. I seem to be missing a couple of bills that should have been here by now and there is no way I am going to pay a penalty. No shopping, we have more than enough to last us through this cold snap. This does mean using my vehicle a bit more often this next week, but sometimes things like this can not be helped. At least not around here.

Phoning eldest DS as well today, probably when I get home from the scan. There is an hours difference in time, so phoning at what could be considered a late time will hit him at probably just the right time.

Since I won't be shopping (unless there is a drastic change in the weather), I will continue my baking spree as well. Today will be a couple of zucchini loaves, a loaf of bread (must check and see if it is needed first) and the glaze for my chocolate Bundt cake. Of course there are daily chores that need to be completed as well.

I finished cutting the t-shirts into strips yesterday, and have them put away. Down to one box!!! I also did a bit more rearranging of the sewing/craft room and will do a bit more today. I will hopefully be sewing those cut out projects by the weekend.

This means that today I will work on the prayer shawl or read during the daylight hours and just the prayer shawl knitting in the evening. My goal list for the month is really not getting much smaller. I seem to be finding other things to occupy my time with.

Frugally speaking meals are still being prepared at home using items that are on hand, and I am incorporating leftovers where ever I can. The fridge and fridge freezer are looking pretty good. Well the fridge more than the freezer at any rate ;) .

In this extreme cold, I am so happy that I no longer have to go to work every day. It is really very nice to snuggle in and just be some days. Also since I am no longer working I don't use as much gas, or need as many clothing items.

Supper tonight is going to be the leftover ham casserole along with a salad.

Today I am grateful for quilts and shawls to snuggle into.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:50 am

Good morning all,

I have returned from my trip and hubs did just fine without me. The neighbors were ready to help him, but he is feeling so good, he was able to do everything on his own. He even drove the car to pick up a prescription and go to the store. He cooked for himself a couple of times even though I had plenty of microwave food here for him. He continues to improve health wise on this keto diet. It saved his life.

I flew into Houston and stayed with my old dance partner. When I arrived he was sick. He was blocked up badly. He had come home sick from his scuba trip in early December with a pneumonia type cold. The doctor put him on a strong 2 week antibiotic. But old dance partner did not take his probiotics or yogurt and so his bowels went bad. So after giving him a finger shaking lecture, he started his probiotics and yogurt. I made him huge salads everyday with at least 4 different kinds of vegetables on a bed of iceberg lettuce. Iceburg lettuce has an amazing ability to unblock the bowels and by the third day, normalcy had returned. Old dance partner had given up alcohol after more than 65 years. He is 85. His doctor said it was damaging his heart. This was the first time I had seen him since giving it up. He is a much nicer person without it. After a New Years dance and a second dance, we boarded the cruise ship for 7 days of dancing. Unfortunately, he got sick on the second day. Being regular cruisers, we knew to bring Imodium D. The so called norovirus is actually food poisoning, but the cruise industry has sold the idea it is a very contagious virus. We shared the cabin as well as dancing close together the entire time and I never got sick. This is the second cruise where he has gotten it. He got it before on a cruise around 2008. I didn't get sick that time either. I make it a policy to eat only foods I recognize and avoid foods hidden in sauces etc.

I got an email about a neighborhood rezoning issue while I was traveling. So I am going to have plunge into that after I get a few things in order. First thing was to check on my neighbors. So I visited my neighbors, Eggman and wife. She is doing ok with her spinal electrodes. This morning I walked with my neighbor across the street, nervous neighbor. She is doing ok too. I found out that snowbird neighbor next door who is down here for the winter and is nervous neighbor's regular walking buddy has a very bad hip and so they haven't been walking.

Today, I will head to the grocery store and pick up salad fixings and vegetables. Thaw out ground beef for stir fry. I have a whole turkey thawing in the refrigerator to cook when the cold spell hits on January 21. It will cool down this weekend they say, but freezing on the 21st. Been the pattern for about 3 years now. The rest of the day will be sweeping up leaves to put on my gardens. It is good to be home.

Today, I am grateful to live in a good neighborhood. Have a good day all.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:10 am

I slept almost through the night last night.

My dresses came in yesterday’s mail. They are in the washer. All are marked the same size, same style. But they are 3 different sizes.

When they are dry I will compare the length to a denim dress that I know is a good length and then shorten each of them.

I am now knitting the neck band of my sweater.

When I finish weaving in the ends I will be working on my daughter’s birthday present.

Penny

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 am

Good morning everyone. We had a cold front move in last night. The wind was howling all night. We went from a high in the ( 50's F) to (19 F ) (-7 C) with a wind chill of ( 10 F) ( -12 C). However compared to Jackie it is balmy here.

Not much going on here today other than cooking. I am trying to use up what is in the fridge freezer. I am doing well. I ordered some meat yesterday and it will come around my birthday. It is my birthday present to myself. I figure at 75 I can splurge..lol. The main reason is I want to loose weight and with the meat already to cook in portion size, either on an indoor grill, oven or skillet, it will be easier to plan my meals around the meat base. I really need to loose weight for when I have my back surgery. I am hoping to hold off on that for a long time. but you never know. The Dr said it was my decision when I want it done.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:44 am

Good morning all.

A bit brisk today. Temps are supposed to be in the low to mid-40s but strong wind will make it feel like it's in the 30s and even the 20s later today.

Just got back from the bank and a quick stop at the grocery store. Can't imagine why but I was actually craving for a tuna fish sandwich (the only fish I will eat in the only form I will eat it in). Have to say it was good. I actually did a half sandwich so that I can eat the rest of it for lunch.

Have the computer tech coming in tomorrow between 10 and 12:00 Noon. I think I have all my files that need to be transferred. Now I just need to put together the list of the things I need him to do because a lot of it I can do myself. It will be SO good to have a computer that doesn't come up with Restart and update and then undo the changes every other day.

With no coloring group next week, I'll be doing a personal color chart for a set of pencils I have and then doing You Tube to learn some shading techniques and color combinations.

For dinner tonight I plan on having some chicken noodle soup and saltine crackers. If extra hungry, I'll pull out one of my "smaller" salads.

Have a nice day.