Daily check in March 25, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dgflorida

Daily check in March 25, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all. Let's get started.

Dgflorida

Re: Daily check in March 25, 2020

Post by Dgflorida »

Good morning all,

Another perfect day in Florida. The morning air is cool and the afternoons in the 80's. Always a breeze and plenty of sunshine.

Yesterday, I needed to rest. I simply had been pushing myself too hard in the yard and I was feeling that feeling we call "run down". So I just did easy work, watered everything and potted up volunteer flowers that were growing in the grass.

Today, I feel refreshed and up to some serious work. Time to build on my porch garden. My bad knee limits the number of concrete blocks I can wrestle with, but I know I can make some progress. Also move some pavers into useful places. Also finish the expanded garden on the northwest corner of the house. That is a pretty full day. Tidy and organize if my back gets too tired.

Today, we will have fish for dinner. I bought this bag of frozen fish from Aldi's that was supposed to be pollack. I don't think it is, but it is ok. I made chicken breasts and beans in the crockpot yesterday, so I want to change it up today. Leftover chicken and beans tomorrow. Hubs really likes it.

Another quiet day at home. Normal frugal activities.

Today, I am grateful for butterflies. I am glad I raise them. Have a good day everyone.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

My county commission is meeting this morning to vote on a stay-at-home order. Looks like a good chance it will pass. They had wanted our whole Tampa Bay Area to be in sync but that doesn’t look likely at least now. The main city in my county, St. Petersburg, wants the stay-at-home order as does Tampa, the city in the next county. But that county has said No.

So ... I’ll go to mom’s house this morning and water focusing on the side that I didn’t get done a few days ago. I believe everything will do OK because the plants are well established, mostly hibiscus, allamanda and crotons.

The extra Rx food I ordered for Pippi is scheduled to arrive today. Now I have plenty. She goes through phases but recently has been eating well.

When this all is over I’m going to buy a microwave. I never replaced mine when it broke a year ago. I miss it for reheating. I could order one from Amazon or wherever but I don’t know if it would be easy to pick it up if they delivered it on my front step. Kind of dead weight and now I can’t ask for help. I still have mom’s microwave at her house and I could move it but don’t trust it because there are places inside where the enamel has chipped. I use it once in awhile there but I would rather do without than use it here.

Take care.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Friends,

It is warmer here today - I still wouldn't say it's "warm" though. Overcast so far but maybe the sun will be out later. I have some soft music playing, a candle lit and am working my way through a couple cups of coffee.

It's almost time for me to get dressed and start my work day. On my lunch break, I will text my parents their "daily riddle" - they seem to be enjoying that.

I did a "food inventory" last night. I've barely put a dent in my supplies. We will run out of dog treats first - and my dogs will be pitching a FIT but I won't risk life and limb to go get more of those. My fresh items are lasting longer than I had hoped.

All is quiet next door this morning. Apparently the neighbor tied his dogs out like everyone else does - which is the law here. Hope was out for a good 15 minutes and no sign of another dog. Lucy is still sleeping - I'm sure she will be up and want to go out the minute I start working. :-)

Although I'm mostly saving my oatmeal for when I run out of almond milk, I am going to have that for breakfast today as a way to use up the juice off some canned fruit that I opened over the weekend. I did freeze some of it.

Whatever you do today, whatever projects you undertake, books you read, etc. - I hope you will look for your blessings and find joy. Later friends.

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

A cloudy day today, mid-40s expected. Will miss the sun from yesterday.

I've been wondering if the people who are currently out of jobs due to the health crisis and living on a now fixed or almost no income will finally come to understand how we retirees live. It seems that the younger generations just don't understand why many boomers never saved. They also act as if we all started working at $20 an hour. If any good comes of this at all (in addition to a viable vaccine) I hope that the younger generations get a better understanding of life and develop more compassion for others who have to live on poverty incomes or have fallen on bad times.

I did write down the things I did yesterday just to see how much I could do in a day and I wasn't trying to go out of my way doing things. I found that most of the things happen unconsciously so that's why I feel as though I have not accomplished anything.

Today is not only Waffle Day but Pecan Day as well. Waffle Day is a day that you can waffle on issues and decisions. And, it certainly is a day to get out the waffle iron and eat waffles. The origin of the waffle was the 1300s in Greece. Greeks cooked flat cakes between two metal pans. Toppings included cheeses and herbs as there was no pancake syrup around at that time.

Today is a day to celebrate the popular, tasty Pecan. I don't particularly like them myself however. Did you know that Pecan trees are the only nut trees native to North America?

Have a nice Waffle or Pecan Day!

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

A bit cooler this morning, but I can really feel spring in the air. So looking forward to balmy days sitting on the deck enjoying the sunshine, and whatever flowers grow, I may just have to check out the store when shopping to see if they have some seeds I can start inside. I love colour and perhaps this year colour will be in big demand.

I need to run to the shop today, just to pick up a few items for DS and our trip back up there. He really does not have much room to store things, but I will squeeze some cans and dried foods in where I can.

Fuel has dropped to a record low here at 85.9 a liter for regular gas. I don't think I have seen it this low in many years. It is a double edged sword as much of Canada's western economies run on the price of oil. I foresee layoffs and shutdowns in the future unless the price stabilizes. I hear the Saudi's are now concerned with how far the price has fallen as well, they did start this price war with Russia so they had better solve it quickly.

Plans for today are run to the store early as possible (in and out) for a shopping adventure, come home put groceries away, sew another couple of face masks now that I have the knack (hopefully changing the needle improves the quality of the stitching or I will have to take the machine apart and clean it), doing some baking (unbacked cookies, double batch), knitting (must finish second dishcloth), and of course taking a couple of walks out in the fresh air.

Mostly just the usual household chores to accomplish as well. Nothing too large on the list either, though I think I may just pull out all the turkey carcasses I have been saving to make into stock tomorrow.

My friend phoned yesterday and was bored out of her mind. This is the one whose husband has turned into a hoarder of supplies, and who seems to always have what other people mention they have within the week. I do feel sorry for her as she has no hobbies, says she can't go for a walk as her knees are too bad, and no longer really cooks or bakes. Poor soul has nothing to really fall back on in times like these. I will more than likely be getting even more calls in the upcoming days.

Supper tonight is supposed to be the leftovers from Monday night, however I am not sure there is enough for both of us. I will ask Hubby and if he says there is I will add a salad to the mixture (those veggies need using up) and stretch the curry on a lovely bed of rice. If not, well I will add last nights leftovers as well, kind of a smorg.

Watching the daytime temperature slowly creep up brings me joy. Knowing that very soon we will be able to sit in our yards and even BBQ is amazing.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.