Puff Pancakes and Homemade Syrup

Crockpot recipes, canning recipes, quick meals, creative use-it-ups -- swap you tried-and-true recipes here.
littlemiss63

Puff Pancakes and Homemade Syrup

Post by littlemiss63 »

I have been looking for simple recipes to make from scratch and had forgotten this one. Thought I would share since we may have younger people who aren't experienced cooks and could make these two with ingredients from a basic pantry.

Dad's Pancake & Waffle Syrup
Ingredients:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
4 cups water
1/4 lb. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
Directions:

Combine all ingredients, except butter and vanilla, in a saucepan and slow boil to thicken. Once thickened, add the butter and vanilla. Serve warm.

Puff Pancakes

1 Tbsp of Vegetable Oil
4 Large Eggs
2/3 cups All purpose Flour
2/3 cup of Milk
1 ½ Tbsp Cold margarine/butter

Mix vegetable oil, eggs, flour and milk with a mixer or in a blender.
Melt the butter in a skillet in a preheated oven of 450º. Pour in the batter and cook for 20 minutes without opening. Reduce temperature to 350º and bake 20 minutes longer.

Sprinkle with confectioners sugar, cut into wedges and serve with warm syrup.

(I believe this one came from one of Amy's Tightwad Gazette's newsletter years ago.)

frugalaaron

Re: Puff Pancakes and Homemade Syrup

Post by frugalaaron »

My Frugal Home Buttermilk Pancake Recipe: https://www.myfrugalhome.com/homemade-b ... ix-recipe/

Also... Here's my simple maple syrup recipe:
Pour two cups of sugar into one cup of boiling water. Stir to combine. Add some mapleine.

gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

Thank you for the syrup and pancake recipes.

frugalaaron

Post by frugalaaron »

You're welcome. Erin developed this recipe, several summers ago. They taste a lot like IHOP pancakes.

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

frugalaaron wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:17 pm
My Frugal Home Buttermilk Pancake Recipe: https://www.myfrugalhome.com/homemade-buttermilk-pancake-mix-recipe/

Also... Here's my simple maple syrup recipe:
Pour two cups of sugar into one cup of boiling water. Stir to combine. Add some mapleine.
frugalaaron,

Have used your recipe (Erin's) this week to make pancakes and they were delicious. I didn't make the entire recipe of mix, adjusted it and used self-rising flour instead of all purpose flour. I watch my sugar and even omitted that and they were still wonderful. Light, fluffy and tummy filling. Had enough batter using 2 cups of flour for two meals. This is a winner!