Dumpster Diving

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Dumpster Diving

Post by HappyDaze »

Wow - I know I'm spending too much time at home when I start watching dumpster diving videos on YouTube - but friends, there is this woman - and along with her husband, she dumpster dives ALL - or very close to all of her family's food.

I would not have thought I would have watched more than one video on this - but I can't stop watching hers. What amazes me the most is the amount of good, healthy food she gets - fresh cauliflower, strawberries, oranges, milk (not expired), other dairy products and produce, meat, packaged foods, bakery items, specialty groceries and on and on and on.

She mostly (ahem) "shops" at Aldi and Save A Lot but also does Walmart and Dollar Tree. I don't think I would eve do this - unless I had no other way to obtain food of course - but - I think I'm a little jealous of all the good stuff this woman gets for FREE. A lot of it is stuff that I'm too cheap to pay for or don't feel that I can afford because I watch every penny.

Thoughts?

MackerelCat

Re: Dumpster Diving

Post by MackerelCat »

I have read the dumpster diving sub-Reddit and found it fascinating. It also made me vow to never buy makeup on eBay!

I wonder how she finds so many dumpsters unlocked to get the food? So many stores lock them or pour bleach on the food.
Mackie

rinty

Post by rinty »

Eww, make up ! I get being a bit envious but no, just no, I couldn't plan to get food that way as your normal " shopping ".

Mackie, I haven't said this before and homeless buddy must have moved in whilst I was screaming into a pillow over DS and not posting, but my goodness, what a GOOD person you are. You have always been good to him and your little lady with the 2 small children, but tm as a permanent houseguest, I am in awe.

Truly when I first realised he was living with you it choked me up and I read it to DH and we said there is a wonderful family.

You know the quote " Preach the Gospel, if necessary use words "

That's you X

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I do know that quote and take it very much to heart. Homeless Buddy is doing so well. He's gained some weight, his health has improved, he's in several social aid programs now aimed at helping him with housing, medical care and possibly a job, and he's a joy to have around. Our cranky, mostly blind dog just adores him. You can't ask for better than that.
Mackie

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:08 pm
I have read the dumpster diving sub-Reddit and found it fascinating. It also made me vow to never buy makeup on eBay!

I wonder how she finds so many dumpsters unlocked to get the food? So many stores lock them or pour bleach on the food.
I don't think it will be long before the stores she is "diving" at are alerted - her location is going to be obvious to someone. She was commenting the other day that people are saying she is going to get "the virus" by shopping in the dumpster - but she said more likely to get it by going IN the store where the people are - I think she has a point there.