Does Anyone Buy Groceries from Amazon

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
littlemiss63

Does Anyone Buy Groceries from Amazon

Post by littlemiss63 »

I have never bought groceries from Amazon, has anyone else bought and what was your experience? Are prices mostly higher than local or comparable. I just looked at some canned fruit and Dole's pineapple tibits were 12 cans for $16.96. Walmarts site was exactly the same, only difference theirs come 6 cans to a case. Both will ship to your door at no charge. Not having to spend money for gas and wear/tear on your car counts for something. Lord, I may become a complete hermit.

Quilter51

Re: Does Anyone Buy Groceries from Amazon

Post by Quilter51 »

You mean through whole foods? Or thru fresh and psntry. I have done the second two but not the first. Though I am about to place a whole foods order thru Amazon soon

Pantry has non perishible food, personal items pet food and do on and you fill a pantry box and it comes. Free shipping like anything else Amazon fresh has no membership but a small delivery fee fee and you'll w a nt to tip just like with instacart or something.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Littlemiss, I haven't done the "Fresh" or "Pantry" - I've just ordered some staple items from plain old Amazon.com - with good results. I am trying to fill in with some things that way - less time I have to spend in the store. I find that you have to look around each time you order - some things will actually be a pretty sweet deal - like your canned fruit - or at least "normal pricing" - while other things will be out of this world outrageously expensive.

So far I have purchased coffee and almond milk (6 pack of the shelf stable boxes) for myself and had coffee and soy milk shipped to my daughter, along with a few little "treats." I've also gotten tea, strawberry preserves, potato chips and ordered dog treats and dog and cat food a few times.

I've been able to find "normal" pricing on coffee and the 6-packs of shelf stable almond and soy milk have beat my grocery store prices by a country mile! Shipping can be a little long right now, which is understandable. I always go for the free shipping.

There have been some things I wanted that I just would not pay the prices they were asking (even though I "pay" with my mturk gift card earnings). The natural peanut butter I can get on sale at my local store for $2.99 - the price on Amazon is $19.99 for a pack of two - yes m'am, TEN BUCKS for a 16 oz. jar!!! Not doing that.

Let us know if you order and how you make out.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

littlemiss63 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:47 am
I have never bought groceries from Amazon, has anyone else bought and what was your experience? Are prices mostly higher than local or comparable. I just looked at some canned fruit and Dole's pineapple tibits were 12 cans for $16.96. Walmarts site was exactly the same, only difference theirs come 6 cans to a case. Both will ship to your door at no charge. Not having to spend money for gas and wear/tear on your car counts for something. Lord, I may become a complete hermit.
Youngest DS (the one who broke his hip) has ordered a few food items through Amazon.ca. He seems to like the service.

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

Fresh is very efficient and offers a two hour time frame there are some items I order without pantry but pantry is more efficient and less waste as it comes in one box not individual packaging.

I am willing to.pay a bit more than what would be normal prices to get things to my door plus which I have given up in store shopping. I just don't have the pat I rnce and I am happy with my produce choices be they from instacart, whole foods or fresh.

Not shopping in person for two full.months has made me realize I really don't need to ever again. (I realize we all have different comfort levels. Mine does not include going into real grocery as of yet)

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

I have only purchased things there that I have trouble getting at the store. Lawry's spaghetti sauce mix is a staple for us. I don't buy bottled sauce and this is the best seasoning for spaghetti sauce. The stores carry it but were always out. I bought a case from Amazon and was really pleased. Same with Adolph's steak sauce flavored meat marinade. I bought a case of that as well.

For regular groceries - I find them way too pricey for purchase.