So many people are hurting!

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

So many people are hurting!

Post by Sandy »

There is a church in my town that has started (today was the first time), once a month, having a semi load of fresh produce and dairy products to give away. Anyone wanting to partake in this only need pull into the church parking lot, get in line, and their vehicle is loaded by church volunteers according to the number of members in each family.

I had reason to drive down that stretch of highway today to take hubby his giant "ring o' keys" he walked out without this morning and my chin nearly hit my knees! There were THREE OHP cars...in the lane turning into the church's parking area...directing traffic both inside and on the highway because (and I kid you not) if there were less than 100 cars in line I'll eat your shoes!

I cried all the way home thinking of families with little kids who need that fresh produce and dairy so badly.

littlemiss63

Re: So many people are hurting!

Post by littlemiss63 »

Sandy wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:38 pm
There is a church in my town that has started (today was the first time), once a month, having a semi load of fresh produce and dairy products to give away. Anyone wanting to partake in this only need pull into the church parking lot, get in line, and their vehicle is loaded by church volunteers according to the number of members in each family.

I had reason to drive down that stretch of highway today to take hubby his giant "ring o' keys" he walked out without this morning and my chin nearly hit my knees! There were THREE OHP cars...in the lane turning into the church's parking area...directing traffic both inside and on the highway because (and I kid you not) if there were less than 100 cars in line I'll eat your shoes!

I cried all the way home thinking of families with little kids who need that fresh produce and dairy so badly.
Sandy, many of the churches in our area are involved in food programs just like the one you are talking about. Our church says if the people can't come to us then we go to them. I am so happy to see them stepping up like this to help people. I always think of the parable of Jesus feeding the people with 5 loaves of bread and 2 fishes. It always makes me feel good to see some of my tithe money going to people that need it.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

We have been having mega food drives in my county

The food bank from San Antonio usually does a weekly thing for different groups, but are now consolidating

Hundreds of vehicles line up!

littlemiss63

Post by littlemiss63 »

clemencia2us wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 11:08 pm
We have been having mega food drives in my county

The food bank from San Antonio usually does a weekly thing for different groups, but are now consolidating

Hundreds of vehicles line up!
Clem, I haven't been out in the area's that this is taking place here, but I understand it's the same way. I know this world isn't perfect, but it always does my heart good to see people helping people in times of need.

colonialgirl

Post by colonialgirl »

We have a food bank here in town - but I heard yesterday there is a group that has set up 9 mini food pantries. They are like 8 x4 cupboards that are mounted on the side of public buildings and people just fill them up voluntarily with donation of food.

Like you Sandy - the thought of hungry people absolutely breaks my heart. What kind of industrialized nation like the US has hungry citizens? It is unforgivable.

Sandy

Post by Sandy »

colonialgirl wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 am
We have a food bank here in town - but I heard yesterday there is a group that has set up 9 mini food pantries. They are like 8 x4 cupboards that are mounted on the side of public buildings and people just fill them up voluntarily with donation of food.

Like you Sandy - the thought of hungry people absolutely breaks my heart. What kind of industrialized nation like the US has hungry citizens? It is unforgivable.
I had a "friend" ask me not many days ago, "How can anyone be hungry in the United States, a country that has so much?"

Talk about "let me count the ways"...